What a nightmare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ouphe, Aug 20, 2005.

1. ouphe macrumors regular

I thought I'd post this story and get some advice on what to do.
    So I ordered a Dual 2.0 G5 PM, refurbished from Apple on the 8th. The estimated date of delivery was the 20th. They ended up trying to deliver it on the 19th, but no one was there to pick it up (it was sent to my family's home, as I was in the process of moving...they live about 3 hours away), they were here visiting me. They got home that day, though, and went to the FedEx depot and tried to pick it up. The depot people informed them that it was never taken off the truck, so they couldn't pick it up...but it would be delivered sometime between 8 am and 5 pm tomorrow (the 20th..today). My father didn't leave the house all day long, watching the one winding street that leads up to our house, and the truck never came. I checked the FedEx website to find out what the status was at 8:30 pm, and it said they tried to deliver it at 6:12 pm, but no one was there. Now, if they DID try to deliver it, they left no tag, didn't knock o the door or ring the doorbell, and certainly didn't drive...maybe they snuck through the backyard and tapped on the back window?
    In any case, I called the FedEx 800 number and the person who I talked to said that they couldn't do anything for me until Tuesday, as that depot is closed until then. I purchased this computer ahead of time because I need it for work and school. School starts Monday. A project I needed this computer for at work starts Monday. I can't leave town for 6 hours (to drive there and back) anytime before next weekend (and maybe not then, depending on my work hours).
    I asked the FedEx person if I could get it shipped here instead, and they said I would have to talk to the Apple people to get that changed. It was my understanding, though, that after a package is shipped, they generally won't touch it.
    Anyone have any advice? This has been a long, rambly story, but I really just don't know what to do and I'm so frustrated...I don't want all the anticipation to end badly, and that's how it seems it's going to be, right now.
    Thanks for your time, and hopefully, your advice!

-Colin

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about you predicament ouphe. :(
    I don't really no what to say to help you fix your dilemma. But I am wishing you the best possible outcome. Sorry that I can not be of assistance. :eek:

3. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

My line of reasoning....

My line of reasoning tells me that you ordered it to be delivered to your parents home. Apple did their job. They delivered it to the address you requested earlier than anticipated. Apple did thier job.

The delivery service did their job. Unfortunately, no one was home. You are in contact with them, and they want to deliver it to as quickly as possible. Things should work out with them delivering to your original address.

Once your parents receive the shipment, you should pay extra to send it to yourself at school. Sorry.

4. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

dmw: thanks for the kind words :)
    coca-cola: I understand what you're saying, but where I am saying they screwed up is when they 'delivered' it today...from what I can tell, they didn't. I don't know if it's a matter of the delivery guy running behind and taking a chance by marking it down delivered...he did say they he tried to deliver it an hour after the 5 pm deadline they had quoted...or if they are going to the incorrect address or what. I checked to make sure they had the correct address...but they definitely didn't show up at the correct address today. THAT'S what I have the problem with. Thanks for the response, in any case. I'm furious right now, so it's good to get input from outside sources.
    Anyone else?

-Colin

5. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Wow what a big headache. :eek:

It sounds like someone on team fedex is a little lazy and just caused you a big headache. I hope everything works out for you.

6. BlueT macrumors member

This has happened to me before

Trying to get it redelivered to a different address at this point is a complete waste of time. First, it'll take a couple days to reroute (if they let you), then you have to waste your time waiting for the damn thing.

Based on what you've said thus far, you definitely had them ship your computer FedEx Ground. Big mistake. FedEx outsources their ground delivery to people who actually own/rent trucks. They (the drivers) make money based on the packages in their trucks, get to your house whenever they feel like it, and pretty much "own" your package until they deliver it. Obviously they won't open it or anything, but typically these people drive their trucks back to their homes at night and your package sits there overnight.

If it's true that the depot won't open until Tuesday (which is weird because I didn't realize Monday, the 22nd, was a holiday of any sort), what you have to do is call the FedEx depot at 6:30-7:00 in the morning. This is about the time that they load their trucks. The guy/gal who has your package will be picking up new deliveries at this time and will be in contact with the depot's dispatcher directly. Call the depot and ask the driver to leave the package in the depot. If the driver has already left for the morning, your only hope is #1, that the driver has a cellphone that the dispatcher can call and figure out where the driver is so you can meet him or #2, the dispatcher knows the general area that the driver is in so you can drive around and catch him.

Here's another problem. Say, by some miracle, your mom catches the driver. The driver has the right to refuse delivery because YOUR NAME is on the package. Then you have to wait until the driver eventually makes it to your parents' house.

Now that I've told you all this, I have a suggestion for the future. If the item you need is THAT important to you, don't be a cheap ass...pay for FedEx Air. It's obviously worth it, to you. Good luck.

7. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

runninmac: I hope it all turns out okay, too. Thanks!
    BlueT: Thanks for the advice, since I'll be up early on Tuesday, anyway, I'll probably go ahead and call in like you advised. In the future, I will definitely hav them ship via a different method than UPS ground...unfortunately, this is the first purchase I've ever made through Apple, so I wasn't aware of how that worked. At least I'll know in the future!

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and support.

-Colin

8. BlueT macrumors member

Sorry if I came off a little prickish. I didn't know that this was your first purchase with Apple. I'm sure you'll be able to get your computer on Tuesday. Patience being a virtue and all. (Of course, I can say that because every time I order something online or by phone, my biggest complaint is the lack of instant gratification. I'm constantly uneasy until I get the stuff in my hands.) Take care.