What a crappy Apple policy....

Discussion in 'Community' started by runplaysleeprun, Apr 28, 2005.

1. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

So my plan was to go the Apple store event tomorrow night for the release of Tiger, and pick up my copy then. But, it seems that at the retail apple stores, you cannot obtain education prices on software, even Apple software. You can, however, buy it online from the apple store at the edu price. so, why the difference? The retail stores sell the hardware at EDU prices, why not the software, or, at the least, the Apple software?

I dunno, just a bit upset having learned I'm just going to have to wait that much longer to get my copy at edu price. sorry for the bit of a rant.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont comepletly understand this policy either, but its not like they keep it hidden, i have always known this and they are public about this policy, and i am sure there there is a reason to this although i dont know what it is right now

sorry!

3. lordmac macrumors regular

hmm do you know if they will still do corporate discounts on apple software right at the store like with the hardware. In my case I get a discount that is about that same as the edu one through work, although I do not work for apple in any way it is just they have discounts at a number of stores as an employees benefit including apple.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Yep, and it seems ordering Tiger with the EDU discount THE DAY IT WAS ANNOUNCED puts you at the back of the line as evidenced by many members here.

Mine is still "preparing."

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

now that sucks and is unfair of apple to do it that way, all orders should be processes first come first served imo

6. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

The priority of orders through apple.com often seems skewed. I ordered Tiger with the edu discount only a week ago and mine should be here tomorrow according to FedEx. I do remember waiting for my iMac, though, and having others who had ordered after me get theirs first. That could have been related to configurations, etc, but that shouldn't be an issue with software.

As for the retail stores, it seems it would be easier to verify student status in person instead of either just trusting people online or having to follow up to verify. Just my thoughts.

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Especially when you can go to the online store, *right now*, add a copy to your cart and it says "Ships Today."

???

Oh well, it's only 3:16pm in Cupertino right now -- Day's not over yet :) And there is at least one person who mentioned in another thread that he received his copy (with edu discount).