Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DocDoom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Anyone know of any good Beat making/ Music production apps. I have tried BeatMaker, but it crashes more than half the time. I'm looking for something that you can upload samples to, like an MPC. Any suggestions?

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I used to have BeatMaker. Lucky it never crashed on me. You could load up samples to it.

It was fun to play with but it couldn't render a midi file. You could output a wav but you can't really edit that. If it could output the midi you could then load it in to your DAW and let load the samples up to it

Nevpaurion

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Seattle/Houston
I use the Harmonicdog MultiTrack DAW.

From a professional audio engineer's point I'd say the app is pretty much amazing. I've recorded ideas up to 8 tracks long so far without a hitch. You can listen through the headphones to whatever you choose to monitor while you do over dubs, punch in and out, adjust stereo imaging, levels it's pretty much the neatest thing I've ever had for on the go.

As far as beat making goes I don't think it has a whole lot of to offer in that field, mainly for music production and recording real instruments live.

asr10 user

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I love beatmaker, and havent had any issues. So I cant help you with the sequencer part. But I got Guitar, Piano Studio (both by Frontier) and Xenon to go with Beatmaker.

Between these I can do pretty much everything I do on my MPC 4000. Only problem with beatmaker is one pad bank, but the are saying beatmaker 2 will have unlimited.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
nano studio hands down. I have it and have made a bunch of songs on it. I would honestly say its more advanced than Garage Band software wise, which is saying alot considering its a phone app. the only thing its missing are instruments other than synths. there are over 100 preset intruments but they are all synths, and none are guitars or other instruments. Also, you can only have 4 instruments and 2 drum tracks going on for one song. if you want a 5th instrument, too bad. but I would say those are the only negative things about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stcf_8H_qVM&feature=related

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Well, I'm kind of old, and have been. In the business for over three decades...The best software I ever found was cubase, and apps like garage band egc, are ok, if you just want to workshop ideas...in fact GB is good for that, late at night cans on etc.

If you really want to be serious, and I'm not knocking folks who just have fun, that's great too, but a decent board won't cost you a lot these days, and with virtual tracking, it's what you do with it.

It need not cost the earth either. ...I reckon a good starter board, + logic and some half decent maybe secondhand studio mikes...rough figure?
about £2500.00 or us $4000.00 not a lot to spend if you want to get started...I've worked with people who have spent less and had great results too. It's all about how you use what you have, and how committed you are...:)

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Well, I'm kind of old, and have been. In the business for over three decades...The best software I ever found was cubase, and apps like garage band egc, are ok, if you just want to workshop ideas...in fact GB is good for that, late at night cans on etc.

If you really want to be serious, and I'm not knocking folks who just have fun, that's great too, but a decent board won't cost you a lot these days, and with virtual tracking, it's what you do with it.

It need not cost the earth either. ...I reckon a good starter board, + logic and some half decent maybe secondhand studio mikes...rough figure?
about £2500.00 or us $4000.00 not a lot to spend if you want to get started...I've worked with people who have spent less and had great results too. It's all about how you use what you have, and how committed you are...:)

He's looking for an app that he can carry around on his ios devices...Not a $4000 board. I get what ur saying, but it's not what he's looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.