wet cell phone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jelloshotsrule, Feb 15, 2007.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hey all. i'm not too savvy when it comes to cell phones, so i figured i'd ask for help here.

first off: i have a moto e815 and verizon...

i dropped my cell phone (from about 2 feet up, just off my lap in the car) onto some slush. it got wet but i quickly wiped it off...

i noticed that when the phone was open and tried to go into the dim mode after 5 secs or whatever, the screen would get all funky, and i'd have to close it and reopen it. the "end call" button didn't work, which wasn't that huge a deal, but isn't ideal... i pulled the battery after about an hour and let it dry for a few mins, put it back in, and now it automatically brings up this "bootloader init usb" screen... i've since taken the battery out again and will let it try longer.

any ideas on whether my phone is going to be junk, how i can get out of the bootloader screen, etc... i don't have a data cable or anything that i know of, i just have used bt to sync with my contacts on my mac thus far...

any help/insight would be great. thanks

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

if its still wet on the inside maybe you can open it and put a blow dryer to it, it has worked for me a couple times...

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I would just turn it off and wait a couple days. One time I put my brother's digital camera through the washing machine. We waited a few days when it was dried and it still worked. A little foggy through the viewfinder but no one looks through the viewfinder for digital cameras.

4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ok, guess i'll have to make do without it for a bit. sad how that prospect seems like it will be tough. hah.

doesn't help that a potential employer is supposed to be calling me in the coming days.... hmm

is anyone familiar with the "bootloader usb init" screen? basically as soon as i put the battery back in, it instantly goes to that screen without me pressing any buttons, etc... any thoughts? thanks again

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i let it dry overnight and still no dice. will give it a few more days i suppose... any thoughts on bootloader would be helpful! thanks

6. Pac a Mac macrumors regular

Pac a Mac

My wife left her razr V3 in a plastic bag into which milk was spilt. It would not work at all. I wiped it down took the back off and battery out and left it somewhere warm. After a day my wife decided she needed a phone and bought a new one. Day 2 the V3 was working again... I got the V3 to replace my existing brick..cool:)

7. nitynate macrumors 6502a

The oven for an hour on "warm" works wonders for my wet phones.

Just be sure to take the battery out. ;)

8. zflauaus macrumors 65816

The "bootloader usb init" is basically saying your firmware has been hosed. The only way to fix it is to download a firmware file to your PC, get a USB cable to go from your phone to your PC, and upload the file. Unfortunately, Verizon didn't give cables for the E815 so the only way would be to buy a USB cable online. You might give it a go and take it to a Verizon corporate store sometime after you've given it plenty of time to dry out. Until then, your phone is SOL.

9. rschram macrumors newbie

reflashing

my phone did the same thing, only i had no water damage. i took it to alltel and they tried to flash it and they said it wouldn't flash because it wouldn't go past the bootloader screen. my phone is still under warranty (by 5 days) and the manufacturer is sending me a new phone. i have to send in my old phone when the new one arrives. they said they will take it apart and see if there is any moisture in the phone. if there is i either have to send back the new phone or $165.00. i have never had the phone in any water! the water detector tag is still white on the phone and battery, but i have a feeling they will say there is moisture anyway just to get the $165.00. we will see. does anyone know if i can hack into the phone to get my information off of it before i send it in? alltel says they can't get any info off of it.

rschram