What accessories/software should I get with my PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dferigmu, Feb 18, 2005.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

It's settled. I'm buying a 15" Powerbook. This is what I was thinking of buying to go along with it:

- APP
    - Logitech mouse
    - Apple keyboard
    - PB keyboard protector
    - Techtool Pro 4

Then of course a set of 2.1 speakers, a photo printer, a 20 GB iPod, and probably an external HD if I don't buy a PB with a Superdrive and a case later on.

What do you think? Am I missing anything? Feel free to give me suggestions on good keyboard protectors or other pieces of software it would be good to have, ect.

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

iPod (i have the U2 20GB), wireless bluetooth mouse, External HD i got the 80GB portable one which really helps and last but not least a USB thumb drive. I got the really really tiny 1GB one which you can check out in this link: (its the top one)

http://www.pretec.com/product/SSD/iDisk/Commercial_iDisk.htm

3. madrobby macrumors regular

madrobby

Get the external HD. Make two partitions, one the size of the PB's internal harddrive and a second one with the rest of the space. Get Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) for doing backups. If the PBs internal drive should ever fail, you can boot from the firewire external HD.

4. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Which 80GB external HD do you have?

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I heard somewhere that the newer 15" PBs don't need keyboard-marks-on screen protection like some of the older ones thanks to some re-designed rubber bumpers around the screen, but I have no idea.

Also, have you considered a stand? I like my iCurve. Though it does make me miss being able to use the excellent PB keyboard (personal preference), it's a nice height, leaves room underneath, and supposedly aids venting.

For your travels, it sounds like investment in a good case is a must. Check the sticky at the top of this forum, of course. Maybe you'll like one of those hard-suitcase-like ones. Mine takes shorter trips; I just use a Tucano second skin thrown in any other bag (or in my hands), and that has worked fine so far.

6. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

My essentials...

My essentials were my iCurve, iPod, and ScreensavRz from Radtech.us. I also don't think that i could live without my bluetooth keyboard from apple and my logitech mouse and a good pair of headphones. I do alot of photo/video work so a card reader was good for me. The superdrive is also a definite because of my video stuff... A good case and a USB numeric keypad (because i'm an accounting major) were also essentials. You're going to love the powerbook!

7. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

powerbook MUST HAVES!..in my opinion:

radtech wildpeedz - screen eraser replacements
    radtech screensaverz - keyboard mat
    radtech powrsleevez - notebook sleeve.

8. dxm113 macrumors member

if you're going to be out and about. . .how about a spare battery ;)

9. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

When I do get a bag, I would be interested in getting something that protects the PB really well and has a lot of padding, but also looks decent on the outside. I don't think I want a briefcase-type thing.

About heat, isn't the PB fine if it just sits on a desk? I thought it only got really hot if you used it on a softer surface.

10. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Would I need all of those? What would the notebook sleeve and wildpeedz be good for?

11. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you use the Superdrive for anything else, or just your video work? Would you suggest that or an external HD for back-ups?

12. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

The extra airflow of the iCurve isn't that much... i like it because of the elevated screen. It puts it closer to my existing monitor so when i set up an extended desktop it is less of a visual hastle. As far as the case... check out the pro backpack from Targus (around the 90 dollar range). It is very very expensive in my opinion for a case, but it is also more than well worth it. I mean, i know 2 friends that have widescreen 17" Sager notebooks that are made for gaming so they're very big and thick and they LOVE their Targus Backpacks. I kinda like them too, but it is a little big for my 12". It is very padded, matter of fact, now that i think about it, my mom carries one for her 14" iBook too and from her classroom and it works out VERY nice. Good luck man.

13. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

I MAY be a teenzie weenzie bit over protective of my powerbook....

14. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Well, the SuperDrive's main functionality is Burning DVDs for my projects, and no I don't use an external HD. I usually do 2-10 minute promo vids so my files aren't that big. If i have to do something very extravagant i use FCP HD, but usually i use iMovie... so when i get done with the final movie i burn it onto a DVD-R and the when that's done and it plays back satisfactory i burn the actual files onto a DVD+R and then erase them from my HD... and that way i can edit on the go w/ another friends' mac if i need to. Now if you don't feel like going to all that hastle, then yes, a big extenal HD is NECESSARY to keep those files on the HD. Hope that answers your question.

15. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

My 12" doesn't get too hot, though I almost never use it directly on my lap so I'm not sure I'd even notice. As I said, the iCurve "supposedly" aids venting/airflow, as in: more is better than less... or at least that's my understanding.

Check that case/sleeve sticky ... I don't have a hard case myself, but I remember seeing some really nice ones linked from there.

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Im happy!!! Check my signature: PowerBook is most likely my switching machine!!

Why is another story but...

... the accessories I am going to get if I get one:

-Apple Mouse (yes, one button - never owned one, so I want to get into the switcher spirit!)
    -Bag to carry it in so it won't scratch
    -Speakers...

I would have normally said the SuperDrive option for the PowerBook if I ordered it, instead of baseline, but an accessory I have for Windows - a Sony DVD +/- RW Burner works with Macs (unofficially but still works!!) !!!!!

17. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

man, for a "youngster" you sure do know your game. My 14 year old lil bro is thinkin about switchin... that would be the best thing he ever did. its cool to have that "youthful" input. I respect that kids today are that into the interworkings of a computer and not just things like AIM and DOOM 3D. And i say youthful and youngster in quotes because i'm only 18 and i had a passion like you do even before your age... keep up the good work, it'll take you far in life...

18. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll mainly have music, pictures, and documents on my PB. All the songs will be backed-up on my iPod and then I wanted a second copy of all my pictures and documents because I would never want to loose those. Would you say it's less of a hassle to use an external HD for back-ups, instead of burning all that stuff onto DVDs?

19. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Probably, but
    1.) I'm not paying for the DVDs so the cost isn't an issue
    and 2.) it really is easier having to take them from place to place if i have to do a re-edit quick. An external HD would probably be a good option, but i don't want to shell out the bucks for the 300gb that i really would need....

20. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

21. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

It's settled. I am buying it with a Superdrive. Someone at apple.com/support reminded me that I can make picture slideshows on DVDs and after living in Europe for a year, I will have thousands of pictures to show everyone.

I'll probably get an external HD too. Thanks!