What about the 95% who did evacuate?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ~loserman~, Sep 1, 2005.

1. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

What about the 95% of the people who did have the means to evacuate.
    Where will these people go.?
    Who is taking care of them?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We'll have to do it and volunteer to do so. The Bush Administration certainly won't-our resources are all overseas. Having experienced the Reagan policies on AIDS (or the lack thereof), this is how it will go. We'll have to take care of people on our own.

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Some of the public schools are opening up as sheltrers.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

There are shelters being set up in neighboring states (including Texas). Also, I heard that the TEA is planning on setting up a system for evacuees to go enter Texas schools...

5. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

We are talking about 500000 to a million people displaced between LA, MS and AL.

Seriously where are these people going to go?
    This will take months and months to sort out and possibly years to recover.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just told you in my earlier post. If you can take someone in, do so and so will I.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I think that Dave has 8 extras living in his house...

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

There are MANY people doing this. I myself have 9 additional people living in my house because they don't have power.

After they leave, my dad's aunt and my mom's sister will be living with us because they no longer have home.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good for you, daveway. We all need to make our homes available.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

CNN (Larry King Live) just announced they're turning them away from the Astrodome. No more room.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just opened up my home to some relatives of a friend at work. Guys, if you can, offer to temporarily house some one.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I heard that San Antonio is taking buses from LA now.

Lethal

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

From what I understand that the 95% you talk of have the means for the most part to make a better life for themselves.

We have a great disconnect between those that have the means and those that don't in this nation.

When people at a "well to do" hotel are refused access to a bus, and other guests at the hotel drive away without taking others with them - we have a disconnect. When we are supposed to feel sorry for a guy that lost a million dollar home in the Gulf - we have a disconnect.

According to reports New Orleans had a30 to 40% poverty rate. Before the storm hit, and the initial evacuation was ordered - little attention was provided to those greatest in need.

Even in the last two days, as some NG units ferried around the press, they passed by those that waded in the sewage and chemical waste that their government had little concern about.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Honestly the problem of what to do with up to a million people, some of whom may be displaced for the better part of a decade, is on the back burner right now. They're not in any immediate danger, and thus there is time to figure out what to do with them.

Some will undoubtedly move on, unable or unwilling to wait until their homes are rebuilt. Others will need long-term temporary housing. Many of them will have lost everything, but at least they are alive and safe from further harm. Until that can be said about everyone still in New Orleans the people who did evacuate will have to wait. Sure, get the feds out there handing out money to those who need it so they don't join the ranks of the homeless and the hungry, but as long as they are all sleeping under a roof right now, lets focus our energy on those left behind...

Is flood insurance in New Orleans like earthquake insurance in California? Nearly impossible to afford?

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

My wife and I were talking about this last night, and we'd be willing to take someone in if it were somebody we knew or knew of. With two small children, it's a more difficult situation.

We're trying to determine if we know anyone in the area or from the area.

16. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

It is $250/yr. for flood insurance.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh good, that's cheap so hopefully most of the people who lost homes will be covered through private insurers.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What does it cover? (And please, don't say "floods.")

Hardly anybody carries earthquake coverage in California because the deductibles are huge.

19. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

The Houston Astrodome is opening up for people to go too...

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Astrodome is already full. They were turning people away yesterday.

21. ~loserman~ thread starter macrumors 6502a

And the astrodome was only taking people who came on the buses. If you came by car they turned you away.
    Of course as you say it was full yesterday.
    I heard on the news that other domed stadiums and convention centers were opening up for refugees

22. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

The influx of people has been pretty wild up here. I'm about 4.5 hours from New Orleans.

We have our convention centers open, and they are completely filled. All of my friends who have recently graduated college, and had made thier lives and homes in New Orleans, are living with me now.

90% of my friends live in Baton Rouge (45-60 miles from NO). All of my friends have left Baton Rouge, except for one. He told me on the phone last night that it's absolutey insane there, and the news isn't even touching on the violence and panic that have broken out even there. He's grabbing all the valuable items from his house, and heading up here.

My mom and dad volunteered to help cook at one of our convention centers last night. They are going again this weekend, and I'll be joining them to help in whatever way I can.

My girlfriend bought over $100 worth of baby food and formula to give to people at the centers. Not a huge amount, but not bad considering she's a 20 year old who has basically been laid off from her job until BellSouth gets the long distance working again.

There a ton of people still coming in, and we live in a pretty small little city. I can't imagine what it must be like in Houston.

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Bus crashed on its way to Dallas. At least one evacuee died.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Even though the worst effected areas descended into violence and anarchy it is uplifting to see the surrounding cities and states helping out so readily. Not just w/opening up refugee centers, but things like organizing job fairs for refugees, and opening enrollment in schools to evacuee's children.

Lethal

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And forgetting the rules for proper paperwork, so those without their birth certificates and such can attend classes. Gives hope that some are using their hearts in a bad situation.