What are my options on a repair taking 3+ weeks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tsk, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. tsk macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #1
    I hope this is the right forum to post this.

    Anyways, I sent my Mac Book in over 3 weeks back. It had the brown spots (not the reason I sent it back) and the random shutdowns (which looked like they had progressed to the point that I was not going to be able to turn on laptop shortly). When I sent it in, the genius told me a 7-10 day repair turnaround.

    Now, last week 1 day shy of 3 weeks, I called in and spoke to someone (after the obligatory 40 minute wait) who told me it was going to be 2-3 more days. The laptop had finished repair and they were just doing final testing. He said the reason for the delay was that the laptop had been repaired and had the problem pop up again, but now they thought they had it fixed.

    Now 3 days later, I called in and spoke (maybe only after waiting 35 minutes this time) to another individual who told me she didn't know when it would be done. I "pushed" a little further at this point since I'm extremely frustrated and _need_ my laptop back. She told me all she could do was send in a request to expedite my repair. I asked what my options were at this point if they start dragging this out another week or some other crap and she gave me some vague answer like you can do whatever you want sir. I tried to get some more answers from her but all she said after that was that she could only have the repair expedited.

    Can anyone give me some advice here? Do I have any options here to gripe to Apple and get something done?

    Thanks.
     
  2. technicolor macrumors 68000

    technicolor

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2005
    Location:
    ><><><><
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #3
    Yes, I think you have to escalate (be direct about it and ask to speak to a manager). I think the best approach is to be polite but firm and simply say that you are entitled to the use of the computer you paid for, and want a solution which involves a working MacBook in your hands. It isn't reasonable for you to be without a computer for nearly a month -- they should either get it fixed or send you a new one and sell the one they have from you as a refurb later when they fix it. But either way you should have a working computer.
     
  4. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #4
    D'oh. So you're telling me to call back and wait another 30-40 minutes on hold to ask them to speak to someone higher up :(. I think I'll wait till later today to see if this thing is actually shipped or not.
     
  5. lcseds macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2006
    Location:
    NC, USA
    #5
    Well, you did ask for advice. Sorry, but that is the next step.
     
  6. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
    #6
    I would call AppleCare and ask for someone that is at least level 2.
     
  7. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #7
    Update:

    Well, I called back, got a second tier support person. He initially offered me the option of a replacement but strongly suggested I wait for the repair because it would be quicker (5-7 day wait on new). Anyways, finally a day or two later he tells me the repair is done so he's going to return that and he can't give me a new unit anymore and the most he can offer me is a coupon or something.

    Got it back today. Worked for 1 hour, and then I get the screen in the picture.

    Anyways, and advice on what to do now is appreciated.
     

    Attached Files:

  8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #8
    Wow that sucks. I really feel sorry for you with all the trouble you've been through :(
     
  9. saga macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2006
    #9

    You are going to have to call again, and yes, maybe wait for a bit for a rep. Once on the line, I would ask for a supivisor right away. Then simply ask for a replacement, and or reimbursement for troubles and product. I have never done this with apple, though with many other companies. In the end they knwo that you have something defective, and they must honor this. Easier said than done. Every problem on your macbook has a Case number, and every rep has to write notes about their conversation with you. Remind them about the offer for a replacement, and insist that this be done. It's gonna be tough, and frustrating, but they should do something about it.
     
  10. risc macrumors 68030

    risc

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
  11. bluewire macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Location:
    Bay Area, California
    #11
    Its not THAT hard. I had a Wallstreet powerbook problem where the logic board had to replaced twice. The computer was just a lemon. I spoke to someone higher up and they were very cordial, sympathetic, and promptly mailed me a replacement powerbook promptly. It is the only Apple product I have ever had with defect problems.

    I'd recommend being persistant, courteous, and firm...

    Good luck. :)
     
  12. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

    tsk

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2004
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #12
    Update 2:

    Well, they were accomodating. The support person called me back so I didn't have to go through phone hell. After some checking to make sure it wasn't a software issue, he said they'd send some labels to send it back and then send a replacement.
     

Share This Page