What are pre OS's based on?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sethypoo, Nov 27, 2003.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Hey all, what are OS's 9, 8, 7, 6 and so on based on? I know OS X is based on Unix and the Darwin kernel, but what made previous OS's so unstable?

I'd like to know specifics, as in kernels and base systems (DOS, *nix).

2. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Also, was there ever an OS 1 or 2?

What's the big deal with kernels?
  3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    MacOS 1-9 were all based on the Macintosh kernel. The problem was that the kernel was growing unstable since it had been being built upon since System 1 and was not capable of being altered very much.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Basically is it built upon QuickDraw, one of the Key components that made the GUI possible and was carried over from the Lisa Project to create the foundation for the Mac Toolbox.
  5. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    The original Macintosh OS was basically a unique piece of software, not based on any pre-existing OS (non apple-os).

It was an absolutely amazing hack, that took a lot of fine-tuned assembly and interesting wiring to squeeze out capabilities (like segmented memory) that were not supported in hardware on the 68K processor.

I am still in awe of what the apple engineers managed to pull off with what they were given to work with at the time.

Of course when those hacks no longer became necessary because of hardware support, they actually became a liability to work around.

Also (people can correct if I'm wrong), I believe that even as of OS9 portions of the OS were still written for the 680x0 series and being run on PPC hardware through an emulation layer.

[edit for grammar]