What are my options for codec support?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Reaktor5, Oct 4, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

So I really like the new Apple TV, but there is no jailbreak yet and thus no additional codec support. So should I wait until there is a jailbreak and go with the new model or try and score a cheap previous gen model on Craigslist? I know the older model can be hacked to support Xvid, Divx, and an external hard drive (which is what I'm after) but I've heard the internal specs are a little weak for HD video decoding. Is the new Apple TV a little more powerful with the A4 or will the difference in specs only be seen with streaming (which is what the new model was designed for)?

2. macrumors 6502a

Streaming over ethernet or wifi wirelessN the performance is 100% superior to the original

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

My internet here at school is ****** to say the least. I have a dedicated hard drive just for my media which has all my movies, tv shows, etc. on it. Whatever device can see that hard drive and content is the one I want, the Apple TV interface just looks better than any other set top box out there right now which is why I want to use it.

4. macrumors 6502

87vert

The old one should be fine with a Broadcom Crystal HD card replacing the internal Wifi. I have one of mine setup and I can decode most 1080p blu-ray mkv's.
    I picked up an additional firstgen :apple:TV on ebay for $70 last week. it was advertised as a 40gb but actually had a 160gb also came with Twilight already loaded LOL.