Wet iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by youradhere4222, Feb 18, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

So... I had my iPod Touch in my backpack with a gatorade which I was sure I sealed up, but apparently I didn't.

So, a bit of Gatorade got on it, but it was only there for a couple of minutes.

At first, the screen turned black with white lines scratching across it, and now the Apple logo is frozen on it.........

Any suggestions?

2. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its probably gone, but let it dry out naturally for a couple of days and hope.

3. macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

The problem with Gatorade is that it isn't water and therefore won't evaporate without leaving residue, like the simple sugars in it. You might want to try giving it a nice "massage" to try and get the liquid out, but it may have dried up, so leave it next to a window where there is sunlight and let it all get out (if it hasn't been a while).

Check the infamous "headphone water indicator" and see if it changed color (look inside the headphone jack with a light and see if you see a color change from "black"). If it hasn't changed color, you could chance taking it to an apple store and having it replaced for free.

4. macrumors regular

You could try restoring it if somehow by coincedence there was a firmware malfunction when the gatorade spilled... but I doubt that would work.

Shep

5. macrumors member

A year ago I packed some Hot Sour Soup in my backpack next to my Palm TX. When I got to work I discovered the TX covered in a garlicky soupy slime. I let it dry out for a few days.

It booted up fine but the WIFI capabilities were lost forever. :confused::eek::confused:

Is Gatorade made in China? Hot Sour soup is.

6. macrumors 6502

a104375

lol i dont know if its made in china but.. i think if the headphone water indicator hasn't changed i would definitely take it to an apple store and have it checked out

7. macrumors member

ydb1914

you did not LOL :D...

my advice is do not place all your eggs in one basket :cool:

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so I'm to look down the headphone jack with a light, what exactly am I looking for, again?

9. macrumors 6502a

spork183

the ipod touch is all wet, and you recommend a nice massage?

10. macrumors 6502

If it's black then take it back,
    if it's red it might be dead.

There are people who have had a similar problem but have turned the red indicator back to black somehow. Its worth searching around, but I'm pretty sure they didn't use paint.

11. macrumors member

i've heard of this method for cell phones when dropped in water... maybe it could work.

get some alcohol, the kind thats close to upper double digit percentage... do a quick search. ppl use it for cleaning chipsets and other electrical devices. i forgot what its called tho.

I've heard you dip the cell phone (submerge) and when you pull it out, the alcohol will eliminate all water.

Actually, as i was typing this i realized why this wouldnt work. you cant disconnect the battery.........

hmmm....

12. macrumors 6502

quicklook2

not that hard to open up the touch case.

what do you have to lose?

do a google search on how to do it.

13. macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Yeah because you can press out the water by kinda massaging the back a little. Seriously I tried this with my old iPod and it worked to get some water in the inside out.

14. macrumors 6502a

spork183

do you still have that pod? Does it still work? Has it reciprocated? :D

15. macrumors 6502

davidy

What you have to lose is any service that Apple might have otherwise provided. They won't touch a tampered-with unit.

FWIW

I had a cell phone that spent two weeks in a snowbank and was completely soaked and dead when I found it. I put it in the oven at 100 degrees for a half hour and then in front of a fan for a day. After that, it worked again.

16. macrumors newbie

Hope you don't open it. I got my ipod wet, so I simply took it to the Apple store and they replaced it. No questions asked. I didn't even explain to them what happened. I just told him that it wouldn't charge. I'm assuming yours is still within warranty...

17. macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

A guy I work with forgot to take his 8gb nano out of his pants before washing them. The nano had a wonderful time at the water park, came out, dried off and worked. It did have water droplets inside the screen but the dissipated after a while.

18. macrumors regular

DO NOT try this. In this video of Andy Ihnatko, he tries several methods of reviving a soaked cell phone, and alcohol completely destroys it. And I wouldn't recommend putting it in the oven either, since the oven doesn't heat perfectly evenly and this could crack the screen or melt connections if your luck is bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCNiSFfm6w

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, it's fully dried, still working, etc.

One problem I'm having is that the battery isn't lasting as it should. I checked the indicator, and it's white. :D

I didn't buy the extra warranty, how long does it last? Will they replace it, no charge.

Also, I bought it from Best Buy. Do I take it back to Best Buy, or the Apple store?

20. macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

It puts out.

21. macrumors member

thats freakin VODKA.

I was referring to denatured or isopropyl alcohol for cleaning electronics.
    I said UPPER DOUBLE DIGITS PERCENTAGE ALCOHOL.

Vodka is not 90-100% alcohol.

I personally have never tried this, but all i'm saying is that it MIGHT work.

Here are a few websites that has this method, many websites claim this works:

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Laptop-from-Liquid-Damage

http://www.catalogs.com/info/electronics/how-to-save-a-wet-cell-phone.html

Alternative Drying Methods
    There is an alternative way to save a wet cell phone that includes an alcohol soak. Alcohol is hygroscopic which means that it attracts water. Soaking your phone in denatured alcohol, or a 95% alcohol solution (regular rubbing alcohol is about 75%), soaks up all the water in the phone. When the liquid is dumped out, only alcohol, which will evaporate, remains. Make sure that the alcohol you use is denatured with only methanol as the chemicals found in other types can be damaging. This kind of alcohol can be purchased at your local hardware store. The alcohol soak may work best for phones that have been damaged by salt water or other liquids such as coffee.

22. macrumors 6502

RollTide

Drying method I used was putting it in front of a fridge or deep freeze over night. the vent at the bottom blows out fairly warm air. Worked on all my cell phones.

Who knew.

23. macrumors newbie

Fimo

I managed to do this last night to my 2G Ipod Nano, forgot to take it out of my jacket pocket, it went through a 15 minute wash cycle( detergent and all) and a 5 minute rinse cycle, didn't look too good last night, would not turn on, let it dry over night and through the day today, just connected it to my powerbook and lo and behold its back up again, syncing to iTunes as we speak! woo hoo!

24. macrumors newbie

I had the exact same problem with my Ipod. After I got mine wet, the battery wouldn't charge unless it was connected to a computer. I took it to an apple store and they replaced it with a brand new one. If it's still within the year, you should take it to an apple store if you have one in your area.

25. macrumors newbie

Wet iPod Touch

Yesterday my iPod touch got wet.. i thought it was dead but after it dry i left it connected in the computer.. and suddenly it turn on.. some parts of the touch screen do not work.. sometimes i cant unlock it.. and i think i dont have wi fi anymore.. it still got the warranty.. my question is..can i take it to an apple store with the warranty even if i bought it in another store?:confused: im from mexico