What a letdown

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by coolbreeze, Feb 4, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

New product rumors were WAY off...oh well. Happy with my 15" Superdrive iMac for $1100 (bought on this board)...haha, can't get that now.

5GB iPod still here. Still $299?? C'mon Apple? What direction are you going in?

iMac for $2348? Wow. Thanks but no thanks.

Disappointed....
    Coolbreeze

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

3. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Arn, maybe I exaggerated a little...guess I was talking about this rumor: And most of the board rumors swirling...FW800, 17" models galore, etc...

AppleInsider updates after a long break, and under new management and claims to have detailed specs on new iMacs.

According to their report, the low end with feature a 15" LCD at 867MHz at $999, with the rest of the line sporting 17" LCD's ranging from $1199 - $1699 and toping out at 1GHz.

15" LCD, 867MHz, CD-RW, $999
    17" LCD, 867MHz, Combo Drive, $1199
    17" LCD, 867MHz, SuperDrive, $1499
    17" LCD, 1GHz, SuperDrive, $1699

4. Chuck macrumors regular

Okay... Time to update the ibook I think

What are the chances of an imminant ibook update? Apple seems to be on quite a roll at the moment. I'd love to see un updated ibook in the next couple of weeks. What do you think? :)

Chuck.
    http://www.madebydesign.net

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yeah... you should have read the bit at the very end of that article. :)

arn

6. Adurbe macrumors member

apple cant really update the iBook at the moment simply because it would compete with the powerbooks....

"a 1gig G3... why would you pay more for a 867 gig G4?!"

this is how people see ghz it would be too difficult for apple to explain to switching customers

7. Chuck macrumors regular

Not quite that simple IMHO

Adurbe, If processing speed is the only thing people are interested in, why did they just release a 1GHz iMac when the entry level PM is 1GHz now?

Chuck
    http://www.madebydesign.net

8. Adurbe macrumors member

I think you missed my point....

how many times have you had to explain to a wintel user 1 gig on a mac is not the same as 1 gig on a pc?

apple are trying to sell to these users, they dont want their high end machines appering slower on ghz do they?

also they PM have faster bus speeds and other features that, lets face it, newbie users dont appreciate.... The iMac is aimed at the public, the PM at those that actually use a mac to its full

9. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

i would have to say this is a big let down as well. Apple is really screwing up.

Apple introduces fw800 and airport extreme. Both are cheaper and faster than fw400 and airport. The tough part with these is that they need manufacturers to support these. making fw800 backwards compatible and cheaper helps. Same with 802.11g.

But while Apple is trying to convince everybody to adopt these new better cheaper standards they release new computers that do not support the new technology but instead support the more expensive older slower technology. the powerbook 12" doesn't offer fw800. The new imacs do not support fw800. the low end imac doesn't support airport extreme. What the hell is wrong with Apple? The best way to get manufacturers to support the new standards is to but an imac out there that uses the new standards. It is completely illogical.

There are certain things out of apple's hands. processor speeds. but the tech they do control (airport extreme fw800) they aren't using. The are purposely crippling new computers by using old expensive tech while at the same time hurting the adoption of the new cheaper faster standards.