what age were you when you left home?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 10, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i went off to college without a clue at 18 but stayed back at home two summers, and i got married relatively early at 23

my parents still treat me like a 12 year old though:p

2. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I was a little old for my grade, so I went off for College at 19. I stayed home the summer after that, then got an apartment in the fall and have never really lived at home since. I lived in Boston for five years, so I would ome back for a few weeks at a time, but that was the most, unless you count the time I spent t home while lookig for a place here in town:)

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well, i'm 17 now and in my first year of college, still living at home. and i don't plan to move out any time soon. no rent to pay, no bills etc, i'm happy!!:D

edit> i know someone at college who has moved out of home, and he asked his parents about moving back in. (although i don't think he was serious) his parents told him to 'no way'!! once you move out, theres no going back!:rolleyes: :p

4. iGav macrumors G3

I was 21....... I went to Uni in the same city as where my mum lived...... so basically it meant I had more of my student grant and loans to spend on the good things in life........ ;) :D :p

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I'm only 16 so man I got a while
    and to tell you the truth I won't be leaving anytime soon :D

7. iGav macrumors G3

I didn't notice your post above mine....... stay at home and enjoy the luxuries.... spend the cash saved on all that new tasty hardware that Apple will be releasing in the coming months...... :) ;) :D :p

Also you get your washing done for free....... the absolute biggest bonus in life...... :p :p :p

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

and free, food, free money of your folks, free cleaning sometimes :)

9. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Hmmmm, bit of a difficult one to answer. I've spent two of the past three years living abroad, with the inbetween year being at my brothers place.....as of september i'll be living in a house bought for me and my fiancee by my parents. Kind of depends on what you consider 'living at home' to be.....

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...well I'm not going to say I'm ashamed...but I have good reason for my present situation...

it would involve a quasi-involved story...I could give the short version if u guys like...

I am still at home...currently looking for a condo to buy... ;)

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

my emloyees are 29 and 31, 300 lbs each, and still live at home...in the same small bedroom

one went off to college and got his ba only to come back to the bedroom and the other left to a house down the street with young partiers who drained him of his funds so he moved back home to the bedroom

the parents are old and they are going to will the house to the boys when they pass on ten to fifteen years from now, so at least each boy, or middle aged men by then, will each finally have his own bedroom

this scenario is actually more common these days due to the extremely low wages in the area compared to the highest rental costs in california

i once thought this to be sad, but i now think it's just a trend

i have met programmers who are millionaires who all live together with their families in a small dwelling and the thought of moving out is considered strange...it's a cultural thing in many other countries and families take care of each other...the parents raise the kids until they are adults...they all cohabitate...and when the parents get old, the children take care of them

hey, at least it seems functional

but being who i am and having left the nest at 18, i am middle aged now and stuck in my ways and would not ever want to live with my parents

but if they get older, i may have to care for them as is the case with us baby boomers

in the meantime, i would like to get to own a few macs in this lifetime:D :p ;)

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

buying beats renting in most areas...good for you

once i win the california lottery, i have my eye set on this outhouse in the woods on five hundred square feet with a view of the ocean...but i will have to win anything over a cool hundred million:D

13. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I'm moving away from home next month actually. And I'm 19, btw. This fall I begin studying at the Conservatorium of Music in Trondheim... I'm really excited! It was really hard to get in and I had to do four big tests (two on my main instrument, one theoretical and one hearingtest (is that what it's called?)). Only 13 students from all Scandinavia got in..!

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

he he....thanks...if I play it right....I could have something in about 6 months...so we'll see...

it's very ironic how what one would think as a bad situation turns out to be a blessing in disguise though... ;)

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well. i'm going to be a senior next year. my 3 older brothers have all graduated and then spent 3-9 months at home finding a good job, then moving out... and i will probably follow suit.

i've spent 2 of my 3 college summers at home. and it sucks. my mom is always bugging me about working more or being productive in some other way.... can't wait til school starts....

ps. eye- you gonna let the geek festers meet your parents? haha... and hit up the pizza hottie's shop?

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ha ha ha....not quite...

but if they get the craving for pizza...we just may go there... ;)

17. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

I'm 14, so the only times I leave the house are for my summer camps. This summer I'm doing a thing called CTY (Center for [extrimily highly] talented youths), and I leave this sunday. :) Problem is, I won't get on MacRumors for 3 Weeks :( :( :( But at least I'll be learning game theory, so I can play the stock market better (I started playing it when I was like 12 :D). I'll also miss all the apple news, so I wont know that happened at MWNY till 8/3 thats bad :( :(

18. job macrumors 68040

job

Hahahahahaahahahaha....

Just kidding man. :D :D :)

Attached Files:

19. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Oh boy. Joined the Army straight out of high school. Like an idiot I joined the Infantry. Got out with education benefits. My state college is free tuition because of that. I still get G.I.Bill benefits and that goes in my pocket. Some of my friends hate me for that but come on, I risked my life for it!
    Rented a room in my friends house when he moved out of state.
    Wondering of I should further my degree here or just get the hell out. I'm sick of this place. Free tuition be damned.

20. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Wow... this is embarrassing for me...

...but I didn't move out until late. Lotsa reasons for that, but one of the biggest was waiting for the perfect moment. I.e., I used to think that in order to progress in my life, I needed to have all the conditions be juuuuuust right. Perfect salary, perfect neighborhood, perfect job, perfect everything. In the case of moving out, I refused to accept the idea of living with a roommate. Soooo, I determined in my mind that I couldn't leave home until I made enough money to support an entire rent on my own.

Fortunately, I had a friend of mine kick me in the rear (figuratively speaking) about being in my late 20s and still having my mom do my laundry and buy my groceries. In effect, he said I should be ashamed of myself. That hit home.

I had just completed school and was trying to find a job in CG. I made up my mind that once I could afford at least half the rent of a roommate situation, I'd leave mom's home for good. That moment came about a year later, and I never looked back. 4 years after that, I got my own, one-bedroom apartment in a nice section of Queens, NYC. Now I'm living in L.A., working for a VFX studio in their 3D department--faaaaarrrr away from mom's place ;-)

Self-sufficiency is a good thing. Too bad I didn't realize that back when I was 20 and decide to take on 2 or 3 roommates just to frickin' grow up.

21. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I was 17 when I started college, and that was my first time away from home. Still come home for the summer though.

Bill

22. bonehead macrumors regular

I went to college at 17 and with the exception of my first two summers have been on my own. My parents used to always say they were going to change the locks when I turned eighteen :).

23. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i have one more year left till i'm moving out, cuz i have gr 12 to complete
    bah i dunno wha i'm gonna do yet :(

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i second that one man.... every post he feels the need to plug his own "genius"...

and the fact that, though it COULD have been a typo, he said "extrimily highly"... it's a bad thing to brag about how smart you are and in the same sentence butcher a simple word like e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y

give it a rest chief.

25. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

eek

how many times have you left home?

:rolleyes:

Have you ever lived next door to your parents?

Are your parents actually pleased you came back to live with them?

I live next door as part tennant, part favour.

My dad hates having people living next door.
    Better the devil you know etc.:)