Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterBlack

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
Hi everybody.

I'm going to Ireland (from the US) for school in January and I have had the most difficult time trying to figure out what kind of power adapter I need. I have a Powerbook G3 Firewire (i think).
Does Apple sell an Irish plug adapter? If so, does it need a power converter?
If so, how do people living in Ireland plug up? It seems like there should just be the properly powered AC adapter (220 volt 50 hz), a single unit, but I haven't been able to locate one.
I can't imagine that one needs a grip of adapters and converters to travel to Europe. I might be wrong.

Europeans? Anyone? Help!

Thanks!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Theta138
You need an adaptor that will step down from 220V to 110V.
Check out the equipment here and see if this helps any.

http://www.220-electronics.com/

Look in the Voltage Converters section.
This above information may be incorrect.

Most electronics (computers included) have power adapters that are rated for "AC 100-240V 50-60Hz". This means that as long as the power outlet is AC, between 100 and 240V, and between 50-60Hz, you'll be OK. Take a look at the power adapter for you G3. If it says "AC 100-240V 50-60Hz", then all you'll need is an adapter for the plug. I'm not sure what type of plug they use in Ireland, but I can assure you that it's not the standard 2-prong type that we use in the US.

Don't bother using a converter to step down from 220V to 110V. You're power adapter can handle it just fine. Just make sure that it says "AC 100-240V 50-60Hz".

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Oh and make sure you get a plug adapter.

Also if you are truly scared sh*tless - go to apple and buy a power adapter : thats the apple way (expensive!!)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by MisterBlack
Word.

My A/C adapter says "AC 100-240V 50-60Hz". Thanks everyone!
Just remember that you'll need an adapter to be able to plug it into the wall. Any travel type store will have one for Ireland. Probably run you $5-$10.

One thing to consider (and this might not apply to you). Don't plug your computer (or any expensive electronic device - like a digital camera) into a plug that looks old or in disrepair. It's not worth the risk, because bad wiring could mess up your gear. Since you'll be in school, you should be OK. This is more a warning for travelers in cheap hotels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.