What are hot corners for?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XP Defector, Oct 9, 2006.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2006
    What do these do? I can't figure them out.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    they are for quickly moving your mouse pointer into a corner with a pre-defined action that you set up in System Prefs. basically instead of triggering Expose with a keyboard command you can do it by moving the pointer into the corner. i love them and can't live without 'em.
  3. NickElls macrumors 6502

May 19, 2005
    You just have to make sure you don't inadvertently move your mouse to the corner without noticing.
  4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    If you look at my Expose preference pane, you can see how I use hot corners. Just move my mouse into the corner to activate the features in the pull down menus.

Attached Files:

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    I find the top ones far more likely to be activted accidentally than the bottom ones, especially on my 14" iBook. I only use bottom left to toggle the desktop. Couldn't live without that one.
  6. tvguru macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Kenora, ON Canada
    I use this all the time on my MBP since I now have the keyboard illumination keys taking up the F9 and F10. I find it faster then the fn plus Fkey.
  7. JDN macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}
    Expose, dashoard and quicksilver are why macs will always be superior to pc's. These functions just make everything natural, my life would be so much more complicated and laborious without them.
  8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

Nov 27, 2003
    No. That's why they are superior NOW. Think about what the future has in store...:)
  9. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Jan 10, 2006
    Roeselare, Belgium
    I've got screensaver on top left, expose (F9) on top right, desktop (F11) on bottom right and dashboard on bottom left, I didn't use hot corners the first few months, but now I couldn't live withouth them
  10. The General macrumors 601

Jul 7, 2006
    Top left is nothing. Top right is desktop, because I usually open the Finder and it's right there. :) Bottom right is Expose, and bottom left is Dashboard. :D
  11. iVersa macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2006
    London, UK
    I dont seem to have any use for the corners. The side buttons on my mightymouse activate 'all windows', the clickwheel button activates 'desktop', dashboard is in the dock and I dont use a screensaver.

I used to use them when I took my laptop out and didnt have a mouse though.

I use command and touch a side of my screen to flip spaces in virtuedesktops though.
  12. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2004
    Denton, TX
    Top left is screensaver, top right is all windows, bottom right is desktop, and bottom left is dashboard. My iBook wouldn't be nearly as usable with out my hot corners turned on.
  13. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    For me top left is all windows, top right is desktop. I figure top right for desktop is good since:

A) Most of the time when I want the desktop it's because I want to look at one of my drives, which all start right near the top right anyway, and...

B) How often am I gonna be trying to pull down the menu for the time, anyway?