What are some of your childhood fantasies (keep it clean, please, thanks so much!)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lacero, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

When I was little, I wanted so badly to be abducted by aliens and taken to their home planet. The thought fascinated me to the point I would go to bed each night dreaming about it.

Do you think I'm weird for thinking such fantasy thoughts?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I was in love with Vanna White forever. Every time Wheel of Fortune would come on i would watch it no matter what else was going on around me.

It was when i was between like 3-6 Watched it all the time

so obviously my childhood fantasy was to be on wheel of fortune

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Normal boy stuff...astronaut, football player, musician.

I guess the thing that sticks out most is my love of the ocean and her creatures. Lots of games and fantasies with stuffed animals - sharks, dolphins. Never seen a whale and that's a life goal.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think a lot of us just think you're weird anyway. :p

My childhood fantasy: Growing up to become a world-renowned architect whose modern buildings would dot the landscape.

When that fantasy ended: After taking 4 years of drafting in high school and drawing countless buildings before that, finding out that you can't get into a design school UNLESS you can draw things freehand. I cannot draw a tree, or a person's face, or anything else... but give me a straightedge, a scale, and a compass and I can draw almost anything.

5. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

My childhood fantasy involved living in Chicago. And I do :D , though I didn't then.

6. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

What I used to dream as a kid was having my own Giant Robot, sort of like Gigantor or the robot Johnny Sako had. I would daydream about taking it to school and showing it off (and maybe squashing a few bullies with it). I'm still waiting!

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Having a house with the following rooms:

One filled entirely with legos, hundreds of thousands of 'em.

One that was a ball pit, like at McDonald's, a giant ball pit.

Being able to get to anywhere in the house by secret passages, like Webster's house or the one built by the owners of Sierra Software in the mountains.

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Mines my parents getting back together. I cried and dreamt about it all the time. They split 6 years ago. All is well now. They are both happy and I'm happy <I think -hard to tell>.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Ooh, that's good!

Hmm, fantasy... fantasy... That I'd become a jockey (as in, riding race horses), own horses. That I could travel the world in the utmost style (also includes shopping like crazy); nothing but first class, VIP treatment, five stars+. :eek: Still dream of that one, really.

10. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

I became a man watching Wilma Deering on Buck Rogers in that skint tight spandex suit.......

Before that, first interest was Julie from The Love Boat....

:D :D :D

11. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Mine's kind of weird but...

I always wanted to have one of my hands to get cut off and be replaced with a claw (like some Vietnam Vets I had seen). I would even dream up ways to do it; the paper cutter in my 1st grade classroom being the easiest. I really don't know what the hell I was thinking but damn if it wouldn't be the coolest thing ever. Thank gods I never tried it.

P.S. I blame Inspector Gadget. Not only for the claw idea but also for taking one my fathers expensive books and using watercolors to paint it like the 'computer book' that Inspector Gadgets daughter Penny had. ;)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I dreamed I was a Ninja Turtle (Michaelangelo or Raphael).

I dreamed of swimming with dolphins in one of the oceans, which I did last week when coincidentally, 3 or 4 dolphins swam very close to the beach. :cool:

In fact, here's a list of things I wanted to be when I was young:
    - The Karate Kid
    - astronaut
    - Ninja Turtle (Michaelangelo or Raphael).
    - Inspector Gadget
    - Mega Man
    - black
    - NHL hockey player (GO LEAFS!!)
    - that kid from Neverending Story who flew on that big dog
    - a Transformer
    - George Jetson
    - Balky Bartokomous

Damn that's weird.

I've got more things to add to my list, but I don't want to embarrass myself.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Always wanted to be in the movies......oh and under cover cop for some reason.

Bless

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

When I was little, I would have been very happy to have been a Jedi when I grew up. :cool:

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hmmm... not dead of nuclear incineration, primarily. Dreamed almost every night about bombers and missiles and where the best place in the house would be to shelter from radiation, (as if closing both the venetian blinds AND the drapes AND pulling the covers over my head would make a difference).

How many other children of the '60s are warped like me?

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

That would be me then,especialy around the time of the Cuban missile business.I've since learned I was right to be anxious.I also had dreams about Atlanta(I think) burning as in Gone wih the wind.I figure they were nuclear anxiety as well.

We, in fact, only learned just last year at a summit meeting that the world was literally one word away from nuclear war then. Russian submarines were under attack by US destroyers. It was learned last year that they had nuclear-tipped torpedoes and two of the commanders authorized their use assuming a nuclear war was going on. A third one countermanded that order, and that's why you and I are talking right now.

http://www.chomsky.info/interviews/20031119.htm

18. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

That's interesting. I had pretty much exactly the same fear when I was quite young, though I'm not from the '60s. I have no idea what sparked mine. Glad it's gone though

19. mpw Guest

I always wanted a huge cock...

....or an ostrich so I could have bigger eggs at breakfast.

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I was a child of the 70s and definitely had some dreams about this... I suspect my nightmares came from some of those really horrible movies that were out. I still recall the milkbottles melting on a doorstep and a female character who was raped and then gave birth to a mass of bloody tissue rather than a child. Very scary...

I'm sure that I dreamt of nice things too but sadly, I can't recall those with so much clarity. Being able to buy lots of books and go on lots of planes ring a bell...

21. Lau Guest

Yeah, me too, and I'm an 80s kid. I went through a veritable bonanza of irrational fears at night - that my mum would leave in the night, that the house would burn down, that when they built the channel tunnel a mad french rabid dog would come through and bite me, and I'd die frothing in the street. :D And then when I found out about all the nuclear stuff, of course! With my track record, how could I not be scared of it? :rolleyes: But then, eventually I got over it, but then went and looked round a nuclear bunker when I was 16 or so, and didn't sleep for 2 nights....:eek:

Anyway, as far as fantasies go (in a vain attempt to not look like a total basket case :p ), I always wanted to design my own water park, with chutes, and whirlpools and stuff. I used to draw all these detailed plans on loads of printer paper stuck together. I wanted to be an inventor, and made all these crazy models out of cardboard. Oh, and I never wanted any possessions. How strange is that?! Probably the thing I wanted most was to have a really simple room with just a few things in it, like being in the army, or a cavewoman. I've kinda ditched that now (!) but I still don't like to have a lot of stuff, it feels kind of suffocating.

22. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

When I was very young, almost before memory, I watched an animated movie about an aquatic boy and a fire girl that, years later, I found out was like Romeo and Juliet. For years and years I would dream about that, and the feelings of love and loss were so real that I would wake up with tears running down my face, feeling so sad. I never found out what movie it was.

When I was 10 or so, I swam competitively, and found my total affinity for being in water. I could hold my breath for a long time, and swim down to the bottom of the dive tank. I would feel so at peace down there, and so free, like every movement was flight. I wished I could somehow live in the deep. When my parents got a hot tub, at night I used to curl up, under the water, at the bottom, and dream. Luckily I never drowned.

When I was a bit older, I was in martial arts. I would fantasise about ways that I would heroically die, saving many people, from some bad guys. Bank robbers, terrorists, whatever. The borders between fantasies and nightmares blurred when for years I would have nightmares about having to fight some unstoppable enemy. Typically is would be totally invincible, and a single strike from it would be fatal, like poison, or something that would take me over and make me one of them. I would have to neverendingly fight it, always one instant away from defeat. I would wake up so tired in the morning.

When I was a little boy, I was convinced that I had some super power, that I had yet to discover. I'm still searching :)

23. applegirl macrumors regular

applegirl

Between the ages of 4 and 7 I wanted to be a ballerina. Our city has an amazing ballet company and when I was young my parents were immersed in the dance subculture; I not only took lessons but spent a lot of my time around dancers so it had a huge influence on me.

Of course I also had the "typical" childhood fantasies, believing that I could be a superhero and whatnot. It's strange how much you actually believe that it's possible when you're young. :)

24. deanwaterman macrumors regular

I always wanted to be president of the USA. And since I am only 36, I still have many years to pursue that dream!

25. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

.. to make the NHL. The dream soon died however.