What a good idea!

Discussion in 'Community' started by AppleMatt, Aug 19, 2003.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I saw this today;

http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/19/technology/good_worm.reut/

What a good idea. Microsoft have so many security holes, and as the recent Blaster worm proved, many users are vulnerable simply because they don't know about the issue. Aside from the congestion and restarting problems...

Anyway read the link, agree, flame, whatever.

AppleMatt (would like a prize for the most vague post ever)

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's hilarious--Microsoft is so out of it when it deals with their own security that some random person writes a "good" worm to fix Microsoft's shortcomings...now all we need is a worm that formats their HD and installs something worthwhile like Linux or maybe iTunes when it comes out when it detects Buymusic running on the PC...

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, i had to wonder if this was Bill's doing... they couldn't tell if it was, because people would probably be outraged (and this worm is considered a moderate to serious threat, because of the access it takes), but if they did this on purpose... it's one of the most brilliant moves i've seen in a long time... bravo MS. of course, it doesn't make up for having software that's horrifically insecure to begin with...

pnw

4. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Now this is an intersting idea.

Have your IT department write 'limited distribution' viruses to do system updates. Would these be called 'Antibodies'?

5. mim macrumors 6502

Slashdot had a whole big discussion about this. I don;t have the link (our it guy blocks slashdot :rolleyes: ), but the discussion was quite good.

I personally don't think it's a good idea. If windows XP just came with the internal firewall ON, many of these things wouldn't be a problem. The last thing I want is somebody messing with my systems, no matter how harmless they think their "solution" is.

Despite that, in the long run I think this will become more common. Kind of like the bacteria in our intestines - a symbiotic relationship.

It's kind of like Curious Yellow - check it out here

<Edit: Actually, you know, I just re-read the paper above, and it describes almost what is happening now (two worms coordinating attacks). While I don't think they were released by the same person (the timing is wrong - the second worm should have been released before, or atleast at the same time...why waste resourse infecting an already infected machine) I'd be suprised if we don't see a coordinated worm attack very soon.>

<edit: sorry - just clarify the theory above...worm 2 patches the entry point, so it seems that there is no further attacks from worm 1 (not as sophisticated a method of avoiding detection as described in the article, but a strategy that could work) and the admins get complacent again. Worm 2 would then be the real vector of attack (and again, it appears to be harmless in this case, but it needn't have been). Ok, don't mind me now, I'm going way off on a tangent...)

6. panphage macrumors 6502

It's easy to blame microsoft and maybe fun as well, but the real weak link in any security plan is users. MS publicized and issued a patch for this exploit over a month ago. Users don't maintain security patches, Sysadmins don't MAKE users maintain security patches, there is no security. *nix programs have frequent security patches as well, but *nix ain't as popular to attack, doesn't get the same kind of publicity. Yes, it IS also easier to secure, but in this case, as in many cases, careless end users are to blame. How many people do you know that open email attachments from people they don't know? Lots. How many have left their VBscript turned on? Lots. I hate MS as much as the next guy, but let's point fingers at the real slackers here.

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Microsoft isn't completely innocent, either. Instead of BSing everyone about having this incredibly secure OS, they should actually tell people the risks, how to avoid them, and take steps to test their code out before sending out millions of copies billed as the most secure OS only to have virus after virus completely rip PCs to shreds. Granted, you'd think people would wisen up about not opening attachments and such, but Microsoft also has a long way to go, too.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's nice to know that there is a good worm, "nachia." Because we also have good and benefical bacteria. You would think that Bill Gates would make it a top priority to fix the security leaks!

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'm just glad that Microsoft doesn't charge for updates...with 60 updates it could break the bank account to keep your PC secure.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Microsoft would not need to issue the 60 updates it that did the job properly. Apple also issues updates online at no charge!