WHALEBOY!! our cool new creation... check it out!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by technocoy, Feb 8, 2006.

1. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

Hi All,

Taking a break from all things mac and wanting to share some outside work I'm involved in...

I'm very proud to present the first prototype of an upcoming vinyl piece from the VERY talented and great artist, animator and friend, Patrick Morgan.

WHALEBOY!

[​IMG]

Patrick is a friend we made while out at SDCC and we immediately fell in love with his characters. Whaleboy was just screaming to be put into vinyl, and so we set about it as soon as we were all home. Sculpted by the amazing Brannon Wright (http://www.brannonwright.com), painted by Darren Henke, and photographed by Frank Guthrie.

Whaleboy will have a changeable face and detachable Sucka (his pal). We hope you love him as much as we do.

You can see the prototype in person at Wondercon this weekend.

Stay tuned for some more info regarding production and limited edition pieces.

Let us know what you think, as all your input is appreciated!

Our website is still under construction, but you can contact us at info@crankystudios.com for more information.

In the meantime check out more of Patrick's artwork at patrickmorganart.blogspot.com

David (aka technocoy)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That is very cool. How big are you planning on making it? I couldn't find any reference to it on the link you posted but was wondering how easy it would be to put an iPod in his hat and have him play me tunes. :cool:

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

that is really cute. what an endearing character. well done. :)

4. technocoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

technocoy

Ha!

thanks for the kudos, peeps! Yeah, we will be launching a whaleboy specific site soon, it's very early in the process right now, but i'll keep you all posted.

Mad, the idea of iPod toys has crossed my mind, i just haven't thought of one that sticks with me yet... so many of them seem forced. He is around 6 inches tall though... I could do you a custom one that could hold an iPod nano!!! ha ha.

Thanks again for the comments and I'll keep you all posted on further developments.

technocoy

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

That is so cute. I would actually buy one for myself and my niece, don't know if she would really like it but it's the thought that counts. Right? :p :D

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

7. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Making cartoons only weeks after the poor Thames whale died? Right that does it, where is ur embassy??:mad:

8. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i nearly fell of my chair when i read that. spot on! :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry I just don't get it. What is a vinyl character, what does it do, and why would I buy it?

EDIT TO ADD: I didn't mean to sound like a complete *******. I just wanted to know why I would buy this statue "thing" when he's not even a famous character I recognise.