Whalers Coming Back to Hartford?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thedude110, Jan 5, 2006.

1. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

The Whalers are coming back to Hartford? :eek:

Could it be?

Someone fire up Brass Bonanza! :cool:

Link.

Other hearsay has the Caps becoming the new Whalers ...

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, it ain't gonna be the Carolina Hurricanes going back to Hartford. We like them too much. :)

3. zach macrumors 65816

zach

oh my goodness.

as a diehard sports fan living in connecticut...

i'm happy ^_^

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

What ever happened to the nordique or winnipeg jets? I am asking cuz I just found my old hockey card and I have a lot from those teams.

5. thedude110 thread starter macrumors 68020

thedude110

The hapless Nordique became the championship Avs.

The hapless Jets became the hapless Coyotes.

6. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I loved the goalkeeper from the coyotes, the russian on. No offense but that is one thing I like about soccer and sports in europe, teams dont move cities

EDIT: the goalie was called Khavibullin I think

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought "people who hunt whales".

Yes, whale hunting still happens, even today.

Shows how out of touch I am with sports in general.

8. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Nikolai Khabibulin. Plays for the Blackhawks now. He's alright, a solid starter. Although back when it was Winnipeg's last year he stood on his head and they almost knocked off the Wings in the first round.

If a team is moving with the current CBA, a team should be located in Canada, where fans will actually appreciate it.

9. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

If khabibulin plays in the blackhawks now, then what happened to the old one(im thinkin 3-4 years ago) oh and who was the goalie for the panthers(3-4 years ago)? BTW sorry for all the questions.

10. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Well Luongo's been the Panther's starter for a while, are you thinking John Vanbiesbrouck perhaps? The Blackhawk's old tender was Jocelyn Tibault, who now plays for Pittsburgh, but he used to play for the Canadiens before that.

11. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Yup im talkin vanbiesbrouck and no not tibault the guy before him and didnt tibault play for philly or pitsburg before the canadiens

12. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I could easily see the Penguins moving to Hartford. Their lease is up at the Igloo, and there has been a lot of talk about them moving (possibly to Kansas City). It is almost impossible for them to make any profit, since their arena is so small.

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

He was drafted by the Nordiques, and moved with them to the Colorado, and went to Montreal in the Roy trade.

14. thedude110 thread starter macrumors 68020

thedude110

My head says you're right, but my heart (which, incidentally, was broken when the Whalers left) doesn't care about anything but bringing the Whale back to the mall (or some approximation thereof).

Hartford fans got a bad rap in the move -- the Whalers rarely sold out, but Peter Karmanos also never intended to keep the team in Hartford (hard to build attendance when the team is a lame duck!).

15. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

It would be tough to have 2 teams in Hartford let alone 1, there already is the Wolfpack which is in the AHL. The last step before the NHL. Now unless the wolfpack move to Worcester or elsewhere to accomodate an NHL team in Hartford I don't see it happeneing. Although there has been a lot of talk about a team going back to Worcester, so who knows.

As much as I like hockey Im just waiting for baseball season to start back up.

16. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I haven't followed hockey much in recent years, but I remember being 8 years old crying at the end of their last game in Hartford. I even had a teddy bear in a Whaler's uniform. My grandma even sewed Teddy and a 1 on the back.

I didn't realize there were so many people from Connecticut.. but I'm sure a lot will be posting in this thread :p

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I'm trying to think of that quote from Mallrats, but I'm pulling a blank.

Ah! Found it:

[Brodie picks up a controller and continues a paused video game.]
    Renee: What are you doing? You promised me breakfast.
    Brodie: Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Renee, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

18. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

As much as I like hockey, there is no reason for an NHL team in Hartford.
    The people regard the Hartford Wolfpack lukewarmly so that should be a sign right there.
    Central Connecticut is basketball country. Then football.
    I've always had little faith in sporting venues in bringing economic stimulus to any metropolitan area. The whole concept seems like a lame duck to me.
    I'd say start some world-class art academy or film institute or something so we can get a creative class of people in the area. Then you'll have something to really see and experience which is always there; not just a couple months of the year.
    How about a film festival?
    Alas, we have suits, committees, and meatheads in charge so I don't foresee it happening anytime soon.

19. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

Agreed about Hartford. There are too many teams in the NHL as it is. However, the model you meniton above worked wonders in downtown San Jose 10 years ago. Before the Shark Tank was built, much of that area was run down and abandoned. Now, there are numerous restaurants, a beautiful new park, businesses, and a plethora of new high-density housing in the area. While not guaranteed everywhere, adding a sports arena to downtown San Jose worked magic.

Of course, even though I'm a long-time season ticket holder there is NO way hockey should be played in California with palm trees in front of the Arena. It's just unnatural. :D

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Are you thinking Eddie The Eagle? MY favorite goalie of all time..

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If the NHL were to come back to Hartford the Civic Center would need to go as it is too small and out of date for a modern sports team. One big problem with Hartford is that Boston and New York suck the fan base out so teams don't have a chance to survive. I would love to see a Baseball team in Hartford rather then Hockey myself, Say the Devil Rays so Sox and Yankees fans have something to beat on when they come into town.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I always thought that the Hurricanes were a failure down south.

23. thedude110 thread starter macrumors 68020

thedude110

I understand where you're coming from -- a revitalized arts scene would be a big deal. Did you know that Hartford was pretty much the center of Modern Art in America in the early to mid thirties? Wallace Stevens was in the audience when Gertrude Stein premiered Four Saints in Three Acts at The Wadsworth. A great book on Hartford's time in the cubist sun is Eugene Gaddis' Magician of the Modern. Then those punks in NY built Moma.

Oh. But, I still want the Whalers back.

You better look out, ClayJ -- I hear the 'Canes aren't drawing so well! :D

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, actually, they've consistently drawn better than the Whalers.

link

However, I certainly don't care if they move back. If you want 'em, you can have 'em.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

A lot of that is cause they have a bigger arena then the Whalers had plus a lot of band wagoners watched after they got to the Stanley Cup finals, but are they getting the numbers they were expecting after the move south.

compare the best years the numbers aren't that much different
    Hartford Whalers ---1987-88--582,969--14,574
    Carolina Hurricanes 2002-03 --642,973--15,682