Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Sooo the new phones...

Obviously I bought Z5 Compact a week ago so now Xperia X Performance (a tribute to Gina X Performance? I hope!) is coming out. But when I say now, I mean summer. Which means I think Sony are truly determined to lower their sales – I mean why buy a Z5 when X is coming in the summer. This should have been announced at most three weeks before premiere, like Samsungs. The camera with autofocus on a moving object (!!!) looks incredible. The 820 sounds good. But I needed a phone now and summer is months away, so I will pretend I am not upset. There's always something new around the corner anyway.

Samsungs... look like Samsungs. They're waterproof and with SD slot again. And they are SHINY. SHINY SHINY SHINY HAPPY SAMSUNGS. Personally I hope it's a case of too little, too late. I think Samsung has jumped the shark by now. The real competition for Apple within a few years is going to be Huawei and Xiaomi and possibly brands we haven't heard about yet. For now the S7 sounds good, with all features I needed back, but I still remember the S3. Putting a piece of paper in the SD slot so the card wouldn't constantly disconnect. Phone spontaneously bricking itself. "The fabulous battery" lasting me half a day AFTER I switched half of the "amazing features" off. Sorry Samsung, you can't have me yet. And glowing S7 reviews won't help because I know you pay for them.

LG G5 is... different. "We want to kill the selfie stick" they said and I am all for THAT. You can TAKE PARTS OUT. And put in different parts. WTF is that. Half of me loves it and half of me doesn't get it. It's got its own iHump! It's got a 32-bit HiFi module! (Where will they get 32-bit content?)

Everything is, of course, running Marshmallow while my VERY OLD (four months) Xperia Z5 Compact is stuck with laggy version of Lollipop. Really Sony. Your current flagship is essentially running broken software since it was premiered, and now you announce there's a new better one coming in months. This is totally going to send Z5 sales through the roof. Well done. (Who even is responsible for their strategy? Tim Cook suggested it to them while cackling maniacally?)

Bring on the iPhone 7 now. I think that the Android vendors don't really know what else to add – the LG modules sound like a gimmick and remind me of a ZX 81 with a 16 KB RAM pack at the back. It's up to Apple, again, to reinvent the black (and gold, and ROSE GOLD) slate and bring something truly new to the table, and removing the headphone jack is not going to be that thing for me.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Really looking forward to the prospects of HTC made Nexus devices. I think the hardware and software (Android N looks really promising) is finally lining up just right for me to really want a Nexus device this year.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Bleh, not really looking forward to HTC making the nexus. The 10 is bland, uninspired, has large bezels and is way too chunky. Yes I'm mainly talking about aesthetics, as otherwise it's a great phone, just not one that inspires me to upgrade from what I currently have. I think we need to get away from specs which no one really cares about and don't affect day to day use, and concentrate on things which do affect use such as phone size.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Bleh, not really looking forward to HTC making the nexus. The 10 is bland, uninspired, has large bezels and is way too chunky. Yes I'm mainly talking about aesthetics, as otherwise it's a great phone, just not one that inspires me to upgrade from what I currently have. I think we need to get away from specs which no one really cares about and don't affect day to day use, and concentrate on things which do affect use such as phone size.

Welcome to Nexus! Looking at the history, its easy to see aesthetics have never been the goal. If you want aesthetics, fork out the money for a Samsung.

Reactions: spinedoc77

mountain

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I never really considered Samsung to be aesthetic except for the new S7 and Note. I never liked their plastic body.
Looking forward to the next Nexus and hope they will come out with 5" and something a little bigger.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
I never really considered Samsung to be aesthetic except for the new S7 and Note. I never liked their plastic body.

Well that is how they made phones for a while (including all the Nexus outside of the 6P).

nexus-retrospectived.jpg

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Note 6 and iPhone 7 for me after getting the S7E less than a week ago.

Will take a peek at the Note 6 and see what it offers in comparison to the S7E and then of course my annual trip back to iOS to see what is new in the Apple world...if anything.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Whats next after the HTC10 release? I am on the S7E and love it but curious of whats remaining besides iPhone the rest of the year.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Whats next after the HTC10 release? I am on the S7E and love it but curious of whats remaining besides iPhone the rest of the year.

A new Moto X whatever I guess, all that I know of off the top but don't have any news about it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
These 2 for me for sure. I only have 3 JOD in 18 months or so the girl at TMobile said. I will have to use them wisely.
I have jumped probably 7 times this year alone on one line. I don't think they stick to that number. But I also go to different TMO stores too just to be safe :)

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I have jumped probably 7 times this year alone on one line. I don't think they stick to that number. But I also go to different TMO stores too just to be safe :)

If the HTC Nexus comes to fruition and it's everything I hope it'll be, I plan to let go of JOD. I'll jump to the new iPhone to give it a shot, then return it within the 14 day window and just fork over the $50 restocking fee (versus having to pay out the rest of the S7E). I know a very nice TMobile rep that I'm buddy buddy with who could help me out.

Just a matter of that HTC Nexus hitting the right marks....

Reactions: jamezr

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008

The lady at the store said 3 times in 18 months but they don't really enforce and if you do it online its even easier.I hope that is true. :)

Reactions: jamezr

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Looking forward to: OP3, HTC Nexus, Note 6 (or 7).

Having had the S7 and now the G5, it's hard to buy a flagship that has a fundamental issue. Hardware is very good across the board so after-sales support could be the next battlefield.

I'll probably try the M10 when it drops a bit. And the Mi5 if I see it for a reasonable price.

Casfin

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
Note 7 (or whatever they call it).

Looks like a winner, especially based on the s7/edge

Always been an iphone user but I'm done with Apple. It has it's positives, but now the cons far outweigh them (lousy design, ridiculous bezels, no expandable storage, no wireless charging, no waterproof, just to name a few).

Reactions: Geert76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.