West Coast Dock Backlog Delays New PowerBooks, Quad Speed Superdrives, FireWire F1

Discussion in 'Community' started by Multimedia, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

It was reported this morning that it's going to take 2 months for the 12 day west coast dock backlog to get caught up so everything we've been expecting soon may not show up much before MacWorld San Francisco 2003. It just depends where those drives are in the cue.

Even if they haven't been shipped from Japan yet, it's going to take longer for them to arrive because of this huge cue that has built up over these past 12 days. That includes things like the Pioneer DVR-A05 Quad Speed SuperDrive, the Yamaha External FireWire version of the CRW-F1, and the new PowerBooks that Apple has had to delay announcing because they're sitting on a ship that hasn't been able to be unloaded. So I think we're going to have to be extra patient about getting what we know is next.

Let's all remember that this was NOT a STRIKE by the workers but a LOCKOUT by management. Management did not negotiate in good faith and was willing to wait for the President to step in while Bananas and other perishable food rotted on those unserviced ships.

2. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

2 mos....

I seriously doubt 12 days will require 2 months of delay... logic dictates 12 days will set everything behind twelve days maybe a few more due to backed-up paperwork... let's not get everyone in an uproar just yet;) :)

3. nixd2001 macrumors regular

Re: 2 mos....

But wouldn't the same logic say that spending 12 days clearing a 12 days backlog will also create a new 12 day backlog?

4. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

sure does

exactly my point... as long as there is no more lock-out..... until they work overtime, or bring in extra help, there will be a rolling twelve day delay... not a two month. as long as the twelve days before is being moved in twelve days after, there is a continuous twelve day delay... it doesn't increase exponentially.

and I'm sure they will bring in extra hands for the next couple of weeks. I mean come on if there was a two month delay.... do you know what that would do to the economy?? It's not so. A few weeks at the most.. and that wouldn't stop apple from announcing... just shipping. PowerMac 1.25's anyone??

5. Multimedia thread starter macrumors 603

Multimedia

Don't shoot the messanger

I'm just passing on what was reported this morning by expert estimators. I don't think that 12 days of non-work equals only 12 days of delay. But I could be wrong. I hope you're right.

6. loveshismac macrumors member

Unfortunate but I true. I heard on nation public radio this morning 10/9/02 that the workers are going by federal laws that dictate how fast they will work. How many hours are allowed by truckers and so forth.
    Its pretty much crap.
    I say that if u choose a manual labor job, then beware that technology will take your job one day.

Go get an education.

let technolgy come and better all our lives

7. wwworry macrumors regular

I don't know much about the particular issues of that strike but I do know that my carpentry skills are a lot more in demand right now than my web developer skills and my master's degree has rarely been a deciding factor in either career.

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The reason that it will take two months is that they can only get so many days worth of work per day done, meaning that tomorrow there will be an 11.75 day backlog, the day after a 11.5, and so on and so forth. The numbers may be a bit off though. As for the idiot longshoremen who caused this in the first place, the average one gets paid $100k a year, and the clerks who go around with clipboards and check off things, get $120k per year, plus up to $47k in bonuses. Believe me, these people are not underpaid.

9. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

my apologies

Hey Multimedia,
    I found some articles, and I didn't get the full scope from what you were saying...
    They have restricted the amount of workers on the docks and the speed at which they can work...

But they also said that companies, in light of the situation, are temporarily switching to air frieght and such to make adjustments...

Hopefully it won't delay too many announcements, as I'm waiting to buy a new PowerBook right now... and i was hoping for the announcement in OCT....:rolleyes:

technocoy

10. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

amen wwwworry

Amen WWWWWORRY,
    my thoughts exactly....:D

11. loveshismac macrumors member

my point is that one day
    may be way in the future

anything that u do with your hands will be taken care of by machines.
    be it loading boxes or cutting wood. (god forbid everything)(wink)

the only thing left is what you do with your head.

the point of the strike is

workers are afraid that technology will take their job.
    and the truth of the matter is that it will.

it is the future.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: West Coast Dock Backlog Delays New PowerBooks, Quad Speed Superdrives, FireWire F1

Sure, and the fact that the union was demanding 6% raises in each of the next three years wasn't the least bit unreasonable, especially considering these positions require no education, and the workers make upwards of 100 grand.

Oh, and I'm sure they weren't intentionally slowing work down and I'm sure they were negotiating in perfectly good faith.

My guess is they were locked out by management to prevent further intentional damage by the workers, and/or for the same reason a union strikes, to make the other side negotiate.

13. TheFink macrumors member

I can tell you're about 12 years old. You sound like Walt Disney saying we'd all be living on the moon by 1985. Change does not happen that quickly. It hasn't in the past, and it won't in the future. Following your train of though, we will all be out of jobs. Robots will design, create, and maintain other robots. If you're a dock worker or a programmer, in the end, it doesn't mean jack ****. So I say to you, better start getting proficient in binary so when your computerised boss fires you, you'll know what the hell he's saying.

14. loveshismac macrumors member

wont even bother responding to the closed minded people.

the kind of people that hold back change

sorry

15. TheFink macrumors member

Yeah you know us IT people..... Always preaching, "How the Amish do things right".

16. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

And I wont even bother to argument against your words...

because you're the kind of people that wont even bother to show to their children how wonderfull nature is...

So please, take your changes, your robots, your mechanical vagina (since robots will do anything for you...) and go die far away...

Take care

Think different

17. rebscb macrumors member

dockworkers logout

Ok, you're Apple, and you've got a situation....

Successful corporations deal with a situation like this in two ways:

1. contingency plans based upon risk analysis - they should've anticipated something like this and have a backup plan, and

2. thinking outside of the box/solution brainstorming - they're Apple, they think different.

Possibilities.... for

1. redundant logistics plans (alternative shipping - Air - shippers who can re-rout to the east coast) and for,

2. beat your competition to the alternative suppliers by sweetening the pot. Furthermore, obvious costs to Apple from delayed sales and dwindling inventory, must be offset and not passed onto the consumer....

other theories.....?

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

it seems like they are.... 12 days behind now... and as work resumes, they will be 12 days behind for awhile, and then they will be 11 days behind original schedule... and then 10... until in 2 months they are back on schedule, right? if the powerbooks and LCDs are delayed till MWSF, it won't be because of THIS. it will be some other egregious incompetence. this can push things back a max of 2 weeks. sorry.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: sure does

I have to disagree. Every news source that's reported on this story has cited a two month delay (give or take). I really don't think that all the media covering this story would get it wrong. I'm not a dock worker so I can't explain the exponential growth, but I'd assume that part of it has to deal w/logistical issues. There are ships, and cargo piled up all over the place so instead of a sleek, assembly line type proccedure (if you will) there is a gnarled traffic jam in the docks that has to be organized.

Also, is it 2 months to get the docks back to normal, or two months for all the cargo to reach it's final destination?

Like I said, this is just a guess as to why it could take so long to get caught up.

20. Multimedia thread starter macrumors 603

Multimedia

Read All About It

West Coast Ports Reopen as Labor Row Simmers
    BY ANDREW QUINN
    Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO - U.S. West Coast ports were ready for business on Wednesday after President Bush forced an end to a crippling management lockout that cost the U.S. economy billions of dollars. . .

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/news/nation/4240385.htm

Ships Stuck at port as of 10.8.02 afternoon:

Puget Sound 47
    Columbia River 45
    Oakland/San Francisco 34
    LA/Long Beach 124
    San Diego 10

21. Multimedia thread starter macrumors 603

Multimedia

CBS Evening News Report

8-9 week clearing backlog. Workers will "Work safe" meaning "slowly" because they are pissed they didn't get what they want. Christmas presents not on shelves until at least Thanksgiving. No Merry Christmas at the Docks. Lockout will probably resume after the 80 day cooling off period mandated by the Taft-Hartley Act. Doesn't look good.

22. vixapphire macrumors 6502

Re: Don't shoot the messanger

Wondering if your "expert estimators" included the editorial remarks about labor v. management in their expert estimations, too?

23. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Give me a break. They are holding back change because they note that robots won't take over our lives anytime soon? I would lay off the Star Trek kiddo.

24. vixapphire macrumors 6502

Re: Re: West Coast Dock Backlog Delays New PowerBooks, Quad Speed Superdrives, FireWire F1

I'm actually a little disappointed in the President, who has tried so hard to model himself after Ronald Reagan, after all... Why not go all the way and fire the unionized dockworkers, like Reagan did with the air traffic controllers strike in the first 2 years of his presidency? This would solve the domestic problem of slowed/stopped work at the docks, while also sending an important message to the world's leaders (i.e. leaders of "rogue states") - just as Reagan's act sent a similar message to the world during the Cold War - that he (and we as a nation) has the resolve to follow through and do what it takes to ensure our security (economic or otherwise).

My guess is, if the union tries to slow-roll or blocks a rational settlement to the dispute after the cooling off period ends, President Bush will proceed to do something similar to Reagan. Without the election so close ahead, arguments against acting would be much weaker, considering the damage to the overall economy and the general public impression of the dockworkers as exceptionally highly paid unskilled, uneducated laborers.

But then again, who knows?

25. keltorsori macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: West Coast Dock Backlog Delays New PowerBooks, Quad Speed Superdrives, Fi

A history lesson, Reagan fired the ATC because he could (well, supposedly could), it was a federally controlled agency. The docks are not federally controlled. They are a private enterprise not under federal control, ok?

Invoking Taft-Hartley act is not a light matter.

Let me also ask you what your beef with highly paid, uneducated (i'll leave the unskilled alone, I'd like to see you survive one day as a longshoreman without something crushing you) work? What would you rather there be, no blue collar work at all? How do you think any sort of vertical social movement ever happens? This kind of labor allows these people to send their kids to college, where they can get an education, and hopefully end up behind a desk somewhere pushing papers for $100k a year instead of pusing 10 ton freight containters.

Do you think all work done by those without college degrees should be at minimum wage? Does it hurt your ego that someone without a college degree could be making more than you by doing physical labor? But, I'm guessing by your misunderstanding of the air traffic controller dispute that you probably aren't old enought to have a college degree yet.

Movement to a purely service economy, which is where many posting in this forum seem to think the future is, will only widen the gap between the rich and the poor. It will only cause the middle-class to contract, not expand. We're already working more hours for less pay, even in white collar work because of these kinds of attitudes. I'm certainly no luddite, but the utopian vision of a world where the phyiscal labor is all done by machines freeing the rest of us up to pursue higher minded goals is at best ridiculous. Until we can feed everyone, until everone gets basic medical care, until everyone can afford and have the opportunity to get a college education, this kind of work *has* to exist for the betterment of not only society, but our own economy.

For those of you who keep whining about longshoreman making $100k a year, get your facts straight. Most of the workers affected by this LOCKOUT (this was not, never was, a strike) are seasonal. This is the busy season for shipping, some of these guys will work for the next 4 months as longshoreman make less than $20k and then hope to find other employment for the rest of the year.

Ask your grandfather if he thinks unions are bad, just setup to get the uneducated over-paid jobs. Those of you with college educations probably have a recent ancestor who had one of those "over-paid" union jobs that allowed them to send their kids to college, and afford some sort of vertical social mobility. You eliminate all those jobs and then try to explain to me who's going to pay to educate and train the next generation?

You grow up priviledged and never take a second to look back and wonder how your family got there.