Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
Gonzo now past the Thames barrier and into the estuary(on a barge),they are talking of taking him down to the south coast and warmer and deeper water.

Sky TV "Whales are still being hunted by Japan in Norway in their thousands. :rolleyes:

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
We've had a few whales and dolphins strand themselves on our beach over the years.
My most memorable encounter occurred on a very dark night when I was walking the dog. I fell over it and didn't immediately know what I had landed on. Needless to say, I freaked out. Didn't bother the dog though. He thought it was a new treat left for him.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
takao said:
what are doing now with it ? sending it to japan for scientific meals ?

Up to the Queen, I guess (all swans and whales in/on British territory belong to the Queen for some obscure historical reason). Currently the Police are guarding the body.

More Royal trivia.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
mdavey said:
Up to the Queen, I guess (all swans and whales in/on British territory belong to the Queen for some obscure historical reason). Currently the Police are guarding the body.

More Royal trivia.
Wow, I'm glad our oldest laws/etc. only go back to the 17th century (or in some cases the 16th). Heck, the Constitution is only 219 years old.

Anyways, just learn from Florence, Oregon, and do NOT use dynamite!

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
This country never ceases to amaze me..... While all these charity workers were busy racing against time to save the whale, traffic police in London saw the "Marine Resuce" vehicles had been parked longer than there ticket said and slapped them with £300 parking fines! :eek:

Ok, a little bit of understanding would have been nice here. Imagine how it would have looked if halfway getting the whale out of the water they all did a runner to go and get an updated parking ticket!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4638790.stm

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
AndyR said:
This country never ceases to amaze me..... While all these charity workers were busy racing against time to save the whale, traffic police in London saw the "Marine Resuce" vehicles had been parked longer than there ticket said and slapped them with £300 parking fines! :eek:…
I've got no problem with that, everyone did their job and the system worked.
The rescue crew tried to save the whale, parking control issued valid ticket and the council, upon a valid appeal, waived the penalties.

I for one don't want traffic wardens given any more leeway to use their initiative; most of them that I meet simply aren't up to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.