What are some cool places to eat where you live?

Discussion in 'Community' started by craigdawg, Feb 28, 2005.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I like to eat out, especially when I'm travelling. So as a public service and because I'm presently hungry and thinking about eating, I say we share some of our hometown favorites.

What I'm hoping to discover are some of the places you'd personally want to take someone visiting from out of town, a food item or experience they can only have in your 'hood.

Let's limit it to three categories:

1. Burger (or similar sandwichy item) - no chains please
    2. Wildcard - anything, your hometown specialty perhaps or something unique
    3. Fine dining - a bit subjective but usually there's at least one outstanding establishment in your town

Okay I'll go first:

Sactown, CA

1. Burger - Nationwide Freezer Meats - 1930 "H" Street, Sacramento. Sort of a local favorite.

2. Wildcard - Mikuni Sushi - three locations downtown Sac, Fair Oaks, and Roseville. A "fusiony" sushi bar known for some creative maki. If you go on your birthday you can spin the prize wheel and win something.

3. Fine dining - Biba - 2801 Capitol Avenue, Sac. Biba Caggiano is a very well-regarded Italian chef and her restaurant is absolutely wonderful.

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

East of Round Rock and North East of Pflugerville (Austin Area)

Burger - Oldtimes...burger joint near my house that makes awesome hamburgers

Wildcard - Cele Store...close to my house, they make kick ass BBQ. (Cele was featured in Secondhand Lions, the scene where they eat BBQ)

Fine Dining - I don't really know of any fine dining eateries around here as I am still a teen

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Tricky to limit to 3 given the thousands of eating places in London but here are my favourites in those areas (excluding my favourite sushi, pizza, Brazilian, Belgian...which one to put as the wildcard!)

1 Burger - The Hamburger Union , Dean St

2 Wildcard - BBQ - There's not enough of it in London. Bodeans BBQ on Poland St does wonderful ribs (baby back, pork and beef) and shrimp.
    2a Wildcard - local. It's an experience rather than a restaurant. Wandering around the Borough Market is a culinary wonderland. It has the most wonderful fresh ingredients and some of their lunchtime 'snacks' smell so flavorsome, they almost fill you up without eating them.

3 Fine Dining - J Sheekey's between Charing Cross Road and St Martin's Lane. Wonderful seafood; their fish pie is delicious. And they have a tailcoated doorman who will hail you a cab and walk you to the main road with an umbrella if it's raining.

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I was just in Sacramento a few weeks ago, I ate at UpperCrust Pizza on K street I believe, that was pretty good. I also ate at a VERY good Deli that was across the street from the Sheratinn (not sure on the spelling, its the hotel down the street from the hyatt). That was REALLY good, they stack teh meat on.

Anyways, here are a few for my city

Burgers - Johns (Hwy 111), really good big burgers

Wildcard - Capris (in DHS). Awesome steak, pasta, and seafood. Not that expensive. My friends grandpa owns it. Good pizza too!

Fine Dining - Sullivans Steakhouse. Best steaks, best salads, best onion rings, etc. Really good.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

1. Burger - Fuddruckers Bestgate Road, Annapolis, MD

2. Wildcard - Joss Cafe and Sushi Bar Main Street, Annapolis, MD - Best sushi I have had anywhere on the planet. And I've eaten it everywhere, including Japan.

3. Fine dining - Lewnes 4th Street, Eastport, MD

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

They are a chain, BTW. Is one here in San Diego. Good food, though.

7. ProjektJ macrumors member

This question is torture...
    East Village, NYC
    Burgers:Blue 9 Burger
    Wild Card: Sapporo East
    Fancy: Chanterelle, or March

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Bloomington, IN (home of Indiana University)

1. Jankos Little Zagrebs (steak....best I've ever had)

2. Shanti's (Indian Cuisine)

3. Grazie (Italian)

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, Charlotte:

Burgers: Matt's Chicago Dog. Obviously the dogs are their specialty but they also have great burgers. Fries are amazing.

Wild card: Gotta be the barbecue. If you've never had Carolina pork barbecue, it's different from the more "standard" Texas stuff. You order a "tray," a little paper boat with cole slaw and shredded pork. Then smother with your choice of BBQ sauce. Make sure your order comes with plenty of hushpuppies. The best place is in Mooresville about 20 miles north of Charlotte: Lancaster's. Great stock car racing memorabilia there as well (not to mention most of the racing teams eat there, so you're apt to spot someone famous. Not that I would know who the famous drivers are, or anything. I really should go to a race one of these days.)

Fancy: LaTorre's (Miami-style fusion cuisine). No too fancy, but incredible food!

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, I know, but there is no other place in town to get a decent burger....the chain was acually started by some ex-Naval Academy grads I heard.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmmm.... ok lets see.

Burgers - AG's Villiage Grill. Great burgers, and cheap. All the HS kids flock there after school and on weekends.

Wild Card - As a huge sushi fan, I'd love to put one of those here, but I don't think any of the local places quite rise to that 'cut above' level I'm looking for. Not that there isn't good sushi here, it's just not world class. However, I will recommend a bakery in the wild card spot. It's called Hush Harbor and it's right near my work so I eat lunch there pretty often. They make their own bread artisan-style and it is easily some of the best bread I've ever had. Their chef makes wonderful salads and sandwiches for lunch, and you can always stop by in the morning and get a cinnamon roll or a scone that will make most places offerings taste like cardboard. It's not often you find a place where the guy rolls his own puff pastry every day (and if you get a chance to watch someone perform this task, it is quite impressive.) Anyway, anyone who happens to find themselves in the Atascadero area ought to make a stop there. The other wild card I'd offer is the local Cajun joint. Fantastic chef in a little hole-in-the-wall kind of place that only the locals know about. For $15 you can get 3 filet mignon medallions with a jumbo shrimp on each topped with hollandaise, and served with the best collard greens I've had, fried green tomatoes, and cornbread. And when you're done you can browse through their collection of hot sauces for sale.

Fine Dining - So many choices in this catagory. Seeing as how I'm in cowtown, I think I'll go with one of the local steakhouses. AJ Spurs and to a slightly lesser extent F. McClintocks are both top notch places with some of the best meat available. A nod also goes to a place called McPhee's in Templeton for their oak-grilled venison tenderloin. Yum Yum. There are also so many good seafood restaurants I can't begin to get into. Sufficed to say that Dorn's in Morro Bay is one of my favs.

K, I'm hungry now!

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

1. I'll second the Fuddruckers nomination... I haven't been to the one on Bestgate Road (my Dad lives in Annapolis), but the ones here in Charlotte are really good. I-77 Exit 25 and North Tryon Street near UNC-Charlotte are both good.

2. Firebirds Rocky Mountain Steakhouse, Stonecrest Shopping Center, south Charlotte (Rea Road exit off I-485). Really good steak, fried calamari, bread, and lobster spinach queso.

3. Morton's Steakhouse. Pretty much all Morton's locations are identically good. We have two in Charlotte... West Trade Street (1/4 mile from where I live) and at Southpark Mall.

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hmm...fuddrucker's definitely makes the best burger in town, but as far as non-chain, i'd have to say it was little hip's before they closed. giant burgers, like 4 people could share one big, and some incredible onion rings. but now it's probably lucky burger (w00t! right down the street from my house and run by a friend's parents) or chris madrid's. much better burgers than lucky burger but kinda far from my house so i dont go there often. they're incredible greasy and they have great nachos too.

for wildcard: earl abel's is an institution definitely. it's a coffeeshop type place with out of this world fried chicken and they've been there quite awhile. of course if you're in san antonio you have to eat mexican food, but stay away from el mercado. it's expensive and not so great. there's a local chain called las palapas that's pretty good, and it's cheap and quick with great tacos, but the best is guajillo's. it's not just enchiladas and stuff; they also have stuff you wouldn't expect like great soup. carmen's is good for pizza, but not eat-in. they just do delivery and carry-out, but the crust is really good and it's cheap like pizza should be :D im not much of a barbecue person even though san antonio has a lot of it. it's texas barbecue with lots of beef, especially brisket. im quite a fan of chinese food and i like chin san but that's way the hell away from everything and it's the kind that you know is bad and ultra-americanized but you just have to have sometimes :p my dad's a great chinese cook so i usually eat chinese at home.

water street is sort of an upscaley-type seafood restaurant. not exactly what you'd call "fine dining" though. no reservation needed and you wouldn't feel out of place there in a t-shirt. great seafood and gumbo :p it's not quite a chain but there's 1 in san antonio and one in corpus christi (coastal city ~150 mi south on interstate 37) surprisingly the food's better in san antonio.

im not much of a fine dining person so ill leave that alone.

i'd better stop listing stuff i'm making myself hungry :D
    in short, san antonio has great food

14. shane1 macrumors member

Windsor/Detroit

Burger: Sorry y'all, it's Fuddrucker's here too... great burgers, every city you find them. But in Windsor, a bar called Feelgood's 5 minutes south of the bridge makes a damn fine mashed cow sando too.

Wildcard: If you like tasty Thai that scars your ringpiece, Basil Court in downtown Windsor is the goods. You'll crap thermite, but it's worth it. I like to tear into the pub food at the Kildare House 5 minutes east of downtown as well. Hit the fish and chips, get some curry sauce for your fries, and wash it down with a few pints of Fullers ESB. Get yourself somewhere comfortable soon after, because you're not going anywhere for a while...

Fine dining: Beats me, if I want to eat really well, I make it myself.. I's po'

15. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

In Appleton, Wisconsin...
    Burgers-Good Company on College Ave.
    Wildcard-Stuc's Pizza. Really good Itallian foods.
    Fine Dining-It's a tie between the Lombardi Steakhouse and Black and Tan. Both are really good places.

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

There are a few good restaurants in Denver...

Burger - the local chain, Good Times, uses local Coleman beef with no added chemicals, and they also have an array of good chicken sandwiches. I particularly recommend the Big Daddy Bacon Cheeseburger. BTW, I don't eat at any other fast-food chains except Chipotle, because I am a fast-food snob, so take that as you will.

Wild Card - There's a hookah bar called Marakesh Cafe on Colorado Blvd and Evans that makes great Middle Eastern Cuisine, though the Baklavah is better down Evans near University at Jerusalems. I'll also mention Fat Jack's, which makes sub sandwiches on Evans and I-25. Beats Subway hands down. One more: Golden Shanghai on Parker and Florida makes great Chinese.

Fancy - I found a little Italian place down on Havana and Iliff called Viaggio that I enjoy. There's also an Italian place on Leetsdale and Market dowtown called Bocca di Beppo(sp?) that has great atmosphere and excellent food.

As always, when I go to a new town, I look in their local free, ad-supported paper, the ones sitting right next to the major labels on the street corner. In Denver we have the Westword, and I know Dallas has the Observer. Great resources for finding local dining, music, bars, etc.

Happy dining!

18. iGary Guest

iGary

I live right down the street. :D

19. Vster macrumors 6502

Austin, TX

Burger- Boat House Grill

Wildcard- Reale's, what can I say? I'm originaly from NY and this is the closest thing to New York style Pizza baby!

Fine Dining- Bellagio

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I go to a place that essentially fits all of your categories IMHO. Its at the Chestnut Hill Mall, on the first floor, very near the Apple Store. Charley's, we have gotten to know the hostess on Sunday. So we usually get a good seat. We also belong to their club, for every $300.00 that we spend they send us a $20.00 coupon. A reward for loyalty.

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If you wanna weird someone out, go to the Annapolis Marine Art Gallery at the dock, talk to Jeff Schaub (the owner), and tell him that Clay Johanson (the younger, not the elder) said hi. :) They have some pretty cool stuff there, including works by Willard Bond.

22. dotnina macrumors 6502a

"The OC," CA

Burgers
    Paul's Place ... most amazing hamburger ever. I don't know anyone who has ever been disappointed in their hamburger. They have about three places now, all in "The OC"

Wildcard
    I can't think of one. Perhaps BJ's Brewery, which has actually expanded to Oregon and Arizona now, I believe. Their pizzas are unparalled.

Fine Dining
    Villa Nova in Newport Beach ... very classy, pianos, overlooks the harbor. They have terrific deserts as well.

23. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Burger –
    Greektown, for lamb chops
    Fine Dining -

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Triumph Cafe, Austin TX.

Great vermicelli, amazing fried rice, and free WiFi... What more could you ask for?

scem0

25. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

On long Island NY:
    Burger - smoken Al's -great ribs, burgers etc
    wildcard- Emilo's - In commack - great italian food,
    fancy - i have few
    PG steak house -dix hills - good food, small, great service
    Pace's - smithtown - another steakhouse, more upscale more ritzy but good food, good service and nice a selction of coctails ;)
    Morton's -its a chain but its dam good