What are rare mac things?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by applemacdude, May 7, 2003.

1. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

What are rare mac things? Anything, maybe some of us have some of theses items

2. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Do you mean computers or logo-branded stuff?

As computers go, the TAM (20th Ann. Mac) is among the most collectable Macs. Also, intact eMates and high quality MP2100s.

Older Macs aren't always easy to find in working order (depending on model), but they're generally incredibly cheap over eBay. So, as impressive as it is that my Mac Classic II still works like it did when it was first made (nearly 11 years ago), I wouldn't make a fortune selling it.

"Stuff" is a different story. http://www.redlightrunner.com has all sorts of good stuff, including a section just for the harder-to-find items.

3. macrumors 68000

5300cs

There are many rare Apple things..

In terms of machines, an Apple I or a Lisa I with the original Twiggy drive(s?) is about as rare as your going to get. Those are the two rarest machines that I'm aware of. They were made in limited numbers and are highly sought out by collectors (like me;) )

In terms of items with Apple logos, there are many, many rare items. For example, I have an Apple business card holder which I think is rare. I have the fountain pen that I posted info on in another post- that's very rare from what I can tell. A lot of the things on redlightrunner.com under 'rareties' are very rare and hard to find.

Generally, machines that had a limited run will be rare, and merchandise that also had a limited run, or were internal gifts, or that were special offers, will be rare.

4. macrumors newbie

Although I know that the 15 iMac G4 is neither rare nor old, mine has a screen printing error from the factory.

The icons over the rear ports have all been moved around to the right by about 2". Hence the FireWire icon sits over the ethernet port etc.

Do you think this increases the resale value of the unit at all? (looking forward to 970 based iMac).

5. macrumors 65816

melchior

TAM's are pretty easy to come by, though they are a touch pricy. i would put them in the same boat as g4 cubes.

the run was big enough that the people who want one can find one. it is the much older mac's like the lisa that are truly rare.

6. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

This isn't like some baseball card or beanie baby that there were only 10 made with the defect that makes them more valuable. If anything at all, I'd say it *lowers* the resale value.

7. thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

well apple branded

8. macrumors 65816

melchior

who here would buy, collect & trade apple cards? what about D&D style game? yeah, sounds good to me =)

9. macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Do you mean like Apple Trading Cards or Combat/Top Trump style cards.

Steve Jobs:
    Style 10
    Temper 10
    Patience 10
    Wealth 10
    Credability 10

The UNBEATABLE card!

10. thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

lol:)

11. macrumors 6502

So would a copy of Alice copyright 1984 Apple be rare?

Its a mac game played on a chessboard.

heh I am sure the LCD screen for a IIc ala 2010 I had on loan would be rare but that went back to apple decades ago.

12. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

When I was in second grade, my aunt sent me a t-shirt for Christmas that had a picture of Apple's second mouse (it was boxy, but it didn't have a protruding button--it wasn't the one from the Mac Plus, etc.) and it said "Move over, Mickey." I didn't have a computer at that time, but I knew what a mouse was. I just thought it was funny...

Now I wish I still had it.

I also had (maybe still do) a 14" monitor that had the defect where the red color gun failed when the temperature got too high. Along with the Mac II (the first color Mac). I fondly remember its final burial:

Me (unloading a trailer full of garbage at the landfill): "Hey dad! How far do you think I can chuck this thing!"

Memories...

13. macrumors newbie

Mac TV

anyone? anyone? Bueller?

14. macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Mac TV

totally. i know a few mactv owners. the mice fetch a MINT on ebay still...

15. macrumors 6502

NNO-Stephen

that Think Different "To the crazy ones" poster... 300 bucks at the missing bite. whew.

16. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

An acquaintance of mine just gave me a tour of his Mac collection. He's got 76 Macs, including one of almost every model of Mac, Power Mac, and PowerBook made until recently. He's got a Lisa and a "special edition" IIGS with Woz's signature on it. I assume that those are pretty rare.

He told me he's only looking for two models: the Color Classic and the TAM. Are they both pretty rare?

17. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Damn...how does he have the room for 76 computers?

18. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Only a few of these 76 Macs are up and running on his work desk at any given time. He has the rest on shelves in his garage-sized workshop. The PowerBooks are organized into boxes when not in use so you can pull out the model you want.

(At my own house, meanwhile, I don't purposely collect Macs at all, but they seem to collect by themselves. It's simply that my old Macs are like friends and are hard to part with when I get a new model.)

19. macrumors 6502a

Vector

the rarest things that i can think of are the apple tv set top box, power cd, the walt, their online service program, and pippen.

here is a site on the walt http://www.cromaa.com/walt/

there are also clear newtons every once and a while on ebay; some of them are real and made that way by apple and some are molded cases made by people so they would look rare.

I guess an original apple with a wooden case would also be worth a good bit but i have never seen one for sale, and the only ones i know of are in museums.

20. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I never heard of WALT. Great name - Wizzy Active Lifestyle Telephone!

I have two working eMate 300s. I wonder how soon I can sell them and retire on the profits.

21. macrumors 6502a

Vector

I have 1 emate 300 in perfect condition (battery and case), but what i really want is one of the multicolored emates. Apple made a few multicolored ones including pink, purple and orange in addition to the mass produced blue-green.

here is a picture of a few at the product release event

now who can identify these two people?

Attached Files:

22. macrumors regular

Hmmm.

Some guy in a suit and Micheal Bolton??

There's a green one of those at my work.

I don't think it goes though.

23. macrumors regular

If I were to take a guess, the person on the right could be Gil Amelio, CEO.

24. macrumors member

Re: Mac TV

I remember that thing we gave it to goodwill a few years back but i still have the little remote. the mac TV was my first mac.

25. macrumors newbie

i have the think different educator set
    and i have a old performa 6290 and my uncle has the old mac where its a small black and white (about 4 or more inches) screen built into the cpu