What Apple has done to me!

Discussion in 'Community' started by kaisera, Jan 10, 2002.

1. macrumors member

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey All,

It's 2am and I felt compelled to share something with my fellow MacHeads or whatever the term is.

Four months ago if you asked me what MWSF was, I would have though it was the initials to a member of the royal family. My whole life I spent with PCs, back to the earliest days of DOS. My only experience with Apple came in grade school when I used to write stories and play Oregon Trailer on an Apple IIe as well as making greeting cards (in dot matrix color!) on some color apple I didn't know the model of.

So now I am in college and began to be introduced to the Mac once again with such things as Final Cut Pro and stable OS. Over the summer I had planned on buying a 733mhz G4 for $3499 (top until MWNY). I was convinced by outside sources to buy yet another PC instead, so I built one and figured I'd get some Firewire add package. It cost me about $1200 without the editing stuff.

Come October, I decide I need a laptop. So I go out and get a Sony Vaio. Its nice, a 1ghz Processor, 256mg ram, etc. But the damn thing weights 8 lbs and I am getting maybe an hour from the battery. Oddly the same week I bought it, Apple revised the iBook to the 600mhz. So I returned the Sony to Best Buy, complaining of bad battery. I didn't know what to do, and finally decided, on a friends recommendation, to get the ibook. Well I love this damn thing. Its small, does wireless like a gem and is just fun to use.

But the issue is that since I have had it, I have become obsessed with Macs. I love OS X. Within 3 weeks, I plotted ways to come up with money for a G4 to edit with. Suddenly I was working again and had the money. I was anticipating the Keynote like it was a major milestone in the history of my life. Its just a computer I kept trying to tell myself.

Now its over. The new imac is out and I want one. The cheesy little video they made, I'm a sucker for it. Keep watching it. But I need a Tower. Now I plot ways to buy the iMac to tide me over until the new towers come or a price drop on the current ones.

So I ask, how can I get rid of this obsession? Its like drugs and I suppose thats not good.

I've fallen prey to Apple marketing and cool technology. The iPod was announced, I was in NYC the day it came out to get it. Glad I did, its great.

P.s. Apollo G4s in a few weeks? I hope so.... Can't hold out on the iMac much longer............
  2. macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    What Apple has done to US...

kaisera, you and I and I'm sure many others here are the exact kind of people that makes Apple the great company that it is. Look at that dancing iMac clip. They knew that you and I would be mesmerized by it and, in turn, we would fall in love with the new iMac. I usually avoid this term when referring to computers, but... it's soooo cute! And as a guy, that's not easy to say :) Apple knows how to reach down inside us and make us feel good about a product. Many of my windows friends don't understand that feeling and I wish I could take some of it and stick it inside their bellies, so they could get at least a hint of how much I am endeared by this... object. Apple seems to do a good job of infusing their products with personality. That's something that I can't really say about any other company or products, with the exception of the automotive industry.

Anyway, I'm afraid there is no hope for you. You are stuck! You are just going to have to find someway to have a G4 tower AND a new iMac. I'm sorry, but that's all there is too it. How else can you possibly be happy??? :confused:

Don't worry, I'm stuck too. I have a Titanium Powerbook and a 9 month old iMac and now I have to figure out how I'm going to get my hands on the new iMac, even though I THOUGHT my next computer would have to be a tower.
  3. macrumors 68000

Nov 22, 2001
    I am with you guys. I really like the imac BUT until the towers come out I cant make an informed decision, does not matter anyway because I have to wait for the combo imac anyway! Hopefully, the towers will be out by end of febuary?
  4. macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios

If I were you, I'd wait just a little longer. Ive been in your shoes, DYING to get a tower. I got the 400mHz G4 right when it came out, which was early in the life of the G4. Within 2 months, the dual 500's came out.

Now that the G4 is mature, the next revision will probably be the last one, but the best one. It will be the Rev 2. Quicksilver, and it will probably be very, very good. Then the G5's will hopefully debut.

Power users need to stay loyal to the tower. -sorry iMac fans. I love the iMac too, but you gotta support the professional models as well.
  5. Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I agree....hold out just a little longer. We're getting to the stage where it won't be too much longer till we see something big happen to the towers we have right now. The iMac moving to G4 speeds, to me, indicates there is going to be a major speed bump for the towers.

I was in your shoes a few months before the PowerBook G4 was announced. I was itching to get a PowerBook bad but knew there was MacWorld coming up so I decided to wait....and I'm glad I did! :D
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 14, 2001

Thanks all for the words of wisdom. Maybe we should all knock off a bank together to pay for this stuff and then when they catch us, we have someone to blame. Good idea? Bad idea??

Well, I hope more people post about their need to buy multiple systems. There is comfort in numbers :).

7. macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    My computer

is an original beige G3 (which replaced a Quadra 605), and it's giong to stay until it can't run the OS anymore. The longer I keep it, the better it's replacement will be. Upgrading from a 25mhz 68030 to a 233mhz PPC 750 was asn amazing improvement, some of my games went so much faster they literally made me slightly dizzy.
  8. macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    You're not alone

Almost the same thing happened to me. I Just bought the new 800Mhz iMac, 512MB memory, Airport Card & Base station, iPod, H/K Sub woofer... I couldn't stop.

Now I am eager for all this to arrive and I keep checking the the Tracking of the partial shipments. Everything shipped except the actual iMac. Nothing has arrived yet.

I am hooked and can't get out. Not sure if I want to get out. I have 3 Wintel PCs at home networked together and I work in the Wintel world as a Sr. Database Developer.

I am getting tired of the M$ world and this is a wonderful out. I think there are alot more out there that feel the same.

I was just fortunate enough to afford this stuff.

I didn't get hooked in college, I got hooked watching the first demonstration of OS X by Jobs. It's was about time!!

Take care ALL!
  9. macrumors member

Jan 9, 2002
    Between going to the Apple store over Christmas and seeing the new iMac something changed in me. I can never look at a PC the same way again. My next computer will be a Mac. I have never loaded up a PC web page and looked at a computer over and over going, Someday...Someday you will be mine.

Now when I look at Windows boxes I think of the old mainframes, when I look at Macs I see magical boxes of the future.

I try talking to my PC friends and they just do not get it, nor do they get any either :)
  10. macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2002
    you guys crack me up... in many ways, mac users share similar experiences!

I too am waiting for the new towers. One thing good about this wait, is that it may offer some of us the opportunity to save up to get a higher model. I was planning on just getting the baseline model of the new revisions, but hopefully by mid-feb or march, I'll have enough for the high-end system :) We'll see!

counting my pennies and the days...
  11. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    the Mac+

I have had the Apple bug ever since I had my First Mac... the Mac+
  12. macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Apple got me early. A Performa was my first GUI computer (before I had C64s).
  13. macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Apple got me early. A Performa was my first GUI computer (before I had C64s).
  14. Guest

Mmmm....used to be a PC goon as well. Ended up having to by an old Beige G3 mac for school with OS 8.6. Damn well fell in love with it. Now Im also dreaming of the day when I can afford a tower and a powerbook and a iMac and a ipod and a.......
  15. Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    my quick rundown...

my first Mac was a Motorola Starmax clone... 160 Mhz 603 PowerPC...

then I upgraded it to a Crescendo 300 Mhz processor card.....talk about difference!

then I went from there to my TiBook....500 Mhz G4.....what a world of difference it is!!

I have absolutely no need to get a desktop Mac at this point....I have one at work and the Book is for personal use....but I would like to get my hands on a new iMac or maybe even splurge when the next generation towers arrive!
  16. macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA

I guess we are all talking Mac History... so here is mine:

Started with a Mac+
    -Dad got me started

Next was a Mac IIvx, 66Mhz, 250MB HD
    -got it as a hand me down from Dad

Then on to a 233 Baige G3
    - Dad's Box.. but I used more

First Apple Buy as the rev-A iMac
    - Later upgraded it to a 466Mhz and 196MB RAM.

My current Mac is a 867Mhz G4 1.2 GB RAM

Started young... and will probably die a MacHead.
  17. macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    The Apple "spell"

So, Kaisera, you've fallen under the Apple spell, eh? : )

(I've posted this elsewhere on the board days ago, but kaisera's post compelled me to repeat myself...forgive!)

There are so few companies where we get this worked up over their products.

Certainly no other COMPUTER company, that's for sure. (some car companies, of course!)

There is ONE other company that I have an equal passion for and would, if they had such things, discuss rumors on various sites and look forward to keynotespeeches made by their CEO...
    and that's Bang & Olufsen.

You see, all of us here in these forums GET IT. We GET how our dreams have been realized by the combination of art and science. When combined, the effect is spellbinding, giving us both the satisfaction of thinking to ourselves "Yes, they did it right," plus the extra added thrill of "Wow...I didn't think of that!"

We're not simply geeks who dig computers and gadgets. Apple fans GET the beauty of the machines, the user-friendly-ness of the devices that they put out, the elegance, the simplicity, the user empowerment, the, dare I say, "soul" of the machines that Apple so lovingly puts in. I'm in the education business (San Diego Unified) and when I see the difference in how my "clients" refer to and treat their Macs compared to PeeCee owners, well, it's more of a "relationship" they have with them than just a machine to use.

I think you can all relate. And, to me, the only other company (that took something like home entertainment...stereos and tv's and such) and applied the same ease-of-use, artistic flair and "soul" that Apple takes with their computers, is Bang & Olufsen, hands down.

Advanced technology, in the end, should serve the user in the easiest, most elegant and ergonomic way possible. Wrap it up in packages that please the eye and "want" to be touched, and you end up with devices that will always attract a certain percentage of the planet.

The percentage, represented here on these forums, that GET it. And now you, Kaisera, get to experience that giddy rush as well. Bless your heart. : ) And the companies like Apple that give us such, well, joy.

Apple computer user/owner since the Apple IIc...

18. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 14, 2001

Talk about the best response to my original post :). Voicegy really said it right.

I'm just so tempted to buy that iMac, but I know i need to wait for the tower. Oh its rough :). I just hope I don't get driven to knocking off a bank (doubt it) :).

Anyone else holding out on the iMac for the Tower? Anyone have any sources with info on price cuts on the current Quicksilver line or something new?

HELP!!! :)

19. macrumors member

Dec 13, 2001
    There and back again...

I started on an Apple IIc, used to take the tour of spreadsheets over and over. I used Macs along with command prompt systems(my TI-99, VMS, UNIX) on and off through college. My fourth year, the Macs in the lab started having some program called At Ease on them, and I couldn't play around with them like I used too. So the first machine that I actually bought was a PC. I thought it was cool, better than the Mac, which was sliding downhill fast. A few years later, I'm supporting the PC world and I end up hating going home to use my PC, and Macs still are a little dopey - so I discover BeOS! Woo-hoo! I'm hooked on the beauty and simplicity of it. Alas, Be is run by idiots when it comes to business, and when I think all is lost, Jobs ppreviews OSX.

Again, I'm hooked! I buy an iMac a year before OSX arrives just so I can be read for OSX and it was well worth it. During that year, I get addicted to Mac hardware and the company in general. I'm watching the trade shows in the little two inch window, I have work buy me an iBook. I convince my co-workers to buy iBooks. I can't stop! I mock Windows users. I pity Linux users. I like other Unix users - they just have no style.

Now if I have a bad day at work, I get some cocoa-coffee and stare at my dock or check out Mac forums to relax (well, after hanging with my wife, Mac isn't THAT good). All is right in the world, and G5s will arrive soon...
  20. macrumors 68020

Jan 11, 2002
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Apple Pro Bug!

Since age 7 I've been a PC freak.. everything I used was a PC anyway, and my dad was all about PC.. didn't like macs.

For a while, I got used computers, junk, hand me downs, stuff to fix up, upgrade, and enjoy, then we got a set of new machines, some great stuff, much fun to have, and in my oppinion, the clumsy OS 8 didn't compare!! I kept persuading my friend to get a pc and junk his 7200.

It's been 8 years for me, and through that I consider much fun, but I learned most of what I know from what I needed to know.. having to fix the damned things every other week!

Last year, my friend dumped his 7200 and got an emachine, which he regrets to this day. It was my fault, of course, and I've already had to fix it twice!

After meeting a real mac freak, who got a cube, I was catching a really bad case of the Apple Fever, I kept staring at pictures of G4's, and cinema screens, and those toilet seat ibooks... it was all waay too cool, and as I saw, just too tempting, so I had it in the back of my head.

Until recently, all my machines started breaking down, my PC's died, the laptops were way to slow, and my only working machine was a 75mhz laptop... for 3 months I had to deal with it. :(

Then we finally got the chance, one night I was doin computer shopping, spied on many PC's, a compaq I was tempted to get, and went off to a compusa, ran into a stand with a G4 on it, turned around, and met the 'woman of my dreams'.. or should I say, computer of my dreams...

There it was.. a cinema display, with a G4 dual 800 hooked up, running videos, a really cool machine, I spent a few minutes admiring and toying with it.. and came back the next day to get one.

Aw yes, and since then I've been obsessed with apple design.. it's unique, it's beautiful, and yet it's so usable!!!

And the imac came out, I got horror when I heard of the G5 rumors, and thought again and again about parting with my big proud friend for another faster and bigger guy, but why?

Yes, I love the iMac, and am pleased to say my brother's getting one.. great machines they are.. my mom, on the other hand, still is stuck with her choice of a cinema display, and whatever else can go with that :)

Proud to be in a family of mac nerds here :)
  21. macrumors 68000

Nov 22, 2001
  22. Six
    macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Ahhh.. memories

Ahh... the fond memories of my mac using.

I remember it like it was just yesterday.

I believe I was 4 years old when I started using my mom's AppleII (at the school she teaches at,) playing "Super Bunny" Anyone remember that game? But I could only use it during the summer, because the rest of the year, it was at her school.

In 3rd grade, we finally got our own computer, an LCII with 80 whole megabites of Hard disk! woo!

A few years later, we bought a PMac 7200/90 with a whopping 500 megs of hard drive. We also got the internet, wow, how far i've come..

We were hooked.. Mom and dad got me an iMac rev B for Christmas in 8th grade.

A year later, my sister bought a G3 tower 400MHZ a few months before she moved to college.

A few months later, that spoiled brat bought a G3 400mhz powerbook. ;)

Sadly, tragedy occured... I was swayed by the word "Gigahertz" and fell sucker to the weekly best buy ads of HPs and Compaq. I looked at Apple, and could not last another day there. (It was an experimental time) Then, I decided to give the mac one last shot upon encouragement from my father, and I reluctantly watched a streaming broadcast of the expo, where Jobs introduced the Superdrive, and a few other cool things.) At that moment, I was saved. I was back in the light. I realized macs were the best computers ever made. A combination of that, and my friend's brand new windoze units having a billion problems made my faith in Apple stronger than ever.

Here I am now. I'm almost 17, and my family needs a new computer to replace the iMac (because my sister took the tower and her pbook with her to college.) I am slowly convincing my parents to buy a new iMac to tide me over until college, when i'll get a new computer for myself. G5 tower, baby!
  23. macrumors member

Oct 22, 2001
    If I would be Apple marketing manager

I would be all in tears reading this thread.

This is really touching. Apple has to point to this thread from the www.apple.com
  24. macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2001

Man, you guys are so lucky to have money to buy new computer everytime they release a update. I am itching but I don't have money to spend!! :O)

The next high end model! oohhh yeaaaahhh!!! G5 BABY!
  25. macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2001
    thanks to sears i've had many macs for six months and taken them back! heres my apple history:

original mac
    mac plus
    performa 638 CDV
    imac rev. c lime
    ibook blueberry (returned to sears after 2 months)
    imac DV lime (returned to sears after 2 months, full refund)
    imac DVSE graphite (returned to sears after 6 months, full refund)
    imac DVSE snow (bought from apple, sold to friend)
    too bad seas doesnt sell macs anymore :( im waiting till march for the imac with the 24Xcdrw or until one pops up on ebay
    my lime is a speed demon!