What Apple stuff have you had stolen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bankshot, Oct 13, 2005.

1. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I was asked about my iPod's theft in another thread, but since that was off topic there, I decided to post it here. This also goes well as a companion to today's iPod muggings thread. Post your story if you like, so we can all bond together and send rays of negativity to the lowlifes who would commit such atrocities against us... :mad: ;)

I actually have two thefts to tell about, and they're related.

My 60 GB iPod photo was only 3 months old when it was taken from me, stolen under the least likely circumstances I would have imagined. I left it alone in a locked lab at work, after hours, for 20 minutes. Came back and it was gone. (for those really interested/bored, I chronicled the timeline of events in my blog)

This is a lab where under a dozen people have authorized access (all of them trustworthy), and the only others who can get in are maintenance, security, and IT. My bet is squarely within one of those 3. The thing that really gets me is that over 90% of the people here have a Department of Defense security clearance, which implies some level of moral standards. But not for that one person.

I thought I might have just misplaced it (it was a weird day), but the theft was all but confirmed 2 weeks later when the boot drive was taken from inside our PowerMac G5 in the same lab. Same person, I'm sure. We were about to make a product delivery to our customer, and that machine was key, so I had to scramble to reinstall OS X Server on the second drive (at least they didn't take that one too) and get everything reconfigured just so we could pull data off the Xserve RAIDs attached to that machine. :mad:

Since this was stolen government property (a little more important than some schmuck's iPod), security allowed us to place some cameras in the lab to try to catch the thief. Unfortunately almost 3 months later, they haven't come back. :(

The night the drive was stolen, we were running some pretty heavy data processing on the G5, and it was saving results to the Xserve RAIDs about once a minute. The data stopped abruptly at 9:30pm, so that really pinpointed the time of theft. We asked security to cross-reference that against people who were in the plant at that time - everyone has to swipe their badge to get in and out of the facility. There were probably less than 50 people there at the time, and the majority of people who work those shifts are in classified areas where you have to swipe your badge again (our lab is unclassified, so it's just a combo lock, no badge swipe). I'll bet they could narrow it to about a dozen suspects by ruling out everyone who was swiped into a classified area at the time.

But the head of security didn't seem to care much - he came to the lab and wrote down all kinds of information (machine property tags, serial numbers, drive model numbers, etc) and probably wrote up a report based on that. We figure he considered his job finished at that point, since we never heard back about narrowing the suspect list.

I was really hoping that security would help us catch the bastard - more because of my iPod than because of the hard drive. Even if it was already sold, I wanted to see that jerk go down for stealing federal government property. Guess it won't happen. We still have the cameras up, but that catches nothing but people on our team who occasionally go down to the lab to work.

The one thing that bugs me the most is that I had a few hundred personal photos on that iPod. Nothing too private, but it's unsettling anyway to think that some jerk is probably looking through them. Made me feel violated. I'd also customized the firmware to replace the "Do not disconnect" image with a picture of my dog. Bastards could be looking at that every time they connect. :mad: My one hope is that it ultimately found its way to someone with Windows, which means it would be reformatted first time they connected...

So now I'm back to my 3rd generation 30 GB iPod, which has about 30 MB of space left, 3 hours of battery life, and intermittent hard drive problems. I'd retired that iPod for all those reasons, plus the back is signed by Joe Satriani so I put it on display. Since my case was also stolen with the 60 GB, I need to get a new one so I don't worry about smudging the signature. Bleh. :(

What's your story of loss?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

nothing because i am a big scary person.

anyways i would probably snap a persons neck that tried to mug me.

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

as would i, unfortunately there do exist small people and tiny likkle girlys

4. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

So far none of my Apple stuff got stolen. But I try to keep my iPod in my pocket all the time. ...knock on the wood

5. iminimac macrumors regular

my dad is a proffesor at a university. some people broke into a new building with professors and lecturers officers in. many computers were stolen inculding my dads Ti book. it was actually quite good becos now we have a newer powerbook instead

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I live in Canada, and I don't go into dodgy areas, plus I'm a monster of a man. So nothing stolen yet. I treat my Apple products like they are a body organ.

Although, at my highschool a few years ago, someone got his iPod snipped out of the top shelf of his locker when he was getting books out of the bottom.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hasn't happened to me, but a mate of mines mate (I know, a bit tenuous) was broken in to the other week. Brand new PB gone, external drive gone, Canon 5D gone, and 2 L series Canon lenses gone. I don't think he's a happy chappy :eek:

8. efoto macrumors 68030

I had to stop reading about cameras once I purchased mine because I knew I would be upset at how quickly mine would be outdated. Due to my lack of research on the topic, I had no idea the 5D existed but it is one awesome sounding camera. The last I heard was the 20D, but the 5D seems to blow that away :eek: (price too), sucks to have that stolen :(

9. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Never got anything swiped but I did find a silver ipod mini behind the football courts at school, didnt turn it in :eek: . Im a bad person I know :eek: :(