What about Cinema Displays???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by youyou, Sep 22, 2006.

1. youyou macrumors member

Hi,
    Everyone is talking about MBP updtaes but i haven't heard one mention of the Cinema Displays??
    Is there any chance they will be changed or updated at the event on Monday??
    I mean to me it makes more sense that they would because it relates more to photography and they have dramatically reduced the prices which would hint that they would be changing them soon enough...
    I mean to be honest i have been waiting over 2 weeks to get my mac pro and 30" Cinema Display just to see if they will be changed on Monday?
    I truly hope they will...
    Anyone care to share their thoughts?
    And lastly is Steve Jobs giving the Keynote for the event on Monday? Or do we not know...

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The Cinemas were price-dropped in August.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060807151847.shtml

so I think it's prob a safe time to buy. The 30" was quietly spec-bumped in March... so it's hard to predict when/if another change is coming. I would count the price-drop as an update, and wouldn't expect any changes for a while. (6+ months)

arn

3. Habusho macrumors 6502

Actually the 23" was also updated with better brightness and contrast, just search the forums and you'll find plenty of threads about that.

The likelyhood of an update to the cinema displays right now is extremely low. They just updated the specs and lowered their prices.

4. youyou thread starter macrumors member

So have I waited all this time for nothing??!! :confused: :mad:

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It looks that way to me. Nothing is likely to be changed on those.

6. youyou thread starter macrumors member

And when they do change the displays do you expect the changes to be drastic? Drastic enough that I should hold off my purchase until they do?
    I mean I could just go out and get a 24" Imac and wait for them to be released... I don't really need the power of the Mac Pro I just absolutely love the Apple Cinema Displays and would be very annoyed if I spent that much money on one and then they released a much nicer one with a bigger screen and a built in Isight... I was looking to get the 30" by the way...

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In a year or so, I'd expect them to re-vamp the line with new sizes and resolutions, but I don't believe that they'll have a built-in iSight. Some day, they might apply that patent to allow the monitor to also be the camera but not today.

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Aside from built in iSight, I don't know what other "improvements" they could make that would warrant waiting. The ACD's right now are amazing LCds. I don't know what they possibly do to improve them that would cause you to be annoyed (aside from a zero bad pixel policy and cheaper prices)? We are close to the upper limits of the current technology and the design is stunning. When I got my 23, my roomate just stared at it and then commented on how cool it looked.

Anyhow, it's the nature of the computer industry. Soon as you buy something, another product is just over the horizon. At least with the ACD's you are investing in something that will be cool even when other products come out.

9. youyou thread starter macrumors member

Well I have to admit that they are stunning...I have wanted that 30" monster since the first time i layed my eyes on it...
    It's just that I would be really pissed off if they came out with a new one within the next couple of months... And yes these displays are absolutely stunning but knowing Apple they always find a way to make nicer and nicer looking products even if at this point your telling yourself what the hell can be slicker then this 30" Cinema Display...

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If you are that worried about something "better" coming out... then wait, and wait, and wait. Meanwhile those of us who bought the latest ACD's will be enjoying them while you sit on the sidelines. Sooner or later you've got to get on the "bus" or you'll never get to where you want to go.

No matter what you buy, something else will eventually come along to replace it. At least with the current shipping ACD's, you know you are getting a recently refreshed product and something that is very well designed. What else could you ask for?

You might try getting a 23 instead, and then sell it on Ebay after Apple releases Rev. B of the Macpros next year. I really don't think they will change the ACD until next summer. Of course, I could be totally wrong... ;)

11. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

You hoping for a bigger screen than 30" :eek:

12. youyou thread starter macrumors member

lolololl....30" suits me fine... but hey if they had a 32" or a 34" in their lineup i wouldnt mind one of those ;)

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I reckon screens are screens, and a slight spec increase isn't going to warrant selling your current display to buy a new one. I have a 667MHz TiBook, and i can notice that the pixels are bigger and not as bright as the ones in my MacBook, but i still find it usable. And the ACDs are much better than the TiBooks display, and probably my MacBooks.

Its always a good idea to wait until after a big event, though. If i were in your position, i would wait till after Monday (or Tuesday here). I wouldn't be expecting much though.

14. youyou thread starter macrumors member

So does anyone know at what time the event will be at? Eastern standard time? And if Steve will be giving the keynote??
    Thank...