1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

What about this case?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rezet, Aug 13, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

2. macrumors 65816

G5orbust

that "predator" case is awesome, but I prefer the G5 case.

3. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've seen them in person at Best Buy and they are huge and tacky in person...they do have the initial wow factor at first, though.

4. macrumors 68040

tazo

that thing may just beat the g5 as ugly. Atleast the g5 doesnt look like a ****ing toy

5. macrumors 6502a

alia

I think that case is a little over the top for my tastes. Although... if I had a computer with that chameleon paint job, I'd constantly be walking around it or turning it around just to see it change color. I guess I'm just easily amused.

;)

Alia

6. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Alienware has toys-r-us cases for their pc's. However, just about everytime i touch my 12" powerbook i get a static electricity shock. I imagine the G5 will do the same thing when you touch it.

7. macrumors 6502

I also saw one in bast buy the other day. My inital reaction was just to say out loud, "thats the most ugly f***ing pc I have ever seen" I didnt get thrown out (this time) but I said it loud enough to get some evil scornes from the high school lackies they have working there.

Like someone else said, It looks like a toy.
    I didnt know tonka was into the pc buesness.:rolleyes:

8. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Kool...

Cheesy plastic panels over an ugly metal box.

9. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Sounds like you are describing a GM car...heh...but yes, they are pretty cheap and tacky looking...but then again, it looks like Tonka designed the GUI for Windows XP, too...

10. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Yeah yeah, I guess a metal box with small holes all over is a stunner. I think this is the coolest PC i have ever seen. I'd get that over just about any design I have seen.
    I will have to look at it in person, maybe I'll change my mind, but from what I've seen on the web, it looks hot.

11. macrumors 68000

tjwett

one word...Tacky! i might have thought it was cool when i was 11 years old though.

12. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I'd take a mesh front grill and near silent running over a "traditional" front grill and jet engine like fans any day. ;)

These Alienware cases just look chunky to me. I'm not a huge fan of the G5's case either, but at least the G5 cases' form follows function where the Alienware is just blah for no good reason. :)

Lethal

13. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Not much can compete with the sheer understated beauty of a clean, minimalistic Aluminum PowerBook in my eyes. It just screams out taste...like a fine German or British automobile.

14. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

You know what angers me? That just like democrats have nothing good to say about the president you can't say anything good about PCs. NOT One thing! NOTHING!
    Who cares that you belong to a different party or that you like different computer or whatever, why not admit some things that seem quite obvious. Your policy is that if it's not made by apple, it's automatically not good.

I know you all gonna say now that it's not your bias here: "it's my opinion, I don't have to like it" and "this is mac rumors site, what do u expect" or some other excuse to justify ur pc bashing for what seems to be no reason. I have been on this site for almost half a year and haven't seen anyone say anything, not one thing at which competitor is clearly better. I like macs but I'll call things they way they appear not the way I WANT them to appear.

15. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well, personally, when I see a few Sonys I can definitely step back and say "That looks pretty sexy" and do admire what many PC manufacturors have done with their products. I've seem some really cool Fujitsu models and there is a media center Toshiba laptop that can record and display digital HDtv, along with full video capture and DVD-RW and various other things. I have seen a couple of PC laptops with 128 megs of video RAM, even. That's pretty cool, too. It's just most of Alienware's designs are really just...ass ugly...and I am not talking about the ass ugly that can look better with enough to drink, either, but I am talking about the ass ugly that makes you wonder if there is a God...

16. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

We are talking about something 100% subjective here (the aesthetic value of the Alienware cases). There is no right or wrong answer. You call things they way they appear to YOU, but that's not necessarily the way they appear to other people. Yet again you seem irriated that people disagree w/yer opinion(ZIP thread). Many posters on this site, including myself, have stated over and over again that both platforms have their strong points and their weak points. Example, I honestly don't think you'll find anyone here that will seriously recommend a currrent Mac to someone who is looking for a hardcore gaming rig.

There are some nice looking cases out there for PC's, but those Alienware cases aren't them (IMO).

Lethal

17. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They sort of give me nightmares and flashbacks to the Barbie and Hot Wheels PCs.
    [​IMG]
    And that it's still possible for somebody to do a Barney wrapper around a PC, heck with the Alienware machine purple and a couple stickers and you're already there. :eek:

18. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

What the hell are u talking about? We are not talking about capabilities here. We are talking about the design. Design of the desktops. From what I have seen, most desktop including your highly respected G5 look like crap. Metal boxes with practically very little differences. I respect imac design, cube design and even quick silver design as not only they look stylish they bring someting new to the lines of personal computers. What I see now is a trend of building a design that looks like more and more like a simpliest metal box that can barely compete with designs of early 486DX precessors.
    And you are afraid to speak the truth and say that THE KING IS NAKED?

19. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Damn, I almost forgot about those...I swear, some of these cases make you wonder if they fell from the ugly tree and hit every damn branch on the way down.

20. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Ahh please, spare me tha...
    I understand that this is a subjective topic, but it seems that this smell of "NOT apple NOT good" is flying through the servers of this website forums.
    If this was asked on PC forum, majority answers would look totally diferrent.
    I bet if if Apple came out with similar design, you'd be singing a totally different song now.

P.S. and on the zip thread I didn't get angry at all. I just gave some points on why I thought it was better. Mostly to see an argument unfold and not same one sided answers...

21. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Who said the king is naked? :confused: You mentioned that we cannot admit that PCs are good for anything and I said there are good PCs out there and that I like the design of many Sony PCs and Fujitsu and such, was that not clear? As far as the G5...I have yet to see it, I personally don't know what to think of it yet from pictures, but it could be a nice design once I see it in person to judge for myself. At any rate, the G5 looks much more professional than the Alineware, though. I'd rather have a functional aluminum case that runs silent than a loud, ass ugly, and annoying case that makes me embarrassed when others are around.

22. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I think the most honest reaction on what people thought of G5 looks can be seen from the keynote presentation.
    Do you get that feeling sometimes that you are embarraced for someone else? Well I kind of got that feeling for Jobs when he said it was the "Thing of Beauty" and audience laughed.

23. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Ahh sunbaked, why do you have to spin? These computers are obviously specifically designed for kids.

24. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

All I can say is hell yeah, baby, take it off, because this is one fine b****!

25. macrumors 68040

tazo

I agree, those pcs were designed for kids. And considering the OS was designed by... ;)