What are some good, free online games for the mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, Aug 1, 2004.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Are there any? I've been lookin' around for sumthin' but can't find anythin'. I'm lookin for sumthin' to eat up my time. somethin' that involves leveling up and stuff, kinda like Gunbound (doesn't work for mac). But it doens't have to be a certain genre I'll play anythin' as long as it's fun and rewarding. throw in your opinions about free and paying games. The only thing I don't want is paying a monthly fee for playing online, is this askin' for too much?

2. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

For leveling up etc I would go with the Avernum series by spiderweb software. They're shareware, so you'll have to pay eventually, but they have wuite a bit of the game open to play without needing to pay for it. As for just killing time, I recently downloaded neverball which is pretty fun and kills a lot of time. Don't play with a trackpad though.. it depends on being able to control the mouse

3. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

One site:

Galaxis

This game is awesome, all web based and meets the criteria you requested.

:D

4. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

The best i have played for the mac is diablo 2. Sure its old but the game still kicks ass. I started playing again and think this is probably your best bet until World of Warcraft comes out. Check out www.blizzard.com for info on both games. Hope this helps.

5. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Give Americas Army a try. Its a online FPS put out by the army. As for the leveling up you wanted there is an "honor" system where the more objectives you complete and the more enemies you kill the higher it goes.

6. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Free point and click games

If you like old-school adventure games then you can have several for free by visiting the Scumm VM site.

http://www.scummvm.org/

ScummVM is a program that runs the old Lucasarts and Sierra point and click adventure games. I am currently playing Beneath A Steel Sky which is a free download from the Scumm VM site.

It is all legal too. The games that are featured on the site were given by the companies that made them.

7. TheGimp macrumors 6502

The Spearhead demo on macgamefiles. It only has two maps, but I could play Malta all day (almost).

8. SonicMac macrumors newbie

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yay, Snood.

Deceptively simple but strangely addictive.

10. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Man, I want Dr. Brain...

11. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

quake3, but theres no leveling up and no rewards, cept if kill everyone and own everyone in the quake3 room, its pretty rewarding, ive had my fair share of owning some good players myself online, the only reward you get is getting better and not being at the bottom with the lowest score all the time...QUAKE 3 PWNS YOU! :p

12. panio macrumors newbie

I don't have Classic, only 10.3. Can I still play Diablo (I & II)?

13. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

You can download the OSX installer from blizzard for Diablo2.... not sure about the first one though.

14. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Just started downloading Americas Army, but its about 700 MB :eek: !

Hope it runs well on a mac..

15. brap macrumors 68000

Runs slow as molasses on my 12" PB. You should manage a playabe framerate -- just. It ain't a patch on BF1942 or Call of Duty.

It'd be a decent game, if I didn't have to gag every time it mentioned 'honor' (sic), and fighting for freedom. Makes me want to stand up... tears in my eyes... and salute the flag... GOD BLESS AMERICA!

16. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I think a lot of it depends on the map that you choose. Its been my experience that the Special Forces maps run the slowest(<10fps) so I try not to play them. I get decent framerates on my 1Ghz iMac 512 MB Ram usually around 23 fps. I know thats not great but its a free game

17. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

thats also kind of the point of the game, the army doesnt make agame for the hell of it its a recruiting tool. Your at stage 1 of the desired affect next youll go running down to your nearest recruiting office. :D

18. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

If you look you can see some propaganda
    [​IMG] call the phone number if you want
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I forgot to take a screen shot of the Soldier's Creed that is show at the beginning of the game and every time you load a map. ;)

19. brap macrumors 68000

No s**t... I just find it both repulsive and highly amusing that the U.S. Army (and government) want to tempt you into service because they give you a video game. Which purports itself as reminiscent of the real thing.

Anyway, thread hijacks aside... Get Armagetron instead!

20. KevCo macrumors newbie

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Looks stupid.

So I signed up. ;)

22. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Thanks for the reccomendation. It's a poor Mans "Super Monkey Ball"!

23. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

Thank god you're not in marketing...

There are numerous tactics that aren't direct sales pitches and the Army has chosen to use them. Name recognition and increasing the 'hip' level of an organization/brand within a target market has been shown to be a effective marketing tool. Frankly, it's probably as realistic as it gets unless you happen to like dying in reality or waiting a few years for a VR simulation that stimulates all sensory inputs...

24. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

25. chevyorange macrumors member

chevyorange

Warbirds III is a WWII flight sim that you can play offline or online. Software and offline playing is free - playing online does cost money... but I think it is worth it just to have to fly on the Mac.

http://www.totalsims.com/index.php

Much fun.

Adam