Whale Attacks Boat!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mactastic, Aug 20, 2003.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Looks like the whales have gotten sick of the way we treat them and are getting some revenge! These people are lucky to have gotten away without injury.

Story

2. jadariv macrumors regular

Poor whale probably didn't even know the boat was there. And now its injured and just floating there in the water. Man thats sad.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They managed to get a pic of the whale, and that seems to be red tinged in the spray - I wonder why they haven't mentioned anything else about the whale.

But that's really weird - it would have totally freaked me out if I was on the ship. Although I'd probably start calling the captian Ahab and the whale Moby.....

D :D

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

don't want to sound "righteous" or anything, but the proper headline probably should have been "a boat happens to be in the way of a whale, gets wrecked" or something along the line.

whales don't "attack." it was doing its thing and the boat happened to be in its way... bad luck, for both now injured whale and the vacationer...

pretty amazing story, nonetheless...

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

actually it looked like the whale was trying to use the boat as a barnacle scraping device :D

Sad that it had to hurt itself....and I tried to find more info on the story, but a quick google search didn't pull up anything....

D

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I was just having fun with the title. It was just a hook to get people to look. I feel bad for the whale too. I didn't mean to actually imply the whale did it deliberatly.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Funny thing is, searching for the more to the story on google I found a couple links about the sighting of a white whale in Australia! :D

Moby Dick it is!

D

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can certainly see why they would be in fear. It's unusal for a whale to come near a boat. Just happy to hear that the family and whale ar OK!

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i know, i didn't really mean much in my response...

caught my attention, though, so well done. :D

i'm glad that the people on the boat are safe...

10. jap4n macrumors member

i think the whale was one of those 'extremists' suicide boat squashing types...
    :\

11. zim macrumors 65816

zim

statistically, what would be the chances?

So I was thinking about the last whale watch outing that I went on, we were out there for what seemed like hours and saw only a glimpse of a whales back, nothing more.

I only hope that the whale is okay.... oh and good to hear that the people are okay too, oh well for the boat, wonder if they had collision insurance.

Next week on Discover channel: When whales attack

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

yeah, sent out by those darn Anti-Western Arabs, they were, them there whales. Dangnabit! When are we gonna have our cotton-pickin' war on the Sea! Osama, Saddam, next up: Poseidon! :D

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Why are some saying it was the sailor's fault? The whale has eyes and it is in it's natural habitat . It should be able to stear clear of a boat.