What a TERRIBLE experiance at the Genius bar!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BiikeMike, Feb 4, 2007.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

So, My MacBook Pro has been having problem after problem. I was dropped a few months ago, dented in the front, and the closing mechanism does not work anymore. I took it into the store a while ago, and they said if everything is working fine, don't worry about fixing it, it'll be a lot of money. So I didn't.

It has been working fine for months, I just added a gig of RAM a month or so ago, and everything started working terribly a couple weeks ago. all kinds of unexpected closings, crashes, etc. I was on the phone with Apple for over an hour, and I ended up erase installing OSX.

So then I found myself in the position of reinstalling all my programs. I had a CD in the drive that was not reading correctly, things froze up, and I restarted. It came up with a grey screen, and did nothing. I restarted. Blue screen, nothing. You get the idea. So I took it to the Apple store.

The genius told me that I needed a new logic board, and because it had been dropped, it wasnt covered and would cost me $1200+. I asked him if he could get the disc out, and he said he would have to take the whole thing apart, take out the optical drive, and that might not even work.

I then went to CompUSA to see how much they would charge to fix it. I explained what was going on, and the guy stuck a small piece of cardboard in my CD drive, (a piece of Windows Vista Literature of all things) the CD popped out, and my computer started up. So, here I am with my computer, working just fine, fixed, at CompUSA, for free, in 3 MINUTES!

I've bought 2 computers and mulitple iPods from this apple store, and all I have to say is that when the time comes to drop 4 grand, there is no way in hell I'm going back to the Crapple store, CompUSA here I come!

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Doctors make mistake, Pilots make mistakes and yes even Apple Genuses make mistakes!

Oddly though Apple did stick things into your disk drive, thats a common practice!:p

3. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Well, There is making a mistake, and there is charging me $1200 for something that can be fixed in 3 minutes!

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

That does suck, but your win some, your lose some:p