What are pb essentials?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sikkinixx, Jul 14, 2005.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    I go get my 12" pb today (yay! i can sleep tonight) but i dont know what i need to have since i have never had a laptop before. I have an old corded mouse and crappy keyboard that i can use as an external for a little while, but what cables/adaptors are good to have with an powerbook? I know i need a case but there are so freakin many i cant pick one! Any advice would be very appeciated!
  2. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Mar 16, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Apart from a good case, imo, theres not much more you need :)

And, if you look at the top of this very forum you'll see a thread called Looking for a carrying case / sleeves? Look in here!, theres also a few other scattered around, a quick search should turn up lots of advice :)
  3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

Jan 25, 2005
    Cleaning products are nice too.. i hear iKlear are good.
  4. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    iv'e looked at that post and a ton of the sites listed, thats what i mean about there being a million bloody things to choose from! :D
  5. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Mar 16, 2005
    Oxfordshire, UK
    ok, well, decide what you want from the case, what kind of compartments do your want, rigid of soft, shoulder bag or backpack etc.

It's really not hard to whittle it down :)
  6. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Very true! There are so many bags and it's all down to personal taste... also depends how often you're going to be carrying it around and what else you might throw into the bag. I would recommend a Tucano second skin, which is a neoprene sleeve and will provide extra protection, whichever bag you decide on.

Apart from that you don't really need anything else. I'm also using an iSkin keyboard protector. It doesn't look very pretty but as my PB is new I'm trying to keep it as clean and dust free as possible!
  7. Steadmuffin macrumors member

Jul 10, 2005
    Get a USB number pad if you're going to be doing a lot of number work.
  8. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    on cases, you should search the forums there are tons and tons of threads on that topic.

i think other essentials would depend on what you do i.e. graphics artist, programmer, etc

WAP/bastation would be nice. a laptop stand/podium is also good to have (PB gets hot). ikear and a travel ethernet cord (the kind of that rolls up).
  9. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    thanks everyone! I was thinking one of those ilap things byt Rain design after reading a guys review about it on here and i think bag wise i am going to go with the Maccase that have the sleave and the bag. i'll just surf the forums till the store opens!
  10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    I second the iKlear recommendation.

I got the Podium Pad from Roadtools. It makes typing a lot more comfortable when I'm at home and it is portable too.

A Shinza case is what I got to protect my 12" PB. I like it fine and just stuff it in my regular backpack which works, but, it slides around a lot so I think I'll get a computer backpack with a special pocket eventually one with pockets for cables, iPod etc. The best thing to do is take your computer with you and see how it fits, how it feels when you carry it, etc.

I haven't yet gotten a mouse. The two finger scrolling feature works great, try it before you upgrade.

Hmmm, can't think of anything else unless you have an older Mac that you're going to transfer your new files to, then you'll need a firewire cable unless the older Mac has an airport card.

Good luck, enjoy!
  11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    For me, it's a Tucano SecondSkin sleeve and a Bluetooth Mouse. It really is nice to have a portable mouse.
  12. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
  13. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    well those jerks at the university lied to mea nd they dont have an 12" w/ superdrives, they havent in months! but they do have lots of 12" combo drives and since i raised holy hell over the phone the dude said he would give me some added software for them lying about having 12" sd's in stock. So now i wonder if i should take the combo drive, use the 150 bucks i save and buy a big external harddrive on the side? can i upgrade the harddrive in my powerbook? or is that it? Can i add a superdrive in later if i really need one?
  14. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    That really stinks! I hate when I get disappointed like that!
    Can't you order Edu online?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  15. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    When I get my PB I plan on getting the following items.

iKlear cleaner

Radtech Notebook ScreensavRz

APC Notebook Surge Protector
    Surge protection is very important

Possibly Logitech MX 310 mouse

And of Course Office 2004 Professinal w/Virtual PC 7 for $63 from Wayne State University (my school).
  16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    You can't upgrade the internal without voiding warranty unless Apple does it. Same with superdrive. I'd get an external one, IMO. Faster and you don't sacrifice CD read/write speeds. Plus you now have dual drives...
  17. a.k.a. Melvin macrumors newbie

May 16, 2005
    Studio City, CA
    Case and buying your PB

As far as cases go... The most awesome thing I ever did was to buy a messenger bag and computer sleeve from Timbuk2. The bags are super cool - you can design your own colors, there are many options for the bags, many sizes, many colors and cool accessories like a cell phone pouch and maybe they have iPod accessories now too. It's a little more "hip" than getting some kind of attache case imo. (I'm not knocking attache cases, but the messenger bag has pockets and the like and more versatile than most computer cases.)

As far as buying your PB goes... Who buys a computer in a store? Especially a laptop? If you want exactly what you want you have to order it. So what if it takes two weeks to get the thing? Anyway, why don't you wait a few weeks for the updated PB? When the updates come out, I'm buying a current model when they slash the prices.

18. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    well it turns out that after i went there they DID have the 12" with a superdrive so their lie negated a lie! so now i have my new baby and im going to get a new bag etc on saturday! I used it tonight at class to take notes and my god it rules!!! I have one semi dead pixel... is about 2 inches down and two inches in from the top right corner. Sometimes it is always red and sometimes it works fine.... it seems to go back and forth when i turn it on and off so i dunno exactly what is going on but the powerbook still kicks !
  19. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    take your finger where that damn pixel is and kind of massage it and put pressure (not to much, gentle now) and rub it out, and it'll most likely get it out ---- erasers work great too

just thought i'd throw that in ;)
  20. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    thanks! ill give it a try next time it screws up on me. Here's a quicky, speaking of essentials i heard of this program on a mac board *dunno if it was this one* that will better calibrate your pb screen so you can adjust it to your liking. I searched all over and could only find onyx whihc isnt really a screen program. Anyone know what i mean?
  21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    > What are pb essentials?
    Jam, Jelly, Honey, Bananas.

Non-essentials but nice-to-haves:
    Nutella, Seville Orange Marmalade, Raisins, Sunflower seeds

Not recommended:
  22. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
  23. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2005
    It's not 100% essential but has been a wise investment for me and that was getting an Aiport Express. Not having to have cables coming out of the machine is wonderful! Otherwise I'd have Ethernet, Printer and Audio cables to Stereo for iTunes. Now nothing!
  24. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I got my first mac - a PB at the start of the year and this is what I have bought:
    - Crumpler School Hymn case. Great review (with pics) here
    - STM Medium Loft bag. My review (with pics) here )
    - Apple Bluetooth mouse
    - Microsoft Office 2004 for mac
    - 250MB JetFlash USB flash drive
    - USB fan: I use it too cool my PB down. Stole idea from aussie_geek here
    - Wireless router from D-Link. If I was you I would buy Apple's airport express/extreme. Better than D-Link. Its worth the extra money. Surfing the net wirelessly is awesome.

What I need to get:
    - iKlear
    - iLap: at the moment I prop PB up on two books. Great review (with pics) by Gordy here.
    - SuperDuper registration. Great backup software.
    - Tiger
    - extra powerbrick
  25. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    get A case, i'd advise a hard one if u can find....i wish i had one i keep dropping mine :(

even though i don't have one, get something like an icurve if ur at a desk a lot

airport express is always a good idea

A MOUSE for those of us that can't STAND a trackpad

iklear of course

a rele cool battery widget...theres a couple out there lol