Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Ok, so I bought this 250GB Western Digital My Book Pro from Best Buy yesterday.

I plug it in and it works. I can see that the capacity is 232GB which is fine.

Now the issue:

Western Digitals support site at http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...SZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PTI5MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1 says that:

Macs, on the other hand, can only recognize FAT32 partitions that are smaller than 128-gigabytes when viewed in the operating system. So you should create two or more FAT32 partitions that are smaller than 128-gigabytes if your drive is larger than 128-gigabytges and you plan to use it on a Mac.

But I can see the complete 232GB partition????

Did I miss something in understanding? Should I repartition and reformat the drive using Disk Utility and break them the hard disk into 2 partition of 125GB each?

I wont be having a file more the 4GB so Fat32 works fine for me!

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Ok, so I bought this 250GB Western Digital My Book Pro from Best Buy yesterday.

I plug it in and it works. I can see that the capacity is 232GB which is fine.

Now the issue:

Western Digitals support site at http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...SZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PTI5MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1 says that:

But I can see the complete 232GB partition????

Did I miss something in understanding? Should I repartition and reformat the drive using Disk Utility and break them the hard disk into 2 partition of 125GB each?

I wont be having a file more the 4GB so Fat32 works fine for me!

If the OS reads 232Gb then there is no problem. I checked the site you referenced, it did not specify which Mac OS it was talking about. It may have been referencing OS 9 or an early OS X.

acidity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Thank you for the clarification. I guess they are talking about the old versions. I guess I can continue with the preformatted one and work with it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.