Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
What application do I use to Copy a DVD onto my Hard Drive so I can watch it with out the DVD, I did have such an application and one that would allow you to burn it onto another DVD, but since my Hard Drive died I don't know what it is... And I have tried to just simply copy to the hard drive so please don't suggest :eek: :D :p

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Does Disk Utility no longer work for this? (To avoid the hassle of a download) I know you need Handbrake for shrinking to DVD-R size, but for just getting a DVD onto your computer, will Disk Utility be enough?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Not for most commercial DVDs, as they typically have copy-protection. HandBrake or MacTheRipper can get around this.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well, they serve different purposes. MTR is for doing a direct copy onto your hard drive, whereas HandBrake is for making a compressed copy of a movie.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Nermal said:
Well, they serve different purposes. MTR is for doing a direct copy onto your hard drive, whereas HandBrake is for making a compressed copy of a movie.

Exactly - they each have their place, and in some instances, complement each other quite nicely too, depending what copy protection schemes you might be dealing with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.