What Apple's and Google's Headquarters Plans Reveal About Their Cultures

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 28, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The very different designs for Apple's and Google's planned headquarters buildings are a reflection of their corporate personalities, argues a professor of architecture at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee.

In an interview with Professor Brian Schermer by digital news site Quartz (via Business Insider), the workplace design expert comments on the two companies' respective plans for their new headquarter buildings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apple CEO Tim Cook mentioned Apple's new campus at yesterday's shareholders meeting, reiterating that Apple plans to move into the facility in 2016, with construction potentially beginning later this year.

Article Link: What Apple's and Google's Headquarters Plans Reveal About Their Cultures

2. macrumors 65816

Well, you can analyze everything I guess..

3. macrumors 601

Prof.

The OCD professional adult in me likes Apple's campus more because it's organized and clean. The crazy rambunctious kid in me, however likes Google's campus more.

Honestly, depending on my mood i'd like to work at both campuses.

4. Eugene-DL, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

macrumors newbie

This says a lot

Apple - Connected ecosystem
    Google - Fragmented (even their ideas are this and that)

Both look stunning in their own ways, I think.

5. macrumors 6502a

Odd thing to analyze. But looking at Apple's design it is very "Get lost and don't look in here".

6. macrumors regular

This is worthy of the front page over so many other posts lol

7. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

I agree. Apple's is like a Closed system, but looks awesome and is more functional. Google's is more open, but yes, fragmented.

8. macrumors G5

Rogifan

What a silly article. No wonder it came from Business Insider. :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Apple seems to be a very top-down, driven company. The people at the top have a very precise idea of exactly what they want -- Steve Jobs was the penultimate example -- and the rest of the company strives to make it happen.

Google strikes me as the opposite. They have some general goals, but employees are encouraged to experiment. "Hey, I have an idea that could be great!" And they're willing to try lots of things, hoping to stumble upon something great.

Both approaches have different strengths and weaknesses. The Google approach means they try lots of things that don't really work, possibly wasting time and money, but the employees at least feel like their time and input are valued.

With the Apple approach, if they get it right, it works beautifully and it really helps their image as this magical company that churns out hit after hit and can do no wrong (because we don't get to see the ones that didn't make it out of their labs), but then you get all these comments about how they're "not innovating" because we don't see, and don't know, what's going on in there. Also, if/when Ives & Cook guess something wrong, once the market isn't quick to embrace their latest and greatest, that could be the beginning of a slippery slope.

10. Eugene-DL, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

macrumors newbie

Definitely! Google's Headquarters look like a high-end commercial centre IMHO.

11. macrumors newbie

I think Apples building design reflects more on their address rather than culture. Their campus is on Infinite Loop (St. Rd.?) A circle is a representation of an infinite loop.

12. macrumors 6502

UnfetteredMind

It would have been funny if the new Google headquarters was a single long, phallic shaped building, then we could have seen much better how the two companies interrelate :)

13. macrumors 603

notjustjay

*insert obligatory Samsung reference*

14. macrumors 6502

That Google campus? ****ing mess.

15. macrumors 68000

I knew I'd seen this before! Yeah, they blew this place up after the 96 Olympics in ATL.

[​IMG]

16. JM-Prod, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013

macrumors member

No, it's not.

Almost all our choices are based on some inner personality, this is also true for organisations, and especially in relation to architecture...

17. macrumors 68030

needfx

google could not have a similar campus to apple's; too many lawsuits at hand to add another

18. M-O
    macrumors 6502a

M-O

Apple has style.

19. AlphaHumanus, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013

macrumors 6502

Agreed.

Googles campus looks like *****. I mean its neat and all; I do see the appeal and it would be an awesome thing to visit in person, let alone work there. But it just reminds me of a high school art project, not a serious architectural design.

I guess that why I like apple so much? The cold, calculated design aesthetic, the "pure" vision. Ruthless perfection.

20. macrumors regular

Google´s campus looks like a Disneyworld Resort, not that that is a bad thing. But Apple´s building is beautiful and iconic, just like everything else they make.

21. macrumors member

Not open?

Doesn't the Apple design feature continuous glass around the entire perimeter?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Analyzing architecture like this is akin to phrenology.

22. macrumors 68020

smithrh

Props for the phrenology mention...

23. macrumors 6502

johncrab

I was thinking the word "fragmented" also.

24. macrumors 65816

SockRolid

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste."
    - Steve Jobs, 1995

This is also Google's problem.

You're either born with an aesthetic sense or you're not.
    Sorry Google. You weren't.

25. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Architecture has been an important part of human culture for millennia. So yes, you can analyze it.