WET11 for Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by livingfortoday, Feb 25, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hey everybody. I read that a lot of people managed to use the Linksys WET11 to wirelessly hook up their Macs instead of an airport card, so I figured it would be a good wireless alternative for my girlfriends Mac Mini. I decided to try it out with my Powerbook first, to see if I could get it to work and to make sure there were no hiccups. And yeah, there's been hiccups. Specifically - it won't work. let me go step by step what I've done, so you can see what I've done wrong.

First I took my airport card out of my Powerbook, and hooked up the WET11 with an ethernet cable to it. Set the back of it to "X", and checked to see if I could just get online like that. No.

Then I tried to get into the WET11 using the IP address I'm *pretty sure* it has, which was http://192.168.1.225/ It won't recognize it. I then went to my network settings and created a new location. I went to Built-In Ethernet, and set it to manual. Se the IP address there to 192.168.1.1, and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 I then tried to access the WET11 with the same IP address as before, and still nothing.

The only manual I have is for Windows, as is all the install software. How do I get this to work with first my Powerbook, and then her Mac Mini? Any tips, suggestions, or critiques of what I'm doing would be really appreciated, thanks!

2. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh, I should also add that the Powerbook is running Panther (10.3.9), while the Mini is running Tiger (10.4.3). Just in case that matters.

3. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Have you tried setting it up on a pc first, with the correct IP address etc, and then transferring it to the Mac?

4. Gee macrumors 65816

[Why are you only 'pretty sure' it has that IP address. I would haved thought it would appear in the manual somewhere? Also, does the WET11 allow http access to change settings? Some do, some don't.

Assuming it does, you should be able to then just connect to it by plugging in an ethernet cable and typing the IP address in your browser. (As an asside, you don't need to take your airport card out, just turn it off, in order for this to work). Maybe you can give it a go on the Mini - Tiger comes with a netowrk diagnostics utility that I think Panther didn't have, so this might give you some clues.

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok, I read through the manual more carefully, and yeah, that is the IP address needed. I was confused because as i found it didn't work with that IP address, I checked online, and some sites were saying different things. I'm pretty sure they were using different ethernet bridges, though. Anyways, so yeah, it's right, long story short. So at least I'm doing that right. And no, I don't have a PC with which to set this up.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The WET11 should work with ANY Ethernet-capable device... since the bridge itself handles the Internet connection, it shouldn't matter that you're using a Mac mini. I recently connected a G4 Cube to my home network using a WET11.

It is possible that the IP address for the WET11 has been CHANGED; it's not necessarily 192.168.1.225. You might want to reset the WET11 using the reset switch... this will reset to the default IP value of 192.168.1.225. Then, connect it to your Mac mini, make sure they're both powered up, and try hitting 192.168.1.225 with Safari or your browser. Don't forget the default user name and password are BOTH "admin".

7. ethen macrumors regular

my experience with it was not as pleasant as i hope it could be, if your router have upnp on (i'm using srx400) it reset itself from time to time