western digital annoyances

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by blue&whiteman, Mar 20, 2004.

1. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

after months of trying to understand what my issues have been caused I still can't figure it out. I can't seem to use my 120gb wd drive on a cable or ata bus by itself. best way it seems to work is set as a slave to my original and very slow maxtor 6gb drive. I have tried setting it to master, cable select with just it connected to the end. both single settings and still I have problems. all the problems are either the machine will freeze and won't boot back up to it (even after ttp4 volume structure and file structure tests pass)

I want an ata/133 pci card soon and really want to have this nice fast wd drive on that new bus alone. I have went to western digital for help and they have just kept telling me to use the single setting and I have been. could the old ata/33 bus be to blame? the cable? both? will the new ata bus fix this?

its very annoying when a nice fast modern hard drive needs to be slaved off an old crappy one to work right.

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

WD drives have a jumper setting for single drive only. It wasn't entirely clear if you've tried that setting yet. Also, are you using an 80 wire cable? The reason it may work only when its slaved it because the master (your 6gig drive) slows the entirely chain down thereby letting it work using a 40 wire cable.

3. blue&whiteman thread starter macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

do I have to count the wires on the cable to tell? the cable is a 2 drive one that came with my tower new. so the cable is from 99. hope that helps you understand.

4. Celeron macrumors 6502a

40 wire and 80 wire cables are easy to tell apart. 80 wire cables stay bent however you move them. You can crease them and stuff like that. Both 40 wire and 80 wire cables are the same physical size, only in 80 wire cables the wires are much smaller. Go here for a picture that shows the differences between the two:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

Its near the bottom of the page.

5. blue&whiteman thread starter macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I took at look at the photo then at my cable and its an 80 wire