What apps are musicians using these days?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Foxglove9, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Since I finally upgraded to a G5, I'd like to dabble in music creation again. I would consider myself a hobbyist when it comes to music, not planning on making money or anything like that. I play keyboards/synths.

I haven't used software since Logic Platinum 4.7 and Pro Tools LE on OS9, along with Recycle. Those were good, though Logic took a bit to learn. Are there other good choices for software these days on OS X?

I do a fair amount of MIDI creation, plus audio editing/manipulation, and definitely need a software sampler (I used to use the EXS24 in Logic). I also own the FM7 plug-in so I'd still like to use that as well. I already have a USB Midi adapter for my synths as well as an external Mackie mixer and the Emagic EMI 2|6 for audio input.

Logic Pro 7 seems a little pricey these days for someone like me to just mess around with. Any opinions/options?

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Why not garageband? It's free and fully capable. You can buy a jam pack or two if you want more instruments.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/
    Logic Express may be the ticket, you can upgrade to Logic Pro later.
    With your experience in Logioc, you may find GarageBand too limiting

4. Foxglove9 thread starter macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

How is Garageband free? On Apples site it says you have to buy the iLife software to get it, unless I'm missing something.

I have a demo of Logic Express I will probably install. Though it is missing the sampler and plug-in capability it's a place to start.

5. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I think he means Garageband, along with the rest of ilife, comes free with new computers.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Ableton Live is what I'm obssesed with....check out the demo.

And Digital Performer 5 just came out...go to the MOTU website.

and Logic is nice (what's up with version 8?? when's it comin??)

And if you like drums, BFD by FXpansion is amazing

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    There's a few. Some people like REASON (like BT), other's like Logic (like NIN). IT's hard to say, the advanced apps I've found are extremely complicated to get into. Worse than learning photoshop.

8. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

ProTools HD setup is what the pros use mostly. I know many of them. But, the downside with that is, the Hardware and Software combined costs heeeeaps.

9. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

I wish ImageLine made FL Studio for the Mac OS. As a new Apple user I had Reason and FL Studio on my PC, but now with Mac OS-X I'm using just Reason.

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Cubase is OK. Just doesn't come with a good plugin/virtual instrument suite. Still, with 3rd party plugins, it's THE BEST for synths and keyboards!

11. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

Yes it does and its worth every penny because I absolutely couldn't work the way I do without it. For someone just trying to make some music I would recommend a Pro Tools LE or Pro Tools M-Powered setup and something like Reason 3.