What abour Refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mookamoo, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Mookamoo macrumors member

Just about to get a MacPro.

Apple (UK) are offering refurb 2.66 standard spec machines for £200 off.

Is this a good idea or not worth the savings in the long run.

I've been a Mac user since '91 so a little bit of fiddling (HD replacments/OS reinstall/RAM upgrades etc) are not beyond me, but other more major problems are a little more scary and I want this machine to last 3 years.

Currently using an ex demo 17" Powerbook which has been trouble free.

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Do a forum search. Many people here have had great success purchasing refurbs, myself included.

3. Mookamoo thread starter macrumors member

Cheers. I can't find a bad experience anywhere!

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

As long as you buy a refurb of the latest model currently available, you sacrifice nothing except BTO options.

There's no guarantee, but in many cases you may end up with extra free upgrades
    like extra RAM. a better video card or larger HD.

Generally refurbs arrive in pristine condition and of course you have the full factory
    warrantee and Apple Care available if there's any problem at all.

It's the best way to save money for those who do not qualify for the education
    or ADC discounts.

5. Voltes V macrumors member

my macs are all refurb'ed but came in prestine condition. its like buying brand new.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I got a 1.66 Mini refurb. It was $649, came with a Superdrive (it was the high end model before the speed bumps). Considering you can't get the 1.66 low end Mini now and add the SD for $50 anymore, I thought it was a great deal. The new 1.83 was $799 and the EDU discount is only $20 on Minis. I don't think there is anyway I could tell between a 1.66 and a 1.83. I replaced the 512 with 2x1GB sticks when I got it, very easy, and it flies. Not to mention I ordered a printer with it and it qualified for the $100 printer rebate. That said you may want to check out CompUSA if you are in the market for a Mini, rumor is they are selling the old 1.66 Minis (superdrive) for $519, price listed at $649, markdown shows up at the register. That's better than my printer rebate.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Oops!. You said MacPro and you are in the UK. So I guess you can disregard all the Mini and CompUSA stuff. But yeah, refurbs are great deals. However, I would advise you that if Apple releases 8-Core Mac Pros this month, the Quad-Core refurbs will come down more, so you may want to wait a couple weeks to decide on that.