Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
memory

Since you cannot access the SDRAM chip in the iMac, get that with a 512MB chip. Then go and get a good chip (SODIMM, PC133). Don't get generic memory, but stuff that is guranteed to work with your system. I do know that all the memory sold by Mohawk Memory has a lifetime gurantee on it. You want to make sure that the memory vendor that you use has a similar policy in effect (and in writing). To make it a little easier, check out their prices for memory for the iMac G4 700/800 Flat Panel.

As for partitioning up the hard drive, I wouldn't bother. I have every system that has OS X installed on it with a single partition. Every tech within the company I work for is running it with a single partition (with both OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.1.5) without any problem at all. We will be rolling out OS X to all the Mac's within our company with the drive as a single partition (well over 1000 Mac's). Some people seem to think that having multiple partitions will benefit them for one reason or another, I have yet to see any real justification for those claims. In the end, make your own decision, just don't blindly follow someone that claims that partitioning up your drive and moving things all over the place will make things run better/faster/smoother. :rolleyes: :D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
The only reason I see to partition a drive is for data backup, rather than performance.

A partition just for documents is usually a good idea, in addition to CD backups, network storage, Firewire drives, etc. :)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
The only reason I see to partition a drive is for data backup, rather than performance.

A partition just for documents is usually a good idea, in addition to CD backups, network storage, Firewire drives, etc. :)

I find that keeping your drive moderately organized with one partition is very easy. I have been known to fill up drives with files and applications. The main drive inside my computer at work is well over 1/2 full. I just installed a spare 20GB drive into it, which is over 75% full now as well. I have to keep a few revisions back of the utility cd that I create (in case it is needed for some reason) as well as a few of the application install cd's (as disk images). It all adds up rather fast (especially when I have to create two versions of the utility cd, one per site).

Hell, even my TiBook hard drive is 25% full at the moment. I will be installing some additional software soon, as well as doing some scanning, so that percentage will be going up rather soon.

So much for the days when people couldn't understand the need for a drive over 2GB in size.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Shrek
Thanks ya'll. Have a couple of more questions for ya.

How well will an 800Mhz iMac with 1GB of RAM handle games compared to PCs?

How well does Virtual PC 5.0 work with Win XP Home on a Mac?

As far as Virtual PC goes, it runs okay on my dual 800, although I doubt it takes advantage of both processors. It seems about like a 400 MHz PC. I'm currently running Win98SE so it's acceptable.

As far as memory goes, I always go to OtherWorld Computing. I like TechWorks, but OtherWorld has their own line and they have been compliant with all of Apple's machines in contrast to some of the other vendors. They're at http://eshop.macsales.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.