What about AirPort Extreme?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MegaSignal, Mar 5, 2004.

1. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

In searching for a totally wireless desktop computer (I've decided upon a tricked-out iMac 20", Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, 1G RAM) for my web browsing, eMail, and occasional video editing with FCE and iDVD, I am about to purchase an AirPort Extreme. I currently have a wired DLink router; my DSL service provides me with about 108Kbs; I was also thinking of connecting the AirPort Extreme down stream from my wired router for more security, but I'm not sure of this last aspect as I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to routers/Wi-Fi/TCP-IP addresses, security, soft/hard firewalls, etc.

Surprisingly, two other threads concerning Wi-Fi routers made no mention of AirPort. Does anyone have any recommendations for or against AirPort Extreme?

TIA

2. smharmon macrumors member

Airport Ex. is great. It will work with your wireless router. If you are worried about security, just use 128bit encryption.

3. pbailey macrumors newbie

pbailey

I've been using an Apple Airport 802.11b just over a year and it works great. I have a Windows machine along with a Mac that access the internet via the Airport and everything works just fine.

I have enabled WEP, 128bit encryption, using DHCP with NAT (so I don't need a stand alone Firewall), created a closed network, disabled SNMP and remote configuration from the WAN port, and last but not least defined how access to the internet is restricted only to wireless clients I authorize.

That should do it.

4. MegaSignal thread starter macrumors 6502

Lots of good information here. I appreciate it!

5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Just because you have an Apple computer, doesn't mean you need an Apple wireless router.

Get a Linksys G wr54G? - it is So much cheaper and does the same (and more) than the airport.

6. pbailey macrumors newbie

pbailey

Your correct, other solutions will be less expensive than Apple's. But I like dealing with one company.

One thing I enjoy is not having to check out 2 or more manufacturers web sites for software/firmware updates. Apple's software update does that for me automaticly. Also when you purchase a new mac along with AppleCare. Apple will extend your warranty from one to three years on all Apple hardware you purchase at the same time.

AppleCare for PowerMac = $249.00

Lets say you purchased the following items: AppleCare, PowerMac G5 (incl. keyboard and mouse), 23IN Cinema Display, Airport Extreme Base Station, iSight, and Airport Extreme. Since you purchased all items on one invoice, Apple will extend the warranty of all items mentioned above for 3 years.

It just helps me get more bang for the buck.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I buy Apple-branded products whenever possible, but I'm not a big fan of the AE base station. I have 3 of them (long story there) and random cutouts are common. For some reason the model with the modem and external antenna are worse than the others. Still, the benefits of using Apple products with your Mac are obvious. I'm just waiting for the magic firmware update on this particular product.

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Me and my lass will be stopping off in LA in a couple of weeks time. She mentioned needing the AE for her iBook and so I thought with the $/£ rate favouring us Brits at the moment, I could pick it up there and save me (at current rates and prices) a cool $95 compared to UK prices for the AE card and basestation.

Reading your experiences, is it worth me getting one now?

9. BJNY macrumors regular

I was told AppleCare only covers CPU & display, NOT the peripherals even if on the same purchase/receipt.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

AppleCare covers the computer, obviously. It covers the display if it is purchased on the same ticket. AirPort cards, base stations, and Apple-branded memory are covered as well if they are used with a covered computer.