Western Union fraud?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jun 26, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    As I told you,as payment method wich I prefer cash money transfer through
    Western Union.But I see that you have doubts about this and I'll
    give you a better option.I propose you to send the money to a
    name chosen from you(maybe your father,friend),but to my address from
    Paris.In this case I won't be able to cash the money cause they
    are not in my name and I don't have the proper ID.
    You'll send me the name chosen for the receiver and the MTCN;with this
    info I'll be able to track the transfer and see if the money are
    available in Paris.If everything is in order,I'll send you the
    unit right away via UPS and you'll receive it in three days.
    After you'll receive the unit and inspect it,you'll call WU and
    change the transfer into my name so I can finally collect the money.
    Hope this we'll be acceptable for you and we'll close the deal.
    Let me know.
    This is a letter from a seller on ebay selling a poerbook well below its retail cost.sealed.Im hesitant.I have asked to pay papal but he says its better this way.is this a scam.im not nieve but i want a powerbook
  2. smurfsgonewild macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    Monroe, LA
    I"m not much of an ebayer but that made no sense the first time I read it, I had to read it again to get what the guy said. It's just me but I wouldn't do it unless it's paypal. I'm not a fan of paypal but it sounds safer than what this guy is talking about. If I were you, I'd just back out of this sale, I wouldn't take that chance for a powerbook.
  3. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    I had to read it a few times to.Im still reading it.Guess ill have to back down.He is selling a 17 inch powerbook 1.5 for the price of a stock ibook.guess im dreaming
  4. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if it sounds to good to be true it normally is

sure pay pal costs more; but theres an added security and peace of mind; the risk is still present but it isnt as high as using western union
  5. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    I would be extremely hesitant ie no chance in hell I would give any money to them. I don't think any of these deals are ever real; they are always overseas and always try to use unfamiliar methods of payment. If they aren't willing to accommodate you method of payment, then I would say walk away. You could offer to pay the PayPal fees, but they PayPal is not really that safe.
  6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Western Union = Fraud. Period. Verified PayPal Acct = Safer. End of story.
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Send your money to me, I'll promise to make you the "exact" same deal.

Basically I promise to tell you I'll send you the moon and deliver you dreams and fantasies.

And if I do deliver you a box it'll be filled with a brick and packing material.
  8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    don't do it, it's obviously a scam.

honestly, be wary of anyone that requests western union or any ass backwards way of doing anything. also, be wary of anything originating in paris, or any other french speaking place, the majority of these ebay scams are french speaking africans (that's not to say all, and vice versa)
  9. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    I suppose so.Thank for the replies.Um what kind of brick is it? :p
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    What he describes sounds like it should be secure, but it's NOT. I've heard of this before and it's a SCAM. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but basically, having the transfer in someone else's name will not prevent him from picking up the money as long as he has the transaction details. It is a guaranteed scam; you might as well burn the money.
  11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Custom painted PowerBrick to match the decor in your room -- I've got a box of Crayons, so it's your choice of colors.
  12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...QCassidy352 is right - this is another well-known scam that tries to sucker people in...stay away...oh yeah!
  13. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    Oh yeah, and report his ars. Sure, he'll just make another ebay account but at least he'll have to....

and it may save someone else from getting suckered
  14. gallagb macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2004
    yea- don't do it- i've gotten frauded this way before
    lost $900

totally sucked
    shoulda figured it out when i talked the guy down $500 from his asking price...

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Yeah, basically most WU offices don't require the number to release the money to the seller. Most of them in this country require it, but others don't. There is a reason he is "selling" it this cheap...not a good one!
  16. Fordan macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2004
    Sounds real fishy. If he doesn't want to do PayPal, push an escrow service, like http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/escrow.html. Be careful as there are fake escrow sites out there too; Google is your friend. Offer to pay the fees, since it sounds like you're getting quite the deal, and it makes it harder for the other party to say no.
  17. rogerson123 macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2004

i was stupid enough to believe one of these b*sta*rds!!!got scammed for £500. do you believe it?how stupid of me to think i could get a powerbook for this price.
    the user was dtaryf from freeads.net-never buy off this man.
  18. benj04 macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2004
    I have sold quite a few phones on eBay and each listing gets around 10 questions a day from people mainly in Singapore/Nigera asking to pay using Western Union. It is a total scam. Most of the time they don't even bother to edit their question. I once got a question asking to pay for a laptop with WU when I wasn't even selling one! Fools.
  19. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    SCAM, that is pretty much it.

I have never used ebay and have heard enough horror stories to stay away from it.

I buy from credible sources. :)
  20. benj04 macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2004
    Hey, eBay is great if you know what you are doing. There's plenty of warnings/guidance for newbies.
  21. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    Hey, there are the scammers that sell powerbooks and take your money. Then there are the scammers that buy your powerbook and don't give you any (p-p-p-powerbook). I wonder what would happen if a scammer bought a powerbook from another scammer, both intending to rip each other off? The scam would colapse on itself. That would be funny.
  22. dornball macrumors member

Apr 3, 2003
    Denver, CO.
    don't transfer money via western union, ever!

i also got suckered this way, 1.5 years back.
    i look back now and can't beleive i fell for it.
    but i did.
    it was an offer that was too good to be true, and it was just that....

learn from our mistakes, and above all trust your gut.

23. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    Paypal really isn't all that safe either.......or eBay. Google and you'll find plenty of people who thought they were protected and eBay and Paypal screwed them. They'll bounce you back and forth and say that the other is responsible (even though they Paypal is owned by eBay).
  24. Toreador93 macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2003
    I found a duo of ibooks a "frenchman" was selling for $500 each. He claimed they were both G4s, but I could plainly see that one was a G3 model in his pics. I sent an email telling him this, and asked for the specs of both machines. I also asked his method of payment. He totally ignored my G3/G4 question (and took down his pictures), and said he'd only take Western Union. I might still have his email address. Maybe I'll post it somewhere to get spammed :D

If someone was willing to buy something from you using Western Union, couldn't you just wait for payment before sending the package? I don't see how it would be a risk to you.