What a way to go. Look out below!

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Mar 31, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I know I shouldn't... but... hahahahahahahahahaha :eek:

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is very sad, not an easy way to go. Suicide is never the proper option. It sounds as though he did get enjoyment out of the plane that he used in WW II. The brain tumor may have clouded his thinking. :(

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i think it's a great way to go..i'd do the same except try to plan it where i wouldn't land in a populated area...no need to mentally scar others on my way out.

hmmm...maybe over a volcano or a remote desert. and from an altitude that would make retrieval of my body pointless.

pretty dang gutsy if you ask me.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree, but we say that from the viewpoint of perhaps not facing a terminal illness.

I had a distant friend that was diagnosed with a terminal illness. He had rented a grand beach house with a private beach for the extended Holiday weekend. His only request was that the party goers leave by Sunday evening. He also made it clear that his time was near. So it was more a celebration of life and the good times. We for the most part thought that he had a few months left.

I learned from closer friends of his that come Monday he had the Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner of his dreams. He wrote a few letters. Made a few phone calls. Come sunset there were only two people left, other than himself. He turned to them and said he was going for a swim. They knew in their hearts what he meant. They turned and left.

His body showed up a week or so later. Some of us who knew him was shocked at his death, others of us knew better. Only two know the truth.

Suicide is never pleasant for the survivors. If facing certain death due to illness, i would rather choose my own exit. And to do it doing something that means something to the individual is so much more meaningful, than to sit in a car, or to take razor to ones wrists.

To me it amounts to death with dignity. thats all one can ask for in the end.

i am conflicted on this topic. I had an aunt that lived for 3 years in a nursing home. When she was put in the nursing home, the indications were that she would not last 3 to 6 months due to her illness. She hung on till her estranged daughter came for a visit, that evening she passed away. On the other hand my Mother suffered with heart disease and many other ailments. She was a strong woman. She survived, even when doctors said that she should have been dead already.

It was with my Dad behind the wheel that my Mother had a heart attack on her way to the NIH to confirm her cancer diagnosis. According to her, she "died" twice" on the table. I believe that she wanted to go "home: that day.

I guess in the end it is not our place to judge. There is a "larger" power that will decide. We can only pray that they made the right choice....

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I sure hope he sought a second opinion before renting that biplane...

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i just hope he didn't put up too much of a deposit on it... because, i'm willing to bet the estate doesn't get that back.

i agree with most of chip's statement, while i personally would be hard-pressed to kill myself in the face of terminal illness (i'd have to be to the point that i couldn't enjoy anything anymore), i think everyone else should have the right to do so... and i have, in two cases, voted to "pull the plug" on a relative... obviously that's passive rather than active euthanasia, but the idea is the same--

paul

7. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know, if someone was blasting "It's raining men" on the ground when he impacted, it'd actually be funny.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why would they care? It's not like he damaged the plane.

JJ, you're a sick individual. That made me laugh quite hard! Now I've got 'It's Raining (old) Men' stuck in my head.

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Yeah, that was one of the funniest lines i've heard on this board.

P-Worm

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Paul i draw the line at "enjoying" life and facing the ultimate. In my book there is a big difference (and i hope in God's eyes too).

those suffering depression are different from those that have been told that they have months to live IMO.

I truly speak from experience. From the aspect of wanting to take my own life (I was labeled as a failure by my family, and was afraid from failing in the "ultimate" act - hence my ability to leave this message today). Lost a friend to "auto-erotica", so one can argue whether it was suicide or an accident. A lover that tried to OD on sleeping pills. Or a customer that I considered a friend that plowed his car into a bridge buttress. Or a friend that allowed himself to be gutted like a fish, to obtain the peace that they all sought. Or a girl friend that a buddy of nine found in the tub with her wrists slit. Or the guy on Christmas Eve hat leaped in front of cars off an overpass. Or a coworker that slit her wrists (vertically as opposed to horizontally).

One of the issues that needs addressing is how we address mental health issues. Because of my issues i was denied short term and long term insurance. All because of the hep i sought. Becuase of that help I am here today.

I have nver been forced to vote for "pulling the plug". Hope to God that i don't.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

How sad so many`feel that his final act is a matter of joking. I hope that none of you are ever found in such a situation.....

May the higher being have mercy on your afterlife....

12. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Come on man. I was just kidding. Hey, I have depression too. So I know. That's why I'm usually posting one-liners on the boards. It keeps me in good spirits and if I can give someone a laugh for the day - all the better.
    No mean-spiritedness meant if that's what was perceived. IMO the best way to beat the blues is to just laugh. It really is good medicine.
    I'm sorry to hear about the demises of all your friends. Life is truly tough. We're all programmed at an early age to think that you have one shot to be a winner in life and if doesn't go well; well, you're just another loser.
    Hogwash.
    I know more interesting people who've been through the wringer than yuppie thirty-somethings who've never had crisis or turmoil in their lives. Believe me, their number will come up. And I'm willing to bet that they don't fair well if they have their crisis later in life.
    I believe everyone will experience something in their life that will test the very timbers of their souls. If you are emotionally tough, you'll bend like the reed in the wind and keep standing. If not, well, what can I say. It's just the luck of the draw. Even the mightiest oak will heave and crack eventually.
    I've been tested early on. Even before my age was in the double digits. Then tested again in adolescence. It goes on to this day, because I can't turn my back on flesh and blood no matter how much I want to.
    I hope you will do well and find peace for yourself. As for myself, I shall try to do the same.

13. Dros macrumors 6502

I felt sorry for the pilot. I have mixed feelings about a terminally ill person wanting to kill himself in this situation. But I have no sympathy for how he did it. He may have wanted a "blaze of glory", but can you imagine being the person trying to wrestle him back in the plane, only to have him slip out of your grasp and watch him fall? I guess people at suicide hotlines experience something like that, only not quite so viscerally.

And how tragic if his fall killed someone on the ground. To me, it brought home how suicide is never a solitary act... even those done in some private way, the act ripples throughout a network of family and friends.

14. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I can't think of a more fun way to go. I personally don't understand why suicide is illegal. Surely a person ought to be able to decide for their self whether to live or not. I mean, we should help those who are suffering from mental/emotional choices and are not necessarily in their right mind, but anyone else ought to be able to decide for their self. If you don't like the pain, if you don't want to watch yourself wither away from cancer and die a slow death, if you don't want to become senile and helpless--then what's the big deal?

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Suicide should be illegal for sub-30 year olds, because youths tend to blow things out of proportion.

But as for the story, it is comical in a sad kind of way.

I feel really sorry for not only the pilot (think of having to fly back down after the incident :eek: :() but also for the people who saw the impact. I don't know about y'all but that would really freak me out.

scem0

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

scem0 --

You Lying bastard!

I don't throw things out of proportion!

Your insensetive comment will be the death of me.

*takes out glass of water and cyanide pills*

17. m4rc macrumors 6502

I think that if someone chooses to 'go' so publically, then people are entitled to laugh, cry, talk, whatever. It is not sad, the guy obviously weant to great lengths to do this, it was far from spur of the moment. He knew what he was doing, and is now at peace.

For those saying it is wrong to laugh, how wrong you are. We all deal with death in different ways, and when someone chooses to go in such style, good for them! The last thing he would have wanted is for this to be a big secret - I am sure he wanted the world to know. No-one is being unkind, just lightening the atmosphere - far too much heavy serious stuff in the world today. If the gentleman had wanted to go quietly in his sleep, a bottle of sleeping pills is a lot less hassle than organizing a plane, and a lot less open and public.

I hope he is now resting in peace.

And before the backlash starts, I too have very real personal experience of suicide, depression and terminal illness.

Marc

18. The_Dood macrumors member

I feel sorry for the pilot and also people who owned the apartment patio he landed on... jeez, that would have given anyone a heart attack to have a guy just drop outta the sky like that. my best friend was diagnosed with a brain tumor a few years ago, and he wasn't expected to make it, but now he's fully functional again and back to normal. He's no 80 year old man, but I'm curious to know if the guy would have lived had he not decided to jump/fall out ot of the plane.

19. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken