What About My Photos?

Discussion in 'Community' started by davekramer, Aug 18, 2005.

1. davekramer macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I hope this is a reasonable place to post this...

I'm going on vacation soon, and I won't be taking my Mac along with me. And that causes me a problem:-

I intend to take lots of photos on my digital cam. But what do I do when its memory gets full? How can I free up the memory by unloading the photos onto some other medium, given that I won't have my computer?

* There's the brute force solution, i.e. I buy a whole bunch of memory cards for the cam. That sounds kinda expensive.

* There's the Internet cafe solution, i.e. I use someone else's computer to download my stuff, and then burn it onto a CD. That sounds kinda iffy, especially since I'll be in Italy and my Italian could kindly be described as middling.

Simply emailing the photos back to myself at home won't work too well -- half a gig of photos would blow my mailbox wide open!

Anyone have any other bright ideas?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Do you have an iPod? There's a cable that'll let you rip the photos straight from the camera to the iPod's hard drive.
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You could get a Gmail account and mail them to yourself since you'd have 2 GB of space.

Or if you have an iPod photo(?) and a supported camera, get the photo connector (or an B&W iPod, get the Belkin card reader) and transfer them to the iPod.

The other thing to consider is that memory is pretty cheap these days. You could probably pick up a couple of 512MB cards for little more than $50
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Be critical and delete the photos you take that are absolute crap. I mean, we all know you're going to take 3-4 photos of the same thing, and that they'll look nearly identical. Just keep the best photo and delete the 2-3 bad ones that you took of the same subject?
  5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Fully realizing it's not cheap, I would go the route of buying another card. In fact, that's what I did for my 19-day honeymoon in Mexico. My camera is only 2 megapixel, so the 256MB card I bought held a couple hundred pictures, supplementing the 2 32MB cards and 8MB card I already had. In total it was enough.

Another strategy, when reality hits, is to spend a little time one evening (or day) erasing some of the duds. Before I got the 256MB card I was once on a long trip without my computer and had to make some pretty tough choices about which pictures to keep. Hopefully you can avoid that, but usually there are at least a couple pictures that aren't really worth keeping.

How long are you going for? What resolution do you take pictures in and how much space in cards do oyu have already?
  6. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Trouble is, you often can't see on the little LCD which photos are best, at least focus-wise. But a 512MB card will store a hell of a lot of photos.
  7. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    if this is your first trip to italy i imagine you will take a lot of pictures ;) i really would think about buying more memory, it is pretty cheap these days. (and in comparison to what a trip to italy costs, it shouldn't be too bad)
    if you can find a way to extract them, the gmail accoount idea is a really good idea. i have like 50 invites or so too if you need one. private message me your current email address if you want me to send you an invite to gmail.
  8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    True, but don't most cameras let you zoom in on your pictures to take a closer look? It's a pain, of course, but badly out of focus things can be found pretty easily that way. But you're right. It's far from perfect, but at least you can get rid of the obvious ones.
  9. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Jun 3, 2004
    east of the West and west of the East
    I was just in Germany and Denmark this spring with my 5MP Canon A95 and 512MB card. I took over 200 photos and barely used up half of the card. I managed to snag the card for $26 after rebate too, so a good-sized memory card would be a workable solution.
  10. davekramer thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    What About My Photos?

Wow! 8 replies in just a few hours! You guys are either really keen, or you don't have anything better to do!

I liked the iPod idea; if I had one, that would instantly solve my problem, but since I don't...

It looks like my best bet is to make sure I have lots of CF memory for my cam, to cull my shots ruthlessly, and to keep the pixels-per-photo to a minimum. Not exactly rocket science, but thanks for the help.

11. sambo. macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
    outback, far from the surf

options are really

A: Get a few BIG cards. eg of the 4GB+ variety. btw: a 512MB card isn't "big", it's actually kinda pokey.
    B: get an iPod (don't NEED to be a "photo" either) + connector (Belkin media-reader etc) :eek: :cool:
    C: while on the road, periodically go to a 'puter/camera/print shop & ask if can download & cut a coupla CD's on the spot, then keep one with you & post the other home. (make sure to take any software/cables etc with you) :cool:
    D: a combination of the above, eg: and ipod + periodic back-up and send-home. ;)

i'm not a fan of editing on the fly. you can't really see a pic on those little camera screens. i prefer to "Delete" permanently only after i've seen it on a screen.

a note on digi cameras in general: set it to the highest res (3008x2000 for a D70) at minimum compression (JPEG Fine) and NEVER drop it down. that "once-in-a-lifetime" photo of the bridge falling down isn't worth nearly as much if it's shot at 640x480 "so i can fit more pix on the card...." :eek:
  12. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2005
    38° 12'47.72" N 85° 31'54.63" W
    Ok, I am going to ask the question no one else has asked... Why are you not taking your Mac along? That to me seems to be the perfect solution. If it is because it is a desktop setup that would make sense. You may want to see if a friend/co-worker would let you borrow a laptop. Also what kind of camera do you have? No matter what some may say unless you have a really high end camera that takes each image as a 6 MB file a couple 512MB cards should do nicely. I have a 3 megapixel fuji which takes 1 MB images and I am truly happy with the images.

Oh well just a few thoughts.
  13. davekramer thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    What About My Photos?

I have a laptop (a very nice but elderly iBook G3), but I'm not taking it along because (a) it weighs nearly 6 pounds, (b) I really don't want it to get broken/stolen/sand in keyboard/wine in hard drive/lasagna sauce on screen, and (c) it seems like serious overkill to take it along purely for the purpose of downloading my photos!

Cam-wise, I have the very 1st model of the Canon Digital Elph (the S100). It's a tiny little 2Mpixel camera -- not a lot of bells & whistles, but it does what I need. The default image size is about 0.5 MB, with best resolution producing 1MB images. I currently have only 32Mb of CF memory, but I have a 512Mb card on order. Maybe all I need to do is get one more...
  14. davekramer thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    B: Just for downloading some photos? I like music, but I'm not a huge music fan, so the iPod would mostly be unused except for the once or twice I'd use it to load up on photos.
    A: That would cost me as much as an iPod -- and I have a 2Mpixel cam anyway, which doesn't eat up THAT much memory.
    C: This would make a lot of sense in an English-speaking country, but given that I'd have to stumble my way along in Italian, it'll be an interesting exercise!

I think I'll just get another 512MB CF card, and chuck photos away if I run out of space...
  15. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    I pondered this issue earlier this year myself.
    Travelling from AUST to USA, then through the Caribbean...
    as much as I love my PB - didn't want to have the extra luggage.

Thought about iPod, CD, internet options...
    easiest thing that I ended up doing - which has already been mentioned above... as they are so cheap these days... is just buy a couple of extra memory cards (or even one!) I already had the one that came with the camera, and the one they threw in for free... so I just bought one more. Buy as big as you can afford and you will be fine!

I took over 500 pictures on my holiday - and didn't even go close to filling one card!
    Came back plugged it into my PB - and VOILA! they were all there!!!

Oh yes - and then the people I travelled with... before they started mucking around on their Windoze systems... I plugged their camera's into my PB as well - and had all their photos displayed in iPhoto before they finished importing them into their machines!
  16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I bought additional memory for my camera in preparation for a trip, but I also found another method to conserve space. I tested the various levels of jpeg compression that the camera offers in its settings, particularly with outdoor photos, and found that I was using a lower compression setting than necessary. I changed to a higher amount of compression and could not tell the difference.

You can also reduce the resolution used by the camera, for some or all photos you take, but I wasn't willing to do that. I use the highest resolution in case I get that "one in a million" photo worth getting a large reprint of. Perhaps the higher compression I'm using will matter for that, but I'm not worried about it.

One last idea: If you aren't planning any other trips soon, sell the excess memory when you get back. You won't get your purchase price back, but it'll make the net cost less.
  17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i would buy another card, as big as you can, that way you will have it for the future too, when you upgrade your camera, just make sure it uses the same media and it will still be userful
  18. Merf macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Does your camera support Microdrives? They are pretty cheap and they get pretty big. You can get one here:http://dealram.com/prices/32/4GB.html 169$ for a four gig. Not bad. Justa little hard drive basically. I have a sandisk 2gb ulta II card myself. For my Minolta Maxxum 7d. Each picture is 5 mbs.

So have fun in Italy, A girl I know jsut got from a year of foreign exchange there. She brought back two Italian guys and i have been hanging out with them some.