What are the advantages and disadvantages of Macs and PCs?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Shrek, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I want to get an iMac, but first I need to know in what ways is it better than a PC. Here's a little tidbit to help ya'll out:

:D

Just for the record folks, I rarely play games on my computer; if I do play games, it's usually at a friends house on a console. But I do like to surf the Internet and listen to music. I would also like to be able to watch DVD movies, burn CD's, and burn DVD's. I would like something that has plenty of firewire and usb ports. And yes, I do work with graphics occasionally. I would like to have something that's portable, but it doesn't have to be "ultra-portable" (I don't plan on using my computer in the car, on a plane, a boat, a train, or whatever. I just want to be able to take it with me wherever I go and plug it into an outlet when I want to use it).

Despite the high price (I'm willing to shell out some extra bucks anyway, even on a PC), the new iMacs seem to fit my demands.

edit:

This is the system specs I am considering:

iMac 800 w/ 17" TFT Z05S $2,648.00

Apple Pro Speakers 065-3463

AirPort Card 065-2930

Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English 065-3691

Accessory Kit 065-3687

80GB Ultra ATA drive 065-3695

1GB SDRAM - 2 DIMMs 065-3580

SuperDrive 065-3010

56K internal modem 065-2927

APP for iMac/eMac - Enrollment Kit M7812LL/B $149.00

.Mac (Online Activation Key) D1783LL/A $99.95

Total $2,896.95

I also plan to get an iPod, Virtual PC 5, and a couple of games separate from the system, so I don't have to put that on my credit.

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

First off, welcome to MacRumors!

Right now you're basically looking at price and speed versus added value and reliability.

The iMac will do everything you want, and quite well, just not as fast or cheap as a PC.

The iMac will be more stable and easier to use/setup than a PC.

That's about it. Of course, I'm generalizing a bit to simplify things. The most important factor is how the computing experience works for you. If you have the opportunity I sugest you try to get some hands-on time with a new iMac, and then go from there.:)

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: What are the advantages and disadvantages of Macs and PCs?

The new iMAcs are a great value when you look at whats already included. Great software bundle, totally modern, practically crash proof OS thats very intuitive and easy to use. Ethernet and modem already included. Firewire and USB ports, good keybaord and mouse (though many like to get a different mouse for mroe buttons and scrollwheel, but the mac mouse itself is quite nice if you don't need the extras).

The flat screen an the new iMacs is just phenomenal. I don't even know of to describe it to you. You can adjust it to fit every little change in your seating position, making it practically transparent as you don't need to adjust yourself to the computer, it adjusts to you. Its hard to dsecribe how cool this is until you use it, and there is nothing like it anywhere else. Spend a little more and you get the 17incher, and that's a lot of screen realestate (roughly equivelent to a 19inch CRT)

If you went for the high end iMac, you get a DVD burner, which is really cool and is a pretty hefty extra cost on a PC. And the software for using it makes it relaly easy, whether for burning DVD's, CD's, or whatever. When you look at comparably equiped PC's that are of any quality, the iMac comes out looking pretty competitive in terms of price.

I'm not going to try and tell you all the ways in whcih a mac is better. What it comes down to is whether or not the computer works for you and if you like it. I can use a PC (I do at work), its fine, but has a lot of annoying little details. I think thats really the difference, its the subtle little details that sets a mac apart. from what you said, the iMac will work for you and I think you'd be very happy with it.

4. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Welcome to MacRumors, Shrek!

I know I'm not being particularly helpful with my 2 cents, but think of all the expert help you'll have available to you via this website after you bring your new Mac home!

(not that you'll need our help *too* much...things are just easier on a Mac):)

5. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Thanks ya'll. Have a couple of more questions for ya.

How well will an 800Mhz iMac with 1GB of RAM handle games compared to PCs?

How well does Virtual PC 5.0 work with Win XP Home on a Mac?

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The 17" iMac has a GeForce4MX card in it, so you've got decent video game performance. Certain games that rely on lots of CPU calculations (enemy AI, etc.) may lag a little compared to a PC.

VPC is pretty slow at this point, especially with a resource hog like XP Home. It would be the equivalent of running XP on a 400-500 MHz x86 chip (from what I hear).

If you get the iMac make sure to get as much RAM as you can afford. OS X really needs it to perform well, and if you're going to be running VPC you need to have the minimum RAM specs for each machine taken care of.

7. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Yes, I edited my post, if you haven't noticed. I want the 17" iMac with 800Mhz and 1GB of RAM. :D

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That machine should perform beautifully.

I want one, too!:)

9. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

10. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Coupla points:

Apple RAM is far too expensive, if your handy, get the minimum from Apple, and upgrade yourself.

The Apple Pro speakers sound pretty bad. You may wanna consider the Sounsticks/iSub (if driver issues under X have been resolved), or some Cambridge Soundworks, Altec Lansing, or similar speakers.

Another thing I would recommend, since you don't appear to have a bunch of old Mac software, remove OS9 when you get your machine. OS9 and OSX on one partition (as Apple ships it) can cause confusion especially with Carbon apps (those that run in both 9 & X). If you do feel that you'll want 9, I would suggest wiping the drive when you receive it, and partitioning it in a manner suggested by one of the hundreds of web guides.

I know it is hard to be disciplined when you want to play with your new toy, but a few hours of initial preparation can make your life far easier in the future!

Aside from that, you'll have a much better experience with a Mac than with a PC. It is 'luxury' computing.

11. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

I don't mind spending extra money on my Mac. If I were to get a PC, I wouldn't mind spending a similar amount of money on it.

Thanks for the tip. ;)

I'll see what happens, but thanks anyway. ;)

:D

12. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

When does MacOSX 10.2 come out? Just wondering because it says it will ship on August 24 on Apple.com and none of the retail stores seem to have it.

The new iMacs and the iPods say that they will ship in 2-4 weeks. Why is this so? If I purchased a Mac today would it have 10.2 on it?

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

If you ordered one today, probably not.

You would have to pay $20 for the update.

14. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    The retail store shouldn't have it until the announced ship date, which is 8/24. (or just after)

That's also when the computers themselves will have Jaguar preinstalled.

15. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I use a 15" superdrive Imac at work with 512 MB Ram in it, runs like a dream. We've burned a couple dvds with idvd and they were beutifal. And i've got a 17 " imac ordered, along with my mother has one ordered too. The geforce 2 in the imacs doesnt seem to be too bad either, played some spiderman and it was a rockin.

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

not sure if anyone's seen the new 17" in person.... the posters/pictures do not do it justice. it looks awesome. i saw the poster in the entrance of mwny and said "oh, ok" and then i saw it in person inside and i was wowed... as for it being like a 19".... probably not, just cause it's wide screen, which costs a bit of space. that said though, widescreen is damn sweet.

i have a dual 800 with gf2mx card. and i can run the latest games (medal of honor, wolfenstein, warcraft) with minimal problems. if you were to get the imac with gf4mx, you should be fine. though you don't have the upgrade option really...

all in all, i'd highly recommend the new imacs (maybe get apple to fill the one slot with 512 RAM if you can, then just buy another 512 from elsewhere and put it in- it's much cheaper....)

17. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Cool. But what kind of RAM do the new iMacs use? Where can I get this RAM?

18. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i think pc133 sdram (im not sure) n i think u can go to the local peecee store and buy some (unless i'm wrong and u need a diff kind of ram :S)

i still cant wait till the new pms are out :D, even tho i'll probably end up with a g3 imac

19. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Its very close to a 19" crt. the 15" iMac has the viewable area of a 17" CRT. remember that CRT measurements are quite different from their viewable area.

20. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Any specific brand names?

21. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

hmm not too sure, probably some ppl here would know what kind would work

22. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

http://www.crucial.com/ all the way, best ram i've used.....its all we use at my employment as well. It has a thing that you can find your computer and it tells you exactly what ram you need. Great Ram at Great prices.

23. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

The point I was making is not that you shouldn't spend money on the extra RAM, but that Apple RAM costs $550 to go from 256MB to 1GB.

A reputable memory vendor will charge about $300 for the same RAM. You can use that $250 for half of your iPod!

24. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I agree with previous posters and would recommend getting the minimum RAM from Apple. My best experience, as far as buying memory, is with the folks at datamem.com. They will tell you exactly what you need at a very good price - I believe it's cheaper than Crucial and all others, and I have never had a problem with the chips.

25. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

What about getting Kingston Memory for an iMac? Would that work well?