What are my choices here

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sabenth, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Hi guys havent posted for a while had a major problem windowzzzzzz... Crashed for the milionth times now using linux for this anyways..

Ive come across a shop in melbourne australia selling i macs the old style no the new one with nice moving screen anyways the going price is $295 for a 800mhz 6 gig hd and a cd drive my question to you guys is can i use mac osx on this thing or is it a complet waste of time buying this bargin bin this would be my first mac ever and as much as id love a power book or a g4 dual system i just dont have the funds to purches such items ..

anyways i am i limited to only having the 6gig HD OR can i upgrade it to a more even say 30 or 40 gig ..

Like i said it would be my first mac ever and well even if i cant get osx on it iam sitll gona buy it because all i do at present is use e mail write the odd letter and modfi family photos oh and code my website ...

Thanks Sabenth

2. alexlai5050 macrumors member

Pretty cheap mate
    800mhz G3 is it if it is get it
    you could get and i mac hd upgrade for qquite chep about $150
    anyway a 800mhz cud run os x easily

3. Sabenth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

thanks alex quick response time..

there wont be a problem with osx jag then 10.2 it only has 64 meg of ram onboard it

dose that make a diffrance

thanks Sabenth

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The last CRT iMacs stopped selling this year, can't remember if it stopped selling at the 600/700 MHz level...

I personally didn't bother to check education store when it was getting killed.

But the last level definitely had larger HDs, so something is weird here.

CRT iMac specs.pdf

2002 Education CRT iMac.pdf (not sure)

6. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

maybe it's just me... but i've got a hunch sabenth might be referring to an emac.

they're like oversized imacs with a marshmellow skin... and they ARE at 800mhz. however, they are not g3...

definetely check. although, it's not foolproof. boot the computer and check Apple System Profiler. If it's a default os9 install still, it should be under the apple button in the top left corner.

good luck

7. Sabenth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Hey guys thanks for the feedback heres the low down on the system its a 17 inch graphite 3 gig 33mhz with 64 sdram for australian $259 ive checked it out its all legal the store in question is selling off old stock because there is no new stock in other words like you guys have said its dead and buried as such . whcih to me dosnt matter i want to change to mac so this gives me a kick in the right direction till i save up enough cash for a new i mac or better still a g4 dual 125 or power book g4

I did have the link here for the store some place here it is www.newwavesystems.com.au
    www.newwavesystems.com.au

that should solve any problems anyone has in understanding what iam looking att

THANKS Sabenth

8. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Did you mean the 233Mhz one? The Beige G3??? the one advertised on the front page?

if so you have been decieved....it is under and iMac, but it is really a G3 powerMac...very old school.

It's not going to run OSX....especially with 64 MB RAM...

9. Sabenth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Scuse me guys i made a right cockup here its a monitor that ive looked at thinking it an i mac all in one box stupied jack ass that i am see i have a lot to learn regarding the mac and its many diffrent versions of systems i know the diffrance between a mac g4 power mac but not the diffrance between a monitor and a i mac pardon me for been an idiot but hell there still some good bargins here at least for me ....

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

not really, i would shop elsewhere those guys are gonna rip you off

11. pcuserx macrumors member

They sell the computers for up to $1,000 more than Apple does. Don't buy anythign from them.

12. Sabenth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Thanks Taz I am getting a bit of a conflict going on here from other users who arent in this forum over this option.... I want somthing old but i dont want to splash out for somthing that i should have bought new if you know what i mean .... ill look futher into this

Thanks Sabenth

13. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

:confused: their prices for new macs are the same or lower than apple australia rrp. they are listed on apple au site as an authorised reseller. don't know how you are going to be done over by this mob. their only fault would be poor website design. their used prices are reasonable. if you do get the 333mhz imac you'll need to put at least another 256mb of ram in it. i put 256mb (total of 320mb) of extra ram into my sisters kids 333 imacs, 10.2 now runs well on them. it all depends on how much you have to spend. when buying anything used.....check it out before you buy it. get them to run anything you are interested in.

14. Sabenth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

748 your point has been taken and i will enquire on what can and cant be run under this thing.. I have a mate who is going with me hes a bit of a mac guru and he says that it all seems legit so i should just take my time and have a look under the bonit this mac is for me to play with till i get the real new beast in the family lol...

Thanks to everyone whose added there commements Ive gota small list of things to ask and do so once again thanks

Sabenth

15. pcuserx macrumors member

I went to apple.au and checked out the priced. Most of the computers are sold for alot more at that reseller. The powerbook 12" basic model costs $800 more than Apple sells it for.

16. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

:confused: apple.au 12" powerbook/867/256/40gb/combo...A$3995. at the reseller 12" powerbook/867/256/40gb/combo...A$3895. can't see an extra $800 there. the reseller is $100 under rrp. the resellers emac with superdrive is $435 under apple.au rrp.

sabenth, 333 imacs go for between $500 and $700 on ebay.au so the price looks reasonable. at the reseller you can at least see it running before you hand over any $$$. if you do get it you'll need more ram. os x wont run on 64mb. good luck.

17. Sabenth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

the way i see it is its cheaper than buying a brand new power mac or brand new i mac 17inch it might not look as great it might not have as much room or ram but at least its a mac and its a step in a direction ive always been afraid to step into.. Here to my days of using mac.....

Sabenth