What Are Free Masons?

Discussion in 'Community' started by applemacdude, Sep 22, 2004.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

2. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

some sort of order that was formed many moons ago. a "club" of some type that many say our nations founding fathers belonged to. i think it ties in with the illuminati somehow or they are one in the same. look at a $1 bill. the pyramid with the eye on top...has to do with free masons and the illuminati. my statements may not be 100% accurate but i've heard hours of talk on the subject (didn't pay attention all the time) from a buddy of mine who is so obsessed with it that he named his band The Illuminati. has the dollar bill pyramid thing on there latest self-produced album.

back to the subject....it is interesting stuff. the members wear rings with their "logo" or whatever on it. anyone here know more about it?

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You should read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Very entertaining book on the Illuminati, and it does mention the Masons in connection with it. Although not entirely factual, I believe it is pretty close.

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

very cool book, but I try to avoid fiction (based in fact) to get truly accurate accounts. A very good read though.

5. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I know a guy who IS a free mason. Shouldn't he really not have told me? I would join, if it was like the place in Eyes Wide Shut ;)

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    check out the simposons episodes the stone cutters hehe

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I couldn't help thinking of a certain 80's Falco song...

"1784, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart becomes a free mason"

Now it makes sense.

8. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I know places like that strangely...Exactly, like that.

9. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

If you told us, our lives may be in danger.... But for women like that, it's a price I'm willing to pay!

10. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I joined the free masons with a bunch of my pals (who were already free masons and i just went along with) about 6 years ago... I havent been back in about 5 years... Its really cool though.. I felt like I needed a decoder ring and the works.. very secretive and secret hand shakes ... the works :p

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Bricklayers who don't have a thing to lay.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah, so since I'm already a 14 vet of a fraternity, there's no need to zip out and try to join the Freemasons?

13. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Don't you have to be nominated or something? I just don't know what they do or anything..Hang out? Drink beer? Hum secret hymns...???

14. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

eh I found the whole thing rather silly and overly exaggeratted.. unless you have nothing to do I suppose there really is no point in joining.. I would much rather have joined The Flinstones "Water Buffelos".. they seemed to go bowl and get drunk a lot :D

15. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

i think it's probably less secretive now than it used to be back in the 1700s and 1800s. there were rumors that they had fortunes stashed and this and that. now it's usually a bunch of old men with dentures.

16. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

roflmao! my grandpa was a free mason, even believed their religion :eek: :rolleyes: . my dad gets offended whenever im watching the simpsons with the stonecutters

17. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

18. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

???????????????????????

19. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

my sick sense of humor or lack of....

20. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

umm...no. they pretty much worship everything lol. my dad just hates it when people make fun of the masons cause his dad was one

21. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

k. how do the masons tie in to the illuminati? i forget that whole thing...

22. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

My Great Grandfather, Grandfather, and Uncle (the last two are still alive) are members. My father was never interested in joining, but was still dragged to a few meetings, but never joined. It is a social event now, with the meetings ran by the 'Masters of The Lodge' and all the other members being called 'brothers'.

There was a Simpsons episode doing a parody of the Free Masons, in the Simpsons being called 'Stone Cutters', although not all of the material used in the Simpsons being factual.

My Grandfather has 50 scrapbooks full of Photos and programs of the lodges, dating back to the early 40's. The women have always been seen as the food bringers to the meetings, and that is still the case today. There is a Free Mason Bible, which is rather different from the one today, but unfortunately, it has been years since I saw that. The Blue 'Forget-me-not' which was used during WW2 is now part of the uniform, with a Blue V neck vest, with a blue 'apron' which is worn from the bellybutton to the calves, and blue cuffs, which are worn over a black suit. The meetings are now few, as the member numbers are less than the numbers 30 years ago, but the rituals are still the same, and I fell there is nothing to be ashamed of, being a member of the Free Masons. When my Great Grandfather died, there was the Freemasons sign on the front of his coffin.

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

My grandfather is a Free Mason. I went to one of their meetings or something, to honor my grandfather of something. I didn't remember, nor care at that time.

Oh well, sorry I didn't add anything to the thread.