Western Digital Mybook Questions/Problems

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, Mar 4, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have a 250GB Western Digital Mybook. I wanted to know if there is a way to have turn the lights on and off. Especially when it is shut down. I looked on the WD website and while on it they said that if you do not unmount the drive everytime you shut down you run the risk of damage. Is this true? Has anyone else had this problem? Also does anyone know how to turn the front lights on and off?

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i dont know because the lights are more of an indicactor of power going to the device-why is that you want to turn them off.

3. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I want them to go off when the computer is turned off.

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

ohh-i think i misunderstood what you said-I have one two and when I unmounted it the lights didnt go off-if you just unmount it you should be able to turn off the lights without any problems-

hope that helps

5. cre8design macrumors newbie

cre8design

I know exactly what you mean, I have a mybook 500. When the computer is shut down or when you unmount it, the light will glow for a second and keep coming on and off, right?

All you have to do is hold down on the center button for a few seconds and the light will do sort of a light flicker motion and it will turn the light and hard drive off.

I keep mine off and when I need it all i have to do is hit the button again to turn ot on, but it will not turn on automatically when you start the computer.