What are Rar files and help me please

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sexylaura, Mar 24, 2005.

1. sexylaura macrumors newbie

I am new to apple macs, and lets say it, yes i am a girl! i am trying to download a movie from a website, and its a rar file. now when i click on it it takes me to another page with lots of letters and numbers and funny shapes and stuff. what do i do? that kinda freezes me computer as there seems to be so so so much info. i have downloaded UnRarx, but it still happens whenever i click on a rar file, goes to that page that lists all the numbers etc....i am using safari does that make a difference?
    please can someone help me

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Try Control-Clicking on the links and select "download linked file as" You can save it to your computer, then try opening from your computer not the webpage.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

to download that file just Control+click or right click depending on your mouse and save file as... then just pick where you want the file to save to and it should work, i believe stuffit, which comes on all macs should be able to open the file, or just use that program you downloaded

4. sexylaura thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx guys

thanx guys, but still not got it to work lol, im so crap sorry...so i controlled and cliked on it and did the download file as...and saved it and i put in a name then put .rar as the file type, did i need to do that cuz it hasnt work and when i try to open in it says this...cannot find volume...crc failed. shud i just save it as the name it comes up with? sorry sorry sorrry

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you shouldnt have to add the .rar yourself, just delete it from the file name and see if that opens it up for you

6. sexylaura thread starter macrumors newbie

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

cool, glad to see it worked out, and of course if you ever have any other questions just ask us! thats what we are here for! :p