Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
i love my imac, but the sound isn't bassy enough for me. how can i add a subwoofer but still use the speakers built in to my intel imac?

i heard isub doesn't work with intel imacs...

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I don't think there is an option to do so, besides the iSub, which you could give a shot given they go for quite low prices on the web such as ebay. I would personally upgrade the overall sound; buy external speakers. Really good ones are as follows: Altec Lansing FX6021, Bose Companion series (choose your pick, fantastic sound from all models), Klipsch ProMedia, Acoustic Energy Aego, and the Logitech Z series. If you were to go with the Logitechs, get anything from the Z-4 and up, anything else is crap. The are are my favoritre, I recommend these the most. They provide really great, extremely natural, accurate sound, while being compact, very well built (I've dropped the sattelites numerous times on from over three feet high onto surfaces of wood, concrete, and carpet, all of which were accidents, except for the carpet :p ; was demonstrating to my friend how solid they were, though carpet wouldn't do much anyways :rolleyes: he got the point :p ), and the Bose still perform like new! In addition, Bose has some of the best customer service from any company. One of the few very respectable, well accomplished companys out there, IMO.

I suggest that you go out and audition all the systems you can, preferebly the ones I listed above, and choose which ever one sounds best to your ears :)

Hope this helps!

Peace

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
without modifying some software i dont believe this is possibly, you would have to use the 1/8th audio out or a usb or other output device for this sub, that would cause your mac to autmoatically think that you wanted to use speakers, the guy above seemed like he knew wat he was talking about it, although i didnt read much of it...my suggestions would be the alec lansings fx6021

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
uk
howdy, here's my tupense worth.

i would suggest you find out what kind of sound you prefer and for what purpose. when using a 2.1 system (such as the soundsticks, bose comp3, jbl creatures etc) you may find heavier almost brash tones of thumping bass, perhaps sometimes being set apart from the medium and high tones from the satelites. this works very well for films and gaming in my opinion where there are loud bangs and gunshots etc.

although sometimes a more pricey system buying two bookshelf speakers and a small amp or reciever can create a more fufilling sound with depth and range. in my opinion bookshelf speakers are warmer particularly in the midtones. check out teac, yamaha or denon systems. and for speakers id suggest monitor audio, keff, tannoy, or denon.

pm if you'd like anymore advice. but dont bother telling me im useless and wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.