What about the next 'Appleworks' going OpenSource with OpenOffice?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walkingmac, Dec 28, 2004.

1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

I was just thinking, why wouldn't Apple base the next version of the much awaited revision of Appleworks (or any other name of Office Suite) on the OpenSource OpenOffice? With their unilateral approach across their product line of OpenSource and Open Standards [ya... I don't know much about what I am talking about] (OS X, QuickTime, ACC, etc...) directions, why not take on the mangled locked box of M$ Office with the widely used and accepted OpenOffice. If they created a free office suite based on this, I think it would be huge and would really rattle some heads.

Thoughts? Is this plausible?

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

My guess is that they're making money off of Office, and they don't want to piss of m$ too much, so they're just leaving Apple Works be for now.

Just my guess. Don't get me wrong though- I'd LOVE to see an updated version of AW :)

3. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

this is tru, I would say that if they keep the momentum they have gained with iPod, iMac, Pixar and other items that show the Apple brand as something to stand up and take notice, I would say we could see this in a few years maybe.